Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2011 V6 vs. 1970 Boss 302 WOW Surprised me !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 04:23 PM
adidas04
2nd Gear Member

mmm, i dont entirely agree or disagree with that last statement. the average car on the road is a 4 cyl economic car... or a 4200 lb SUV. So compared to all other cars, sure, the 4.0 doesnt sound bad at all. But the mustang, V6 or V8, is a sports oriented car; ei, a sports car. Gotta compare apples to apples. (its like comparing a single engine prop plane to an F16).

6.5 for a sports car....mmmm, not too quick. 5.4, much closer.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by adidas04
mmm, i dont entirely agree or disagree with that last statement. the average car on the road is a 4 cyl economic car... or a 4200 lb SUV. So compared to all other cars, sure, the 4.0 doesnt sound bad at all. But the mustang, V6 or V8, is a sports oriented car; ei, a sports car. Gotta compare apples to apples. (its like comparing a single engine prop plane to an F16).

6.5 for a sports car....mmmm, not too quick. 5.4, much closer.
I wasn't trying to compare it to other sports cars. I was making the point that compared to the average car you are around when you are out in traffic it is definitely faster. As far as 6.5 not being quick for a sports car. I'm not sure how old you are but there was a time not so long ago when that was regarded as damn good. The legendary 5.0 Mustangs of the 80's only did it in 6.4. The last version of a Celica GTS only did it in 7.3 and it was hailed by the automotive media as just such a great little sports car. A 2009 Miata MX-5 does it in 6.7 and given that it's a two seater "some" people would claim it's a more true sports car than a Mustang is. An 06 Pontiac Solstice did 60 in 6.5. You had to get the 30 grand GXP model to break into 5 second terriroty in that car. The list goes on and on but basically it works out like this. The more money you pay for a sports car the faster it will be. At 21 grand for a 4.0 V6 you are getting good performance at a good price. If you think 6.5 isn't that good for a sports car than all I can say is because it has a lot of company.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:40 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Ralph289
Wrong...
1970 Boss 302 weighs 3,335
2011 V6 weigh 3,540
The Boss was under rated at 290hp and 290tq and like you showed above, it's lighter than the current V6.

I don't know where the Consumer report got their specs but they're all wrong.
Bet they got it from the **** at Motor Trend back then, lol.
16 second on a quarter mile?? PLEEEEEASE

Anyway, more accurate numbers for the Boss 302 are:
0 to 60: 6.5 sec
1/4 mile: 14.8 @ 96mph
And that's on Polyglass tires (about useless by today standards) with a soso journalist driver.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:58 AM
adidas04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
I wasn't trying to compare it to other sports cars. I was making the point that compared to the average car you are around when you are out in traffic it is definitely faster. As far as 6.5 not being quick for a sports car. I'm not sure how old you are but there was a time not so long ago when that was regarded as damn good. The legendary 5.0 Mustangs of the 80's only did it in 6.4. The last version of a Celica GTS only did it in 7.3 and it was hailed by the automotive media as just such a great little sports car. A 2009 Miata MX-5 does it in 6.7 and given that it's a two seater "some" people would claim it's a more true sports car than a Mustang is. An 06 Pontiac Solstice did 60 in 6.5. You had to get the 30 grand GXP model to break into 5 second terriroty in that car. The list goes on and on but basically it works out like this. The more money you pay for a sports car the faster it will be. At 21 grand for a 4.0 V6 you are getting good performance at a good price. If you think 6.5 isn't that good for a sports car than all I can say is because it has a lot of company.

Weeell, we are talking modern cars here, not the old cars (at least thats how I took it). The "legendary" 5.0 of the 80s (which i own) is waaaaay old news and has VERY little shared tech compared to all new motors (wheather we're talking a modern V8 or a modern inline 4, ect).... not to mention that its over 30 years old.

Back to modern cars and 0-60 times; I guess it all comes down to car type and purpose. My original comment was written considering what I'd compare our mustangs to. i would not compare a mustang to a miata, or a solstice, or a celica... all are light weight, low HP cars designed for corning fun, ect. The same for comparison of our mustangs to other cars on the road, like, a tahoe, an accord, an aveo, ect.... all have their purpose, which does include having a decent 0-60 time.

