Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I'm A Moron, but heres an exhaust question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 02:16 AM
MustangScott
1st Gear Member

Default I'm A Moron, but heres an exhaust question.

Well, I'm looking to start putting Mod's on my baby, and well, I just dont know where to go with it. But definetly intake and exhaust to begin with. I've settled on K&N CAI, but now i'm trying to figure out what kind of exhaust. I was thinking about going with flowmasters, but what is the difference between straight pipes, X and H?

One more question to throw in. What would be the con's of raising the car in the back? I'm thinking 20's on the back (maybe low pro) and 19's on the front with a 2 inch lift in the rear. Kind of set it up like old school muscle. I was wondering what the effect's on handling would be, the pro's and con's of such a mod, and if there would be a way to do it and counter the negative aspects of it.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:30 PM
sippystang

Default RE: I'm A Moron, but heres an exhaust question.

H or X pipe is only going to give you 1 or 2 horse power. it seem to me more people go with H pipe so I did. Ask the exhaust people. I also have 18 on my car. I was told you really don't want to go any bigger if you are looking for performance. I takes alot more to get them tire rolling. Now if it is for looks have at it Bro. [sm=hail.gif] to Mustangs of all years
Old 08-15-2005, 12:43 PM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

i can think of absoluteley no pros no lifting the back of the car that would out weigh how dumb it will look.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:59 PM
MustangScott
1st Gear Member

'Nother question. I'm trying to figure out this whole tuning thing. (i really wasn't joking when i said i'm a moron) What is the difference between a dyno tune and this Xcal2 tune thing. Pricewise and performance-wise and should i tune it after each Mod, or what? Just started getting into car's when i bought my Stang in March. So i'm way behind the knowledge power-curve. I was thinking do intake. Then get exhaust, and tune it immediately after the exhaust add-on... I was wondering if it is nescessary, or just highly recommended.

Ah, Cain, why would a 2 inch or so lift in the rear look bad? Old muscle cars were lifted in the rear, and this one is retro, i think it would have a nice...classic look.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:58 PM
rog6

This is coming from a 52 year old that was around and was hot rodding back in the "old school" days. The 2" lift is a bad idea. Throws the CG of a car WAY OFF. Yeah, we old schoolers made a few mistakes back then and jacking the rear up (mainly for tire clearance in those days) was the wrong thing to do. It can make for one ill handling street machine. Mind you, I'm not telling anyone what to do or not to do but "Old School" isn't ALWAY the best school.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:30 PM
MustangScott
1st Gear Member

Ah, rog6 thanks for the information, much appriciated.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: MustangScott

'Nother question. I'm trying to figure out this whole tuning thing. (i really wasn't joking when i said i'm a moron) What is the difference between a dyno tune and this Xcal2 tune thing. Pricewise and performance-wise and should i tune it after each Mod, or what? Just started getting into car's when i bought my Stang in March. So i'm way behind the knowledge power-curve. I was thinking do intake. Then get exhaust, and tune it immediately after the exhaust add-on... I was wondering if it is nescessary, or just highly recommended.

Ah, Cain, why would a 2 inch or so lift in the rear look bad? Old muscle cars were lifted in the rear, and this one is retro, i think it would have a nice...classic look.
Xcal Tune is a program loaded into the computers PCM/ECU whatever you want to call it (Brain) it's a generic set of parameters that affect timing, a/f mixtures, spark, and a few other things. The dyno is what tells you exactly what the power curves are for your car (HP and TQ) It's recommended to have a dyno tune done when you use a program to fine tune it to your cars unique characteristics. THe generic programs are a good start and usually enough if you're just doing an Intake or MAF, but when you get into exhaust, intake, and other aspects (especially turbo or Supercharging) it's almost a 'Must-do'.

The difference in HP and TQ of a program and no Dyno Tune vs a program w/Dyno Tune can be significant on the newer cars where the computer has taken over all the mechanical aspects of a carbuerator, distributor, etc.