Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Mustang,lots of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 PM
blmustang

Default New Mustang,lots of questions!

I just picked up a 2010 Mustang V6 Premium,only 6000 mile and its a great car,I'm coming from a 2000 Focus
and the technology is so advanced,
not that I work on cars but,
things like no transmission dipstick,5000 mile oil changes,no gas cap,systems being analyzed by a computer,
Sync, my how things have changed!

There are many things I'd like to ask now,but my first concern is that the car didn't come with a manual,the dealer said there wasn't another around and he gave me a 2011 manual,said there the same car,
I don't think so!Two engines pictured in 2011,
mine isn't one of them!
I know nothing of this car,I guess I can figure out how the dash and interior works,the buttons and controls are the same I guess.
But of course,I want to know what kind of engine is in it.
What are its specs,all I know is its 6 cylinders,4 liters.
How much horse power does it have or should have?
Hopefully,I attached a dealers stock picture and that is my engine,is it the S197?
I think I need to get the manual for many reasons,while I don't do engine work,I change the oil,antifreeze, light bulbs(dont laugh),where's the fusebox,the fuel filter,maintenance schedule, things like that, does anybody know how I can get the manual,Ford,online?

Thanks for the help and advice,
Brian
Old 12-16-2010, 07:18 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I can't believe the dealership told you '10 and '11 are the same car because they are NOT the same engines though same body style.

Would recommend doing a search on Google for the owners manual for the correct year model.

Welcome to the mustang world and the new car, but I am a little surprised you did not do research prior to purchase.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:23 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the new car! You should go back to the dealer and demand a 2010 owners manual. You should have also received 2 keys so if you didnt get the second one they need to give it to you. You have a 4.0 v6 engine with 210 hp 240 torque at the crank not rear wheel. Enjoy and get ready for the modifications bug to bite!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:57 PM
blmustang

I have to go back to the dealer anyway to pick up the plates,so I guess I'll,as you say "demand" the proper manual.Mean time,I'll check Google.
And as far as research is concerned,when my wife said she always wanted a Mustang that was all the research I needed.
She says I'm the Man...when we talk about maintenance schedules,thats ok,because I am the man.
Gotta find the manual.
Thanks for the advice,
Brian
Old 12-16-2010, 09:10 PM
blmustang

By the way,is this the S197?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:49 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Yes, your model is an S197. The car, not the engine. The engine is the 4.0L V6 3v with 210 HP.

You will have a great time with that car. They are fun, to say the least. Can we get some pictures of your car? We love pictures.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:56 PM
blmustang

Thanks MustangFirstCar,
I just found the manual on the Ford site,PDF to download!
I still want the copy to keep in the car and I will pursue the dealer.
Take care
Old 12-16-2010, 10:02 PM
blmustang

Wish I could find and edit button!
Its been cloudy and cold in New York and haven't had a sunny day to take pictures so all I have is the dealer photo for now,I plan on creating a photo album,when I have some photos.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:21 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Yes its a S197 but because our body was completely redone for 2010 when looking for mods for your car they have to be model specific! I will recommend a true dual exhaust as one of the important visual mods as our cars just don't look right with only one exhaust pipe. After many months of listening to sound bites and videos on YouTube I decided to go with newtakeoff.com true dual exhaust, the price was right and it comes with GT mufflers. The kit comes with all you need for the install and looks/sounds good! If your wife is of shorter stature. I will recommend raising the height of the headrest so it doesn't push her head forward uncomfortably!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:29 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Nice color and like the rims! Lose the rocker stripes it will look much nicer, in my opinion! And the engine is S197 too as every 2005-2010 V6 have the 4.0

Quick Reply: New Mustang,lots of questions!