Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:36 PM
stang1012
1st Gear Member

Default What should I do?

I think I posted this in the wrong section so Ill try here.

I'm getting dual exhaust put on tomorrow and had a couple decisions..

First was x or h pipe?? What's the pros and cons??

I have 3 options to choose. I can put on gt mufflers for $300. Flowmaster 40 mufflers for $425 or I can get glasspack exhaust for $400 imco is the brand....

I think glasspacks have a cleaner look but I'm not sure how they sound. When I think of glasspacks I think cherrybomb and I think rice burner lol. I could be way off base but I don't want to lose the muscle car sound. I hate the way hondas sound. Its crap.

Then I figured you can go wrong with flowmasters. Just not sure if I wana spend the extra 125 to get it done. 300 was really my budget but who ever stays in budget? Do u think the extra dough is justified over gt mufflers?

what would you do??
Old 12-29-2010, 10:38 PM
CWyler
3rd Gear Member

Though all questions could be answered through a search....

X pipes offer better flow resulting in better performance
H pipes are preferred for better sound

The difference in the performance of the X over the H, and the sound of the H over the X is IMHO minimal. Anything is better than the OEM exhaust.

$300 for GT mufflers is sky high. People get them for less than $50 all the time.

As for muffler preference there is a thread around here somewhere with many different muffler options, youtube is your friend as well!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:01 PM
stang1012
1st Gear Member

sry let me clear it up, the prices include the conversion and labor...Ive also checked out youtube and its tough to hear on a computer. Im prob gona go with flowmaster but was hoping on some input from anyone with glasspack exhaust...

thanks for the info about x and h pipes..I think im going with an x
Old 12-29-2010, 11:13 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stang1012
I think I posted this in the wrong section so Ill try here.

I'm getting dual exhaust put on tomorrow and had a couple decisions..

First was x or h pipe?? What's the pros and cons??
[An X pipe is a pipe that, obviously, looks like an X, and an H looks like an H. The biggest difference is the sound. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Looks up some youtube videos on the different sounds X and H pipes have. H pipes sound a bit more like classic muscle car.]
I have 3 options to choose. I can put on gt mufflers for $300. Flowmaster 40 mufflers for $425 or I can get glasspack exhaust for $400 imco is the brand....
[You can get used GT mufflers for 25-50 bucks anywhere. There are a few in the classified section I believe. Between the glasspacks and the flows its really just sound preference. Once again, go to youtube.]
I think glasspacks have a cleaner look but I'm not sure how they sound. When I think of glasspacks I think cherrybomb and I think rice burner lol. I could be way off base but I don't want to lose the muscle car sound. I hate the way hondas sound. Its crap.

Then I figured you can go wrong with flowmasters. Just not sure if I wana spend the extra 125 to get it done. 300 was really my budget but who ever stays in budget? Do u think the extra dough is justified over gt mufflers?

what would you do??
[Personally I would get the GT takeoffs just for now. Have you looked into borla mufflers? I have heard some nice setups on sixxers. Some nice magnaflows out there too. Do some youtubing tonight and find a setup you really dig, and run with it.]
Answers in red.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

X-pipe is known to cause a bit more raspiness than the H. Regardless, it's a 6 and you're not going to get a deep rumble.

The GT takeoffs from a manual are a bit less restrictive than those off an auto and therefore have a little better tone. There's a few threads that include the 2 model #'s for the takeoffs. I've never heard glasspacks on an S197 so I can't say how they sound.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:49 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Some youtube videos with glasspacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyKs1GJx-KA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYpzoFgHObQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAFuaEtb7oM
Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 AM
stang1012
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help...I think I'm going to just go with gt mufflers for now.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:55 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I like the sound of the SLP Loudmouths and boomtubes. Feel free to look them up on Youtube!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Well tell us how it goes.

The SLPs are nice, but sometimes sound really ricey on a 6 depending on the setup.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:23 AM
stang1012
1st Gear Member

Do u guys think its worth an xtra 125 to put on flowmasters instead of gt mufflers