Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My v6 dilemma...Opinions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Franchise-SZ
1st Gear Member

Default My v6 dilemma...Opinions welcome

Whats up guys, I have been a overseer of the website for a long time just getting information.
My dream always is to get a mustang. Im 20 yrs old, going to college so here is my "situation"..

I currently drive a mazda , but for over a year i have been tracking a good mustang .But the thing is i want a GT , All for its meaner look , dual exhaust , fog lights , body kit, engine etc.....My thought is/was , if you have a mustang, it should be a mean GT +..

I dont want to say money is an issue, but i do have 25k a year for school, so a car for around 12,000-13,000 would be ideal, reall meaning a v6. And also my dad pushes me for the v6 strictly for the gas consumptiom and such a high insurance payment for the GT...

So just my reason for the post is to get opinions and feedback from you guys on your decision to get your 4.0 L v6's.

To be honest , it is all for look for me, and the sound of those exhausts . I would love a v6, but i can always add those additional aftermarket parts later at a high price though. But would never fake badge.

So i was hoping to get some feedback from you guys, any help on the situation or if any of you have been through anything similar. I am a mustang fanatic, during class i shop parts for a car i do not have haha.

Thank you everyone
Old 01-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

There was a GT siting at the dealership when up got my car and mom said no. even though I'm paying for it. But I love my car. I really love the way a 6 sounds with an exhaust. The only thing I don't like is the front bumper but that can be changed. you will love one.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:03 PM
revtime

Don't be afraid to get a V6. I have been a V8 guy my whole life with cars like a 1970 Roadrunner, 71 Cutlass S, 71 Chevelle, 1988 IROC Z 350 car, and 2 1994 Z28s, and this little V6 in my Grabber Orange 08 is a blast. It won,t pin you in the seat the way a V8 will but you will not be disappointed either. I wasn,t and I am jaded.
If your good with driving a manual transmission I highly reccomend getting one with the stick.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:35 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Nothing wrong with a v6, definitely get one with stick shift, get some dual exhaust for better sound, a CAI and SCT Tuner from American Muscle and you will be happy. When you are older and the insurance is lower (starting when you turn 25) get a GT. I bought my v6 with the sole intention to have a good looking inexpensive commuter car, I have done some mods like dual exhaust and SCT Tuner and trust me this car aint slow.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Franchise-SZ
1st Gear Member

Thank you guys for the reply...

My main concern is just the huge difference in the looks of a gt and v6. I do want to go fast, but i am not going to be racing it lol. I just want it to be a headturner..But when i see a gt next to a v6 i see so many differences in the look. I know that is something you can add, but it will be expensive. I guess i have to maybe find a v6 somewhat modded with a spoiiler, an a bigger front bumper. I can always add the duals, to have it sound like a GT. But i have not had luck finding an eye popping v6 through the different sites for car sales.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Franchise-SZ

My main concern is just the huge difference in the looks of a gt and v6. I do want to go fast, but i am not going to be racing it lol. I just want it to be a headturner..But when i see a gt next to a v6 i see so many differences in the look. I know that is something you can add, but it will be expensive. I guess i have to maybe find a v6 somewhat modded with a spoiiler, an a bigger front bumper. I can always add the duals, to have it sound like a GT. But i have not had luck finding an eye popping v6 through the different sites for car sales.
It is impossible to make a V6 sound like a V8 so if that is a concern for you I think you better find a good used GT. Personally I could give a rip what other people think about my V6. I have modded the crap out of it and unless a GT has also been modded a lot my V6 will beat it in every aspect. A also like the sleeker look of the V6 which you don't like so there again a good reason for you to find a GT. From your statements there is no way you will be satisfied with a V6 regardless if it handles better or goes faster then GT after modding it or before modding as far as handling goes with a Pony Package V6. They are lighter by around 130lbs and the drive train center is 1-1/4" lower along with GT sways front a rear. Makes for a real nice handling Mustang. But as you stated "it is all for look for me" so you better stick with a GT since that is the look and sound you like.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:34 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

OP you make it sound like the V6 is just a "plain Jane," I beg to differ.
When I was shopping for a Mustang, the V6 Pony Package caught my eye first. I personally do not like the big fog lights on the GT and is one of the main reasons for not getting one. I know it sounds crazy, but I thought for a car that I will drive mainly on weekends around town, I don't need all that extra hp. I had a GT and all the red necks on the road wanted to race me.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:40 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Nice Pony is absolutely correct, no v6 will ever sound like a v8! That said, you can have a nice sounding v6! What year mustangs are you looking at?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 PM
jnk3846

Originally Posted by Franchise-SZ

My main concern is just the huge difference in the looks of a gt and v6.
Its not that had to get the Gt look, just change the bumper ,grille and rockers . I love the look of my 4.0
Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 PM
revtime

you need to look harder. And don't be afraid to fly one way somewhere and drive the car back. I recently saw a very very nice 07 V6 with nice mods including the GT rear bumper and such with 18K on it for 14,000.