Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP WITH MODS! 2005 V6 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Max Duncan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s...ut-tuners.html

FORD T-LOC

HOW A LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL WORKS

(GOOGLED it, total time 1 min 30 seconds)

Read up and then come back with some more detailed
questions with the final objective to be obtained.

Thanks both of those links helped a lot.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Max Duncan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
Our v6's come with an open differential, that means the right tire spins only, a limited slip will get both tires to spin, that helps with better launches and burnouts if you choose to do that, as for gears, our cars come with a final drive ratio of 3.31:1 which means our driveshaft turns 3.31 times per 1 rotation of the tires if you increase the final drive to 3.73 or 4.10 then the engine will spin the tires quicker, with this however fuel economy suffers somewhat because the engine will run at higher rpms. Gears and a limited slip might be the best bang for your buck outside of forced induction. Think about what you want to do to your car however, but there are a lot good people here who can help you with whatever you need.

By far this is the most helpful post. You've convinced me of buying both haha
Old 10-16-2010, 10:46 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Max Duncan
By far this is the most helpful post. You've convinced me of buying both haha
I just cant tpye or the info would come forth like a wave at a water park.

I am the cutr n paster expert because of this downfall of my finger to brain
connectionb.

Its in there but I cant gwet it out

Askem specifics so I dont have to rite a book and the answers come farster.

btw, the V6 exhaust flows free enough OEM that any HP increase
claims by aftermarket axle back mufflers manufacturers are bogus
get a GT manual transmission take-off muffler, they are da bomb and cheap

Last edited by 157dB; 10-16-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:36 AM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

I don't want to convince you to do something, I just want to offer sound advice, if you do decide to get the gears and limited slip, take it to reputable shop or a mustang specific garage, install is roughly 4 hrs of time at a cost around $250-300. On the way of exhaust he's right you won't gain much at all, just a nice exhaust note.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

obxdude and 157db speak the truth. If you change your rear end out, don't take it down to the local Firestone or Sears. You'll likely get some wrench monkey that has spent the last five years doing nothing but balancing tires and doesn't know how to tackle a job like that. If it's not done right it can eat your gears up and you'll just be out the money. Take it somewhere that knows what they are doing on your Mustang. I don't know how big your city is but in most of the larger cities there will usually be at least one or two guys at the Ford dealer that are their designated Mustang experts. It can't hurt to get friendly with them.

Also it's true about the exhaust systems. They are really all about look and sound for the V6, they won't do a thing to make your car faster.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:15 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I dont know what post to answer as you have multiple posts asking
the same question.
Frowned on around these parts.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:22 PM
2007 grimlock stang
1st Gear Member

Max, here's how gears can help. If we were in an empty parking lot, and I said, "Max, take the keys to my Stang and drive it like you stole it!", you'd find that you could lay rubber tar for 20 ft at just quarter throttle. THAT's how gears help! Muwahahahahahah!!!!!!! Read some of my posts on gears for all the FUUUUN details!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 12:31 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by 2007 grimlock stang
Max, here's how gears can help. If we were in an empty parking lot, and I said, "Max, take the keys to my Stang and drive it like you stole it!", you'd find that you could lay rubber tar for 20 ft at just quarter throttle. THAT's how gears help! Muwahahahahahah!!!!!!! Read some of my posts on gears for all the FUUUUN details!!!
Yea, loss of traction. WoooHooo.
Thats what he is trying to AVOID...
Now hooking up and departing the area quick...
Thats a neat trick...
Taking diameter off of your tires is only fun
if BOTH are doing it at the same time.
The one wheel peel is not that cool for school.

Last edited by 157dB; 10-16-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:46 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Loss of traction can be erased by more rubber that comes in contact with the ground and most importantly and overlooked is knowledge of a car and how to drive one. If you want to have fun sign up with NASA auto racing, find an event near you and sign up for it and go have some fun, I just got back from their event at virginia international raceway, you will gain so much respect for cars and what they can do and will have a lot of fun at the same time.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Max Duncan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
obxdude and 157db speak the truth. If you change your rear end out, don't take it down to the local Firestone or Sears. You'll likely get some wrench monkey that has spent the last five years doing nothing but balancing tires and doesn't know how to tackle a job like that. If it's not done right it can eat your gears up and you'll just be out the money. Take it somewhere that knows what they are doing on your Mustang. I don't know how big your city is but in most of the larger cities there will usually be at least one or two guys at the Ford dealer that are their designated Mustang experts. It can't hurt to get friendly with them.

Also it's true about the exhaust systems. They are really all about look and sound for the V6, they won't do a thing to make your car faster.
I live in the bay area in California so there are at least 3 Ford dealerships within 30 miles of my house. Thank you I will definitely take it to one of those.

Quick Reply: HELP WITH MODS! 2005 V6 4.0