Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

is a tune cai really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM
stang1012
1st Gear Member

Default is a tune cai really worth it?

I have an 06 auto vert. I drove an 11 auto just to see if their was a big change with the added hp. I really wasn't that impressed. I was planning on adding a cai and a tune to my car, but after the test drive I'm not that sure. The 11 has abot 100 more hp. So really what is 35 more hp going to feel like in my car? im just not sure 650 bucks is worth it.

I have a list of mods I still want to do. 650 can knock out 2 or 3 instead of just one.

Fyi I'm looking at chin spoiler, side scoops, fender scoops, rims, lower chrome grille, hood pins, also their are some interior mods I'm looking at. But 40 bucks for a chrome radio **** is a joke to me. That's another story though.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you can't feel the difference in power between your '06 V6 and the '11 V6, then either 1) your numb, dead or both or 2) there's something wrong with that '11.

99% of people on this forum that added a CAI & custom tune, regardless if it was on a 4.0 or 4.6, noticed a significant improvement, not just in power gain but overall driveability (throttle response, shifting). The power gain on the 4.0 is on the order of 15-20 RWHP. Most folks can feel about 5 RWHP gain with the butt dyno.

Have someone take your pulse.

Last edited by Nuke; 01-27-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:50 AM
JimC

With an automatic you will (or at least should) feel a difference in the lack of lag when you hit the gas. Before I did the CAI and tune back when my car was naturally aspirated it felt unsafe trying to switch lanes on the highway - especially if my lane was stopped or nearly so and I needed to accelerate quickly to get up to the speed of the cars coming up. The throttle lag was scary at times. After the CAI and tune the lag was gone and the car accelerated when I hit the gas.

The lag was so bad that my wife was the one who asked me if I could modify the car somehow to get rid of it after she was driving it for a few days.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:23 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

If you are focusing on increasing performance, yes, a CAI and custom tune is definitely the way to go! It's like driving a totally different car and the throttle response is great!
If you are looking for visual mods, then go for that. It's up to you.
BTW, a front chin spoiler changes the whole look of the car.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:38 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

It will ad throttle response but come on. It's an intake. If you get 20 hp that is massive gain for no internal engine work. Try just a tuner. That will help. I don't really believe in the cai hype. It's all in the tune. Put an AMSOIL drop in filter. Flow as well as k&n but actually filter out dirt
Old 01-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by everett
It will ad throttle response but come on. It's an intake. If you get 20 hp that is massive gain for no internal engine work. Try just a tuner. That will help. I don't really believe in the cai hype. It's all in the tune. Put an AMSOIL drop in filter. Flow as well as k&n but actually filter out dirt
The stock airbox is pretty restrictive and the stock tube is convoluted....which means that there is a lot of turbulence .....the benefit of ANY CAI is getting air into the engine more efficiently for the most part.....plus even the aftermarket drop in filters don't flow well enough due to the poor airbox.

I made my own CAI, and plan on having it tuned soon...I can post pics if you like...it's basically a home made JLT haha

But more on topic....

to simply answer your question... YES!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

A stand alone CAI w/ out a tune may only gain you about 4-5 HP. The performance gain is mostly in the custom tune. A CAI will allow more air flow, thus adding a little more power gains.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:54 PM
stang1012
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If you can't feel the difference in power between your '06 V6 and the '11 V6, then either 1) your numb, dead or both or 2) there's something wrong with that '11.

99% of people on this forum that added a CAI & custom tune, regardless if it was on a 4.0 or 4.6, noticed a significant improvement, not just in power gain but overall driveability (throttle response, shifting). The power gain on the 4.0 is on the order of 15-20 RWHP. Most folks can feel about 5 RWHP gain with the butt dyno.

Have someone take your pulse.

Thanks for the advise dick..I mean nuke.

If you could read, you would see it says I wasn't that impressed with the 11 v6, not that I can't feel the difference. I figured 300 hp would pin you in your seat.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:01 PM
stang1012
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
If you are focusing on increasing performance, yes, a CAI and custom tune is definitely the way to go! It's like driving a totally different car and the throttle response is great!
If you are looking for visual mods, then go for that. It's up to you.
BTW, a front chin spoiler changes the whole look of the car.
I def like the chin spoilers. I want to have it painted to match the car, then also paint my side skirts.
The wife said I can only spend about 600 more for the year. Not bad since I'm already about 2k in and have only had the car since june.

I never know you could do so much to a mustang.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:23 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

300HP will pin you in your seat, depends on how you drive it a 300Hp 5 speed with 4,10s will get you on the launch. but 300HP rolling, while really nice, isn't going to make you feel like your launching. A tune and intake make the biggest gains for under $1000

Quick Reply: is a tune cai really worth it?