Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

P0720 code came back after repair and driving one day

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 05:54 PM
Giovolt7

Default P0720 code came back after repair and driving one day

First of hello there! New pony member here and this is my first car, I love this car and more so I love working on it; So before I have no choice to bring it into a mechanic I first would like to try here.

I have yet to get this car to pass inspection due to failing emissions (which I have heard you need to run a drive cycle after the engine light goes off) so I started to work on the problem by getting a code reader which gave me P0720 which I figured is a problem with the output shaft speed sensor. I bought this one from American muscle and went on to install it. Afterward turning the car on again got rid off the MIL and error code leaving the M/I statuses to work on

Well today I took the car out to really test it and not a mile in the speedometer stood flat on 0mph and the car wouldn't accelerate past what I'll assume 15mph though you can really hear the engine pushing, I also saw and error on the dashboard reading "FUEL LEVEL LOW DTE ODO DATA ERR". The MIL came back along with a red battery symbol so I parked to the side and checked the reader again to see p0720 again; Turning the car back on was a struggle leading to a loud screech like sound and turning back off, trying again was able to work and I took the car back home on a crawl. I'm more grateful this happened on a local street and not on the expressway where I was planning to pull the drive cycle, but now I don't know what to do. Was the OSS faulty and can I get my money back?

It stayed like this the whole ride home

The OSS sensor was secured and doesn't shake

Old 05-13-2022, 11:17 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

What year is the car? 05 to early 07 had water intrusion issues in the SJB. The SJB is the fuse box on the passenger side kick panel. Water would cause shorts or corrosion, both of which lead to all sorts of problems. Check that area out thoroughly first.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:31 PM
Giovolt7

It's a 2007 but I don't know how early, this is interesting I'll check it out when I get home. Thank you for your input, I've been borrowing my brother's Charger to get places haha
Old 05-13-2022, 05:23 PM
Giovolt7

So I checked both fuse boxes along with the fuses themselves and I saw no notable problems; However you did have a point, Derf00, there was dampness along the floor panel but not in the SJB itself.

I also took the car out for another run and it did well, accelerating and maintaining speed as usual but the "FUEL LEVEL LOW DTE ODO DATA ERR" was still on and the speedometer still was not working either.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:09 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

you may have a water leak from plugged drain holes in the front cowl then. If you take off the cowl where the cabin air cleaner is, there aer drain holes at the bottom that can get clogged up. That causes water to spill into the front passenger footwell as well. If there are some connectors that are wet, that could be affecting the dash.

Check the ground wires in your dash. Your cluster may not be getting proper power.
Lastly, have your alternator checked as well. Sometimes a bad sinewave from the alternator on 05-09 mustangs causes weird issues. Mainly false cam sensor issues (P0345) but others as well.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:10 PM
Giovolt7

So it passed inspection today; even with the EVAP monitor not ready, the error codes vanished after taking the car into the freeway for half an hour and the MIL turned off. I don't get these computers...
Now taking it home popped up p2198 error but no MIL so I'm just done for now lol
Old 06-02-2022, 03:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You could have a pinched wire somewhere. O2 Sensors and the sensors on the Tranny share the same harness. If that harness is scraped up or is kinked, you'll get all sorts of weird issues.