Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP WITH MODS! 2005 V6 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Max Duncan
1st Gear Member

Default HELP WITH MODS! 2005 V6 4.0

Should I buy a bbk cold air intake or a flow master american thunder axle back exhaust for my 2005 v6?? Let me know. I'm looking for the biggest hp gain, I don't really care about the sound of either one.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:36 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Biggest hp gain is gonna come from a tuner/intake combo. If you can't afford the combo then tuner with custom tunes is gonna get you the most hp.

edit:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/05-07-....html#shop-by2

http://www.brenspeed.com/

Last edited by X3xMONGOOSEx3X; 10-11-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Max Duncan
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I'm always on american muscle haha. As far as the tuner goes, I know dealerships won't mess with my car's computer because of legality issues, but I am also hesitantant to take it to some where that doesn't specifically specialize in mustangs. Where do you suggest I take my car to get it tuned assuming I do buy the sct tuner??
Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 AM
TheBocSez

If you order a tuner from AM, VMP, Brenspeed, ect... and it come with tunes (either canned or custom from the seller) its a simple matter of you plugging the tuner into the OBD port under the dash and following the directions provided and the prompts on the tuner. Takes about 15min to do. No need for a dealer or specialty shop to upload them for you.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The CAI & tune combo is your biggest bang-for-the-buck short of going FI. ANY exhaust work after your Y-pipe won't gain you much RWHP, if any. Going to duals may gain you a few minor HP.

BTW, ditch the Chevy license plate frame...
Old 10-12-2010, 01:32 PM
2007 grimlock stang
1st Gear Member

Some good advice given here Max. Nuke, when I put in my FRPP 4.10s and T-Lock, I'd have to say the seat-dyno observed a good performance gain as well. If I could go back in time, it would be CAI/Tune and 4.10s/T-Lock. Anything else, N/A is just slim pickins here and there. I'm not taking this car F/I despite the significant increase.

When this motor is done as in life-expectancy, it's going on a stand and displayed in the garage as my 1st ever 'mod' motor HAHA. In will go the new FRPP BOSS 302 Crate/engine management system or 5.0 as I'm sure by then Ford will provide a plug-n-play system for that motor as well for us S197s. I'm gonna do another N/A bolt on adventure with that one using my experience gained havin fun with the 'ol 4.0.

So many options, so many directions we can go. I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:03 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Yea a tune and a CAI first, then gears and a T-loc, if you ever plan on FI, a 8.8 rear end would be a great upgrade. I will be eventually putting the 4.6 in my car and I wish I added the 8.8 instead of upgrading the 7.5 rear-end.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Max Duncan
1st Gear Member

How exactly does adding different gears help? And I heard the t-loc is meant for traction and burning out. But why would your tires burn out if you had good traction? Plus isn't that not good for the tires? I don't know anything about t-locs so let me know if I'm way wrong.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:09 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Max Duncan
Thanks. I'm always on american muscle haha. As far as the tuner goes, I know dealerships won't mess with my car's computer because of legality issues, but I am also hesitantant to take it to some where that doesn't specifically specialize in mustangs. Where do you suggest I take my car to get it tuned assuming I do buy the sct tuner??

https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s...ut-tuners.html

Originally Posted by Max Duncan
How exactly does adding different gears help? And I heard the t-loc is meant for traction and burning out. But why would your tires burn out if you had good traction? Plus isn't that not good for the tires? I don't know anything about t-locs so let me know if I'm way wrong.
FORD T-LOC

HOW A LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL WORKS

(GOOGLED it, total time 1 min 30 seconds)

Read up and then come back with some more detailed
questions with the final objective to be obtained.

Last edited by 157dB; 10-16-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:13 AM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Our v6's come with an open differential, that means the right tire spins only, a limited slip will get both tires to spin, that helps with better launches and burnouts if you choose to do that, as for gears, our cars come with a final drive ratio of 3.31:1 which means our driveshaft turns 3.31 times per 1 rotation of the tires if you increase the final drive to 3.73 or 4.10 then the engine will spin the tires quicker, with this however fuel economy suffers somewhat because the engine will run at higher rpms. Gears and a limited slip might be the best bang for your buck outside of forced induction. Think about what you want to do to your car however, but there are a lot good people here who can help you with whatever you need.

Quick Reply: HELP WITH MODS! 2005 V6 4.0