HOWEVER, if one were to make that comparison (mustang vs. ALL other cars on the road right now), you might say that 6.5 0-60 isnt too bad at all.

And i def. dont mean to start a pissing match at all, I just stand 50/50 on this one... the comparison just doesnt seem to make a whole lot of sense so i kind of roll my eyes too.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:02 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Doesn't surprise me at all, those things were pure steel. They were fast in their day.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
The Boss was under rated at 290hp and 290tq and like you showed above, it's lighter than the current V6.

I don't know where the Consumer report got their specs but they're all wrong.
Bet they got it from the **** at Motor Trend back then, lol.
16 second on a quarter mile?? PLEEEEEASE

Anyway, more accurate numbers for the Boss 302 are:
0 to 60: 6.5 sec
1/4 mile: 14.8 @ 96mph
And that's on Polyglass tires (about useless by today standards) with a soso journalist driver.
That makes more sense pascal.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Wink

Originally Posted by adidas04

And i def. dont mean to start a pissing match at all, I just stand 50/50 on this one... the comparison just doesnt seem to make a whole lot of sense so i kind of roll my eyes too.
Alright, I'll try to make it more clear. Everytime I turn around there is some magazine or some poster on one of these Mustang forums who is complaining about how slow the 4.0 V6 Mustang is. I'm not saying that's you, that's just what happens a lot. I find myself asking "Is there some car in the same group and price range as the V6 that is just so much faster than the 4.0?" Nope. Next thing you known somebody (not you) will start comparing the 4.0 to cars like the 370Z or some other sports coupe that costs thousands of dollars more but for some reason just because the two share the same number of cylinders the 4.0 is supposed to be as fast. Why? Just because they both have a V6? Following that logic all 6 cylinder sports coupes should be as fast as a Porsche 911. There seems to be no accounting for the fact that those cars cost many thousands of dollars more and as a result they are of course going to be engineered to be faster. To hear some of these guys tell it the 4.0 is out there getting whipped by 10 year old Camry's with little old lady's driving them. All I was pointing out was that the 4.0 is still faster than most of the stuff on the road and where are all of these cars in the same price range that are supposed to be so much better performance wise?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 AM
adidas04
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I see your point there. I dont know the facts about the mustang V6s as well as you do so I can go with you on that point for sure.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:42 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

I thought the same thing when I bought my 07. Everyone said how slow the V6 was. Wrong. I am quite impressed with the performance I got with that car and my 2010 as well. It will still knock you back in your seat and get you to 60 in 6.5. This is why I was asking why this consumer reports article tested a 2010 or a 2011 v6. My 2010 puts out those numbers that they got with their 2011. Their numbers should be a LOT better than they were. I too remember growing up with the '87 5.0 and what a beast that car was considered in the day. It went 0-60 in 6.3 which is only slightly better than what my 4.0 V6 does now.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by j0nx
I thought the same thing when I bought my 07. Everyone said how slow the V6 was. Wrong. I am quite impressed with the performance I got with that car and my 2010 as well. It will still knock you back in your seat and get you to 60 in 6.5. This is why I was asking why this consumer reports article tested a 2010 or a 2011 v6. My 2010 puts out those numbers that they got with their 2011. Their numbers should be a LOT better than they were. I too remember growing up with the '87 5.0 and what a beast that car was considered in the day. It went 0-60 in 6.3 which is only slightly better than what my 4.0 V6 does now.
Like you and adidas, we have all grown up in the 80's and 90's driving those Mustangs and Camaro's. I really miss those days sometimes becuase the Mustang and Camaro were so much more popular back then and much more affordable to more people. I loved the old 5.0 and it was a blast to drive for a whole generation of Americans. I hear some of these young guys talking these days and I wish I could take them back to about circa 1989 / 1990 to see what it was like on the streets. At any rate, it means we have a good concept of what qualifies as a fast / quick / good performing car so like you j0nx, when I drove this 4.0 I sort of felt like I was back in one of those old 5.0's performance wise because it was so close. It just put a smile on my face and I knew I had to have it. I just get tired of hearing about what a slow car it is because I know better and I think some of these guys are just talking just to have something to say.

Last edited by Whitehorse10; 09-09-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 V6 vs. 1970 Boss 302 WOW Surprised me !!