Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang Magazines Are Useless!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Glad you recognize MMonthly as a good Mag because it is.
And I agree, most are not what they could be.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:20 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Out of the Various 'Stang Mags, I would like to see more in depth articles on porting and polishing, and an actual explanation and description on air flow and CFM and why porters do certain things to heads and what they want to achieve on the flow bench.

I would also like to see more in depth articles on FI and comparing supercharges of various types and even show compressor maps. Also, an explanation on how to read or at the very least understand compressor maps and how to make a good choice of compressor for whatever application you are trying to achieve: such as drag racing or top speed or continuous movement racing with little slowing down to almost a stop racing.

Same goes for turbos. And also articles on why you want to choose turbos with a specific compressor map for whatever application you want to do, Turbos, especially the laggiest ones, are usually good for massive top end power and not so good for drag racing or racing in which you must accelerate to speed from almost a dead stop.

Articles that compare compressor maps of one brand to another and why one would be better for one application and why another would be better for another and how to look at those compressor maps and make the correct determination which turbo or supercharger is for you and what you want your car to do.

Also, I would like to see in depth articles on nitrous. Include explanation of a nitrous curve, especially for the continuously variable (progressive) nitrous systems so you know just how much nitrous is being pumped into your intake.
And again, showing how to read, or at the very least, understand how to read those nitrous progressive curves so you can make the right choice of the right nitrous system for what you want your car to do.

These are things that I have not seen in a 'Stang mag yet.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Out of the Various 'Stang Mags, I would like to see more in depth articles on porting and polishing, and an actual explanation and description on air flow and CFM and why porters do certain things to heads and what they want to achieve on the flow bench.

I would also like to see more in depth articles on FI and comparing supercharges of various types and even show compressor maps. Also, an explanation on how to read or at the very least understand compressor maps and how to make a good choice of compressor for whatever application you are trying to achieve: such as drag racing or top speed or continuous movement racing with little slowing down to almost a stop racing.

Same goes for turbos. And also articles on why you want to choose turbos with a specific compressor map for whatever application you want to do, Turbos, especially the laggiest ones, are usually good for massive top end power and not so good for drag racing or racing in which you must accelerate to speed from almost a dead stop.

Articles that compare compressor maps of one brand to another and why one would be better for one application and why another would be better for another and how to look at those compressor maps and make the correct determination which turbo or supercharger is for you and what you want your car to do.

Also, I would like to see in depth articles on nitrous. Include explanation of a nitrous curve, especially for the continuously variable (progressive) nitrous systems so you know just how much nitrous is being pumped into your intake.
And again, showing how to read, or at the very least, understand how to read those nitrous progressive curves so you can make the right choice of the right nitrous system for what you want your car to do.

These are things that I have not seen in a 'Stang mag yet.
Amen JIM, thanks, great post. I'd like to see the same sort of thing with respect to the different tuners on the market on an in depth article on how they install and how the settings are adjusted. Different owners will want different settings depending what they are doing with their car. Let's get a greater understanding out there amongst Mustang guys other than the advertiser claims "X" amount of hp increase and somebody on a forum says "I can feel the difference in my car."
Old 09-04-2010, 02:45 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

I will admit there seems to be a lack of articles on 6xer's, I wonder why?
Old 09-04-2010, 03:03 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Snakebite64
I will admit there seems to be a lack of articles on 6xer's, I wonder why?
Heck there's a lack of articles on GT's. If it's not a GT500, Saleen or Rousch they don't want to talk about it. Heck the only GT's that get featured are the ones that have been modified beyond belief and only resemble a Mustang in that they have a Msutang body. lol

As far as the six bangers go, I've always thought that if someone came up with a Mustang magazine that was dedicated to just the 4 and 6 cylinder cars that it would be very popular, especially if it had a lot of "how to" articles.

Last edited by Whitehorse10; 09-04-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:15 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

For v6 coverage check out mustang enthusiast. Larry has covered xcharger installs. Did a piece of top 10 mods for the v6 and features a v6 car every so often. You can pay for a printed copy or read it free online.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:21 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Yeah, 4 & 6 coverage is way too far in between. More people have GTs, and I would guess just as many 'Stang owners own 6s.
Very few of us own Shelby GT500s/Cobras.

So, these articles are useless, just like said previously. Car mags have all become this useless "Show my boat" extravaganza that the how-to articles, which yes, they are still there, have been greatly reduced and are actually woefully lacking in useful information.

In a "how-to" tranny article in one 'Stang mag I read, the article itself was a damn show boat article! It was a damn showcase for what the tranny modder put into it to bullet-proof it, but there was NEXT TO NOTHING on how to actually take apart and rebuild that tranny properly with the upgrade parts.

In this same mag, there was a boasting of a 2011 GT, but again, another damn show boat article. Yes, they described the upgrades used (nitrous, LCAs, racing bucket seat, etc.), but there was not a lick of "how-to" in this article at all.
As a matter of fact, the guys who modded their 2011 GT 'Stang were such @$$-hoes that they refused to even disclose the nitrous kit model they used! These idiots left it to the car Mag writer to GUESS what the nitrous kit was rated for.

I am with the OP on this, and I feel as strongly as he does. REDUCE THE SHOW-BOAT ARTICLES, and focus more on educational info. There is tons of educational info these mags can write about. Newer gear, mods, upgrade, tunes, etc are coming out every month. And of course, newer cars come out every several years with lots of upgrades from previous years models so there is more great educational write-up the mags can focus on.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

When I got into modding, I was all over the magazines. Mostly for the advertisements to find out which websites offered what parts. But, rarely do you find any articles about the S197 V6, so I stopped buying. Occasionally I'll flip through one in the store, but that's it.

The mags to me are mostly "jerk off" material for fantasy mustangs you'd love to own. That's it.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
I really couldn't care less what you think Blacksmoke. Yes I want to see more "how to" articles on "stock" mustangs. It's good to have how to articles about other things like superchargers and and turbochargers, but give the reader some how to stuff with respect to general maintenace issues and repairs as well.

Exactly how many mags have you read?
Because I have seen plenty that include what you said you wanted to see.
And guess what? I could care less what you think about the mags.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:41 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
And guess what? I could care less what you think about the mags.
Than what are you posting on this thread for? I mean if it's not that deep for you and all.

And why are you yelling at just me? Obviously JIM and Biceps agree with me. You gonna yell at them too or what?

Last edited by Whitehorse10; 09-05-2010 at 01:44 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mustang Magazines Are Useless!!!