Wierd clicking noise at 700rpm - MustangForums.com



V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #1  
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
MustangFirstCar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,228
Default Wierd clicking noise at 700rpm

So I noticed this morning that once my car had been started for a while, it would alternate between 700 and 1000 rpm. When it was at 700 and a little above, it made this odd clicking sound, but when it started to approach 1000 again, it would go away. Also, my dad said that when I put it in drive it made an almost squealing sound and when I went up the street "it didn't sound right". One of my friends also remarked that it sounded odd. I haven't noticed. Any general ideas about what could be wrong?
MustangFirstCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #2  
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert
 
157dB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 13,322
Default

Belt tensioner?
Clicking colud be the injectors firing...
Low oil viscosity?

I know.
The AC was on or the defrost that runs the AC?
Clicking was the freon conpressor clutch cucling and the
700 RPM idle was freon compressor clutch on and the
1000RPM was freon compressor clutch off.
The squeeling means its time for a new serpentine belt..
But just guessing....
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #3  
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
MustangFirstCar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,228
Default

Thanks for the quick response. I will be taking the car to a good mechanic within the week, so we will see how it goes from there. Hopefully it is not something expensive that will put my car out for a while; I have to drive every day.
MustangFirstCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:48 AM   #4  
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 12,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 157dB View Post
Belt tensioner?
Clicking colud be the injectors firing...
Low oil viscosity?

I know.
The AC was on or the defrost that runs the AC?
Clicking was the freon conpressor clutch cucling and the
700 RPM idle was freon compressor clutch on and the
1000RPM was freon compressor clutch off.
The squeeling means its time for a new serpentine belt..
But just guessing....
Lol you sound very indecisive.
2005Redfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #5  
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert
 
157dB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 13,322
Default

Always.

I would think its the AC systems proper operation....
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #6  
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
MustangFirstCar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,228
Default

Well I took it to get the oil changed and the tires rotated today (see my thread in the 05-11 general forum). I had the guys take a look and they said the clicking was probably the AC, like 157 said. As for the squeal noise, this morning me and my dad determined that it was not the transmission and was the brakes. The dude confirmed this, and said I had "a rust ring building up on [my] rotors", and I would need new ones sometime in the future. Guess it's a good opportunity to get some GT rotors and some hawk brake pads.
MustangFirstCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #7  
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 12,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar View Post
Well I took it to get the oil changed and the tires rotated today (see my thread in the 05-11 general forum). I had the guys take a look and they said the clicking was probably the AC, like 157 said. As for the squeal noise, this morning me and my dad determined that it was not the transmission and was the brakes. The dude confirmed this, and said I had "a rust ring building up on [my] rotors", and I would need new ones sometime in the future. Guess it's a good opportunity to get some GT rotors and some hawk brake pads.
I don't see how rust on the rotors would be possibe and cause you to have a squeak since the surface is wiped clean when you hit the breaks, rust on the HUB is normal and would not cause a squeak...
2005Redfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #8  
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
MustangFirstCar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6 View Post
I don't see how rust on the rotors would be possibe and cause you to have a squeak since the surface is wiped clean when you hit the breaks, rust on the HUB is normal and would not cause a squeak...
I dunno man. All I know is what he said.
MustangFirstCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #9  
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 12,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar View Post
I dunno man. All I know is what he said.
Did he mention anything about you buying rotors from them? .
2005Redfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #10  
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
MustangFirstCar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6 View Post
Did he mention anything about you buying rotors from them? .
No, but he said I could come in with some and he would slap em on cheap
MustangFirstCar is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Win $1500 Worth of RTR Parts - AmericanMuscle AMAlexLazarus AmericanMuscle.com 3 10-02-2015 08:06 AM
What other parts should I be concerned about if my pinion bearing went bad? KingRando 2005-2014 Mustangs 5 10-02-2015 08:06 AM
Clicking when turning left or right gagemcc V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs 1 09-22-2015 09:43 AM


Tags
08, 2005, 2006, 40, clicking, ford, freon, gt, idle, mustang, mustangt, noise, sound, tapping, v6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.


© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.