Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 H pipe and JBA vs. Ninnosport exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Marky82
2nd Gear Member

Default V6 H pipe and JBA vs. Ninnosport exhaust questions

Hey guys my name is Mark, I'm new to forum and just picked up a 2007 Mustang Convertible with a V6. I want to add an exhaust and after doing some searches I believe GT take offs are my best option. They're inexpensive with a deeper note and have no drone on the highway.I love doing this kind of stuff so I would like to install at home if possible. I have my own welder if needed.

My first question is regarding an H pipe. I can't find any place online that sells one for the V6 besides the JBA kit which is rather pricey (around $700). It looks like everyone had one custom made at a muffler shop. I see X pipes are available but I heard they give more power and sound raspy at higher rpms. I'm not trying to make my V6 a speed demon. I'd much rather have a deeper exhaust sound over more power (although having both would be the jack pot). Have any of you made a custom H pipe at home? If so, how did you do the bends?

I guess my other options would be to purchase the JBA or Ninnosport conversion kit. The JBA has comes with a H but the Ninnosport comes with a Y pipe. How much better is the H pipe vs. the Y? Is the sound much better with the H? It I went with either of these the JBA will cost double. Is it worth the extra money?

Nino kit: http://www.ninosport.com/Ninosport-D...5-p/nsv605.htm

JBA kit: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...st-With-Y-Pipe

Your help is greatly appreciated!

//mark
Old 11-17-2010, 08:40 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Congrats and welcome to the forum!
You may get a better response posting in the V6 Technical Discussion. Also, I would suggest using the "search" function to read up on past threads/posts regarding exhausts and H Vs. X pipe. Click on "search" and type in key words and see what you can find. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Marky82
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I've reposted in the V6 Technical Discussion (I didn't know how to move or delete this thread).

I've done a bunch of searching on the H and X and everyone says the H for sound and the X for speed. I care about the sound, I'm wondering if anyone's made one at home or if they know of a place I can purchase one online. If you can't make it at home or get it online I'll have to decide between the JBA and Nino kits.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:27 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Marky82
Thanks, I've reposted in the V6 Technical Discussion (I didn't know how to move or delete this thread).

I've done a bunch of searching on the H and X and everyone says the H for sound and the X for speed. I care about the sound, I'm wondering if anyone's made one at home or if they know of a place I can purchase one online. If you can't make it at home or get it online I'll have to decide between the JBA and Nino kits.
Yes, that is what I read as well. H pipe has a better sound and Xpipe is more for performance, however the performance gains on dual exhausts are minimal.
Have you searched the following websites?

www.AmericanMuscle.com
www.newtakeoff.com
www.v6mustangstuff.com
Old 11-17-2010, 05:19 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

I'm running the Ninosport kit. I'm happy with it, its more of an appearance mod if anything...I knew I wasn't gonna get much of an HP gain if any. I'm running GTB's with it and it has a good sound to it, nothing overexaggerated
Old 11-17-2010, 09:36 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Alright, if you're going with dual exhaust don't mess around with the Y-pipe crap. You want either an X or H pipe. JBA makes an H-pipe and midpipe setup for something like $300. It has everything you need minus the mufflers. I bought mine from v6mustangstuff, but I couldn't find it on their site. Maybe another vendor still carries it...
Old 11-17-2010, 10:46 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

You could always just get the H Pipe from a GT, and have it welded on after the stock cats.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:15 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

yea i got a h pipe from a GT and it made a night and day difference between that and the y pipe that came with my magnaflows
Old 11-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Marky82
2nd Gear Member

I didn't know the GT's H pipe would fit. I'll probably do that since I can weld it myself.

Thanks everyone
Old 11-18-2010, 05:08 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Marky82
I didn't know the GT's H pipe would fit. I'll probably do that since I can weld it myself.

Thanks everyone
It's not a direct fit as the pipes after the cats are 2.25" and the H pipe is 2.5". You cut the stock pipes just after the stock cats. Just fit the GT H over the stock pipes and weld.

Quick Reply: V6 H pipe and JBA vs. Ninnosport exhaust questions