Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger and Various Other Q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Default Supercharger and Various Other Q's

So - I was wondering which supercharger will give me the biggest HP boost

Also - what are cams?

What is the difference between an off road X pipe and my current one?

What modifications are needed before I put on a set of long tube headers?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Well not all superchargers are the same. I suggest you research which types there are and which one is best for you (root, centri, etc) Most people get the xcharger which uses an Eaton blower which builds boost down low and produces great torque. It won't give you the highest HP gains but it will give you the safest.

Our engines are SOHC engines which means they are single over head cams, only one cam in the heads. The cams are connected to the crankshaft which turns the cams which has lobes on them that turn and open and close the exhaust and intake valves.

Off road x pipes are x pipes that eliminate the use of a catalic converters. Off road means its not meant for street use (not legal), only for racing.

Using long tube headers on our cars will require a tune. Also the catalic converters will most likely have to be moved or relocated to put them on our car.

What you planning to do for your car?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

This car is my daily driver - but I do some pretty heavy street racing on the weekends

Low gas mileage isn't a problem for me, nor do I really care whether or not a catalytic converter deletion is legal - I think those laws are BS (for more reasons than I WANNA GO FAST), and, so long as I don't get caught racing, my car won't be inspected - and even then I can play the naive card because of my age. They don't do emissions testing in my state, and most of my friends have taken the converters off of their cars and trucks without any legal problems

I want to take this car and turn it into the fastest v6 Mustang on the road - no matter the cost. I want to squeeze every last ounce of power out of this that I can. I'm even considering taking the engine out, having it heated white hot, and the pistons increased to 4.2 liters. I know - drastic - but - the faster the better. I want to run with the Roushes.

Last edited by Young_Gun; 03-03-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
I want to run with the Roushes.
Don't we all....
Old 03-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Well... that's not the way to go... first of all, take racing to the track. Street racing gets people killed and innocent people killed all the time. Two racers just got sentenced to 10-15 years for street racing and killing a girl that I went to high school with.

Second, running the car with no cats will make our cars sound like a fart cannon. Sounds like complete crap. And just slapping a blower on there and calling it a day isn't smart if you want the so called fastest v6 mustang".
Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Avalanch3
Well... that's not the way to go... first of all, take racing to the track. Street racing gets people killed and innocent people killed all the time. Two racers just got sentenced to 10-15 years for street racing and killing a girl that I went to high school with.

Second, running the car with no cats will make our cars sound like a fart cannon. Sounds like complete crap. And just slapping a blower on there and calling it a day isn't smart if you want the so called fastest v6 mustang".
As soon as the track opens, I'll be racing there.

And - I have heard a Mustang with no cats and some American Thunder mufflers. It didn't sound like a fart cannon at all. I hang around ricers. I KNOW what fart cannons sound like haha

And I never said the blower is all I'm going to do.

I'm doing cams, aluminum drive shaft, larger fuel injectors, hopefully having the engine stroked to 4.2L, GT rear axle with a cobra pinion flange, new suspension components, lowering kit, high efficiency radiator, 18 inch rims, high performance tires, and anything else I need
Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Good luck to you, beating a v8 with a v6 is always cool especially when they find that a v6 just beat them, thats quite an assortment of parts you want for your project, im taking the v6 to v8 swap approach, v6 body with a v8 in it, that sounds good to me.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
Good luck to you, beating a v8 with a v6 is always cool especially when they find that a v6 just beat them, thats quite an assortment of parts you want for your project, im taking the v6 to v8 swap approach, v6 body with a v8 in it, that sounds good to me.
No no no - I've read posts from people who did. Its an over 15,000 dollar upgrade and it never totally works right
Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

So - which supercharger will give me the most horsepower and torque gains???
Old 03-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

You still don't get it. That's not enough. Your going to destroy your engine.

Quick Reply: Supercharger and Various Other Q's