Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question about performance options on 2009 model.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlightSuit
I must say that riding in my friend's Mustang and reading all about the performance mods and drag strip adventures in this section of MustanForums has really given me a lot of respect for the V6 Mustang as a serious performance car.

I'm old enough to remember the 1980s, when anything less than a V8 Mustang was pretty much just a nice looking car without a lot of potential. My friend's V6 however, even with the automatic transmission, and even with the added weight of a convertible top, really has a whole bunch of low-end torque.

And it's so solid and sure-footed compared to the pony cars of yore! How Ford was able to put together a convertible with such a lack of squeaks and rattles and such a lack of chassis flex is truly beyond me.

I am now convinced that the V6 S197 is such a good car that the V8 is just plain overkill. Why pay extra and get poorer fuel economy when the base engine is this good?
If you look at the post below yours, "Mustangfirst" has the pony package. The small fogs in the grille are a give away. Sounds like a v6 premium, as stated that is basically all appearance upgrades. When I bought mine I remember asking the salesman what the difference was between a "premium", a "pony package", and a "base." He didn't know so he asked another salesman. The older guy said "I have sold mustangs for 20 years and there is no such thing as a 'Premium" package'." I said you have them on your lot and he said 'whatever'. So I walked away, if you can't tell me what I paying extra for, then I buy someplace else.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I must say that riding in my friend's Mustang and reading all about the performance mods and drag strip adventures in this section of MustanForums has really given me a lot of respect for the V6 Mustang as a serious performance car.

I'm old enough to remember the 1980s, when anything less than a V8 Mustang was pretty much just a nice looking car without a lot of potential. My friend's V6 however, even with the automatic transmission, and even with the added weight of a convertible top, really has a whole bunch of low-end torque.

And it's so solid and sure-footed compared to the pony cars of yore! How Ford was able to put together a convertible with such a lack of squeaks and rattles and such a lack of chassis flex is truly beyond me.

I am now convinced that the V6 S197 is such a good car that the V8 is just plain overkill. Why pay extra and get poorer fuel economy when the base engine is this good?
It gets the same gas mileage, I laugh at people that buy the V6 because of that.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:20 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
It gets the same gas mileage, I laugh at people that buy the V6 because of that.
1 or 2 mpg shouldn't be too big a deal if you want a performance car anyways. The only reason(s) to buy a v6 that I can think of are as stated: Money, and age. And that is it.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:02 PM
FlightSuit

I'm pretty sure my friend's car doesn't have the fog lamps in the grille. So she's got a Premium. Darned nice car.

Regarding this assertion that a V6 with $8000 worth of mods is faster than a GT and cheaper: I don't doubt it, but I'm sure you're aware that here in California, things aren't so simple, due to our smog inspections and maintenance program.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:20 AM
VistaBlue09
1st Gear Member

I'm pretty sure my friend's car doesn't have the fog lamps in the grille. So she's got a Premium. Darned nice car.

Regarding this assertion that a V6 with $8000 worth of mods is faster than a GT and cheaper: I don't doubt it, but I'm sure you're aware that here in California, things aren't so simple, due to our smog inspections and maintenance program.
Yeah, it stinks here in California with the CARB police. Why the heck do they have that stupid visual inpection? If it can pass emissions, what else matters? Just one more way for big government to control our lives, and bleed money from manufacturers to get their CARB E.O. number.

And for all of you outside of California, watch out! If the federal Big Government types have their way you'll all be forced to suffer the same fate, and that clock is ticking...
Old 08-28-2010, 11:47 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Her VIN # would tell us miles about what she bought.

I suspect the salesman (woman) told her whatever
it took to get a sale just short of straight out lying to her...

There is no HP increased option from the factory for the 09 V6.
Does it have running ponies on the front fenders?
How bout a spoiler?
Old 08-28-2010, 02:55 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
1 or 2 mpg shouldn't be too big a deal if you want a performance car anyways. The only reason(s) to buy a v6 that I can think of are as stated: Money, and age. And that is it.
The 2010 4.0 and 4.6 at the local dealerships have identical window stickers for mpg. 17city/24hwy.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:25 PM
FlightSuit

I am further embarrassed to admit that I can't, off the top of my head, recall whether there are running ponies on the fenders or a spoiler out back.

Regarding fuel economy and performance, I'm sure I'm not the first person here to say this, but I am just utterly blown away by the fact that the 2011 V6 has over 300HP and gets over 30MPG. How is that even possible!? My Focus doesn't even get 30MPG!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My '07 GT with 3.55's gets maybe 1-2 MPG less than the g/f's '06 V6 Pony with 3.33's cruising highway (and we've put a lot of pump-to-pump highway miles on both). Trust me, after driving her V6 and my GT, I can't imagine how you can think the GT is "overkill" other than the fact that they are like night and day.

I agree that the dealer gave her a line of BS. There's nothing from the factory and there's not much aftermarket performance-wise other than a CAI & custom tune (a GOOD custom tune; not that canned crap from SCT or Diablo). Exhaust work is useless unless you're talking headers or unless you think 1-3 RWHP is worth the trouble. There are a few nickle and dime mods including free-up HP (UDP's, aluminum DS, weight loss, etc) but not much more unless you go FI.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:15 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
My '07 GT with 3.55's gets maybe 1-2 MPG less than the g/f's '06 V6 Pony with 3.33's cruising highway (and we've put a lot of pump-to-pump highway miles on both). Trust me, after driving her V6 and my GT, I can't imagine how you can think the GT is "overkill" other than the fact that they are like night and day.

There's not much performance-wise other than a CAI & custom tune (a GOOD custom tune; not that canned crap from SCT or Diablo). Exhaust work is useless unless you're talking headers or unless you think 1-3 RWHP is worth the trouble. There are a few nickle and dime mods including free-up HP (UDP's, aluminum DS, weight loss, etc) but not much more unless you go FI.
+1, damn 4.0L truck motors .

Quick Reply: Question about performance options on 2009 model.