Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BBK CAI?????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
+1, I made this rookie mistake when I got the car. BBK no-tune. Bites.

The only confusion I still have since I no longer have the stock box and tube is what to replace it with. JLT I think is one, I just want to get the biggest gain one now and be done with it. Have the tuner already, so I can just ask the guy´s for a new one.

So the question that still remains...JLT or C&L for the most likely better gain one with a tune? I assume the likely answer is whichever has the largest overall maintained diameter to the throttlebody, in this case the likely answer from the 2 (for the GT flavor in my case) for our generation mustang would be the C&L here?*Pokes Nuke*
No poking! The g/f's out-of-town and I might snap...

The brand of CAI that performs better is pretty much irrelevant. Even one with a slightly larger MAF won't change your performance unless you're FI or you've made some mods so the engine can accept more air (cams, LT's...). So flip a coin.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Max Duncan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
Not even. Seriously, a CAI without a tune is worthless. Get the SCT tuner with the tunes from Bama for 400 dollars. Much better performance increase even without the CAI, and best part is, if you buy a CAI later, Bama will tune you for free.

What about a diablo predator? On craigslist someone is selling it for 200 brand new so I'm thinking of getting that. How much would that increase my 0-60 time?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It's not the handheld that makes the difference; it's the quality of the tune. The Diablo is a decent handheld but there aren't many vendors that are writing tunes for the Diablo. And the canned Diablo tunes suk. AM and Brenspeed write tunes for the SCT. Their tunes are top-notch.

And beware buying a used handheld. There are MANY horror stories of tuners being locked and the buyer having to spend $$ to get it unlocked, negating any savings from buying used.

It sounds like you really need to research this more before buying something impulsively and wasting your $$.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:32 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
It sounds like you really need to research this more before buying something impulsively and wasting your $$.
+1. Yea deff.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Max Duncan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
It's not the handheld that makes the difference; it's the quality of the tune. The Diablo is a decent handheld but there aren't many vendors that are writing tunes for the Diablo. And the canned Diablo tunes suk. AM and Brenspeed write tunes for the SCT. Their tunes are top-notch.

And beware buying a used handheld. There are MANY horror stories of tuners being locked and the buyer having to spend $$ to get it unlocked, negating any savings from buying used.

It's a brand new tuner never been used. And it comes pre loaded with the 93 octane I want. I'm not going to be adding any other mods to it other than that so I don't really need live updates on custom tunes or any thing fancy. And I would never buy a used one. But yea I'll look into it a little more
Old 01-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

That would be the Diablo canned tune. It's on the order of 10 RWHP short of a good custom tune.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Amsoil makes a great one. You do need a tune for it tho. I suggest just keep er stockinsh and put a high flow drop in til you graduate. Then start spending money.....

Last edited by everett; 01-16-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:18 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

If you don't want to drop a lot of money into the Stang, you can purchase a hand held tuner with 3 custom tunes and NO CAI. I have an Airaid CAI, which does not require a tune and I did not feel much of a difference. However, once I uploaded my Brenspeed tune, it was night and day! The performance is mainly from the custom tune, therefore, you want a good tune, not a canned tune. Reputable companies such as Brenspeed and American Muscle offer SCT tuners and custom tunes specifically for your car.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
terminatorcobra

try to go with plastic as well. plastic doesnt get warm or hot like metal would thats why the plastic intakes are more pricey but i would suggest a tune becuase it may let more air in but the computer is programmed to only let so much in therefore it needs to be tuned to allow more air and level the fuel out to get the perfect a/f ratio and the best performance out of it