Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which CAI won't trip my Check Engine Light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:37 PM
screaminyellin6
2nd Gear Member

Default Which CAI won't trip my Check Engine Light?

I am looking to get a CAI, but would prefer one that does not trip the Check Engine Light - yet yields the greatest HP/Torque. I am also looking to get the XCT2 and tune it. The reason I don't want the Steeda etc... is because I want to reflash it when I bring back to the dealer and not give them another reason to say - voiding the warranty.

That way I can run the CAI either tuned or not, and my check engine light will not be on when servicing at the dealer.

BTW - I just got the Magnaflow Duals on it now and love the look and sound

2005 Sreamin Yellow Mustang 4.0 V6
Dual Magnaflow Exhaust
Old 08-23-2005, 02:02 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Which CAI won't trip my Check Engine Light?

K&N, AFE, AEM, MMR (only for some cars)...

did I miss any?
Old 08-23-2005, 03:09 PM
MustangScott
1st Gear Member

Anyone hav a magnaflow sound clip off their 05 v6?
Old 08-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Jim Smyth
1st Gear Member

Not quite sure what you want. Any CAI you install will have the same effect from the dealers standpoint unless you remove it before you bring it in for work. Any CAI that you put on you should retune the computor so you dont lean the car out too much so your thought process with the SCT is right on. FWIW, I have the Steda CAI on mine, SCT 2 custom tune with 87 octane and the Magnaflow exhaust. Its a day and night difference from stock! Sounds great, More power and No gas pedal lag (I have an auto) that was very irritating before!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jim Smyth

Not quite sure what you want. Any CAI you install will have the same effect from the dealers standpoint unless you remove it before you bring it in for work. Any CAI that you put on you should retune the computor so you dont lean the car out too much so your thought process with the SCT is right on. FWIW, I have the Steda CAI on mine, SCT 2 custom tune with 87 octane and the Magnaflow exhaust. Its a day and night difference from stock! Sounds great, More power and No gas pedal lag (I have an auto) that was very irritating before!
I have been considering an SCT Xcalibrator2, but was wondering if there were any comparisons out there so I could get an idea of what the differences are between the SCT, DiabloSport Predator, etc.?

The throttle lag is annoying, but I'm not quite clear as to what you feel actually fixed it, the SCT2 or exhaust system?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Jim Smyth
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pyrat

I have been considering an SCT Xcalibrator2, but was wondering if there were any comparisons out there so I could get an idea of what the differences are between the SCT, DiabloSport Predator, etc.?

The throttle lag is annoying, but I'm not quite clear as to what you feel actually fixed it, the SCT2 or exhaust system?
If I only had money to do 1 ungrade it would deffinately be the tune. I think the tunes are pretty much about all the same. The SCT2 did an incredible job for me. The CAI and the Exhaust just helps out a little in preformance and sound but I dont think you get that much more out of it. The shifting delay on the auto without any tune was pretty bad. You would try to pass someone on the highway and there was a deffinate 2 second delay until anything happened and then it wasnt that good. Now its instantanious with alot more power and throttle response!
Old 08-23-2005, 09:32 PM
05V6inMD
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pyrat

Only a retune will fix the throttle lag.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:33 PM
05V6inMD
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: screaminyellin6

I am looking to get a CAI, but would prefer one that does not trip the Check Engine Light - yet yields the greatest HP/Torque. I am also looking to get the XCT2 and tune it. The reason I don't want the Steeda etc... is because I want to reflash it when I bring back to the dealer and not give them another reason to say - voiding the warranty.

That way I can run the CAI either tuned or not, and my check engine light will not be on when servicing at the dealer.

I installed the steeda and the Check Engine Light did not come on.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:31 PM
MustangScooby

I installed the K&N version and am happy with it (no light). I too, need a tune though. I HATE that lag you guys are talking about. I was looking at the Diablo. Good? Bad? Any words of wisdom before dropping $400?

Thanks to all that input here.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:22 PM
05V6inMD
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangScooby

I installed the K&N version and am happy with it (no light). I too, need a tune though. I HATE that lag you guys are talking about. I was looking at the Diablo. Good? Bad? Any words of wisdom before dropping $400?

Thanks to all that input here.
Don't go Diablo. The standard for most is the SCT XCal2. This with three programs included specifically for the V6 is around $380 from www.brenspeed.com.