Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

XCharger stuttering/hesitation

Old 03-31-2011, 10:34 AM
vbrecken
1st Gear Member

Default XCharger stuttering/hesitation

I have a problem at high RPMs where my car is hesitating or stuttering. Sounds and feels like someone is pulsating the accelerator but the whole time I am WOT. Here is a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9KfjKip3E0

Its tough to see since the camera shakes quite a bit but listen right at the 20 sec mark and you will hear it.

I noticed this when I went to get my car dyno’d back in January after I put on my XCharger. But I’m not completely sure the problem didn’t exist before I put the X on.

Since then I’ve swapped out spark plugs, decreased the gap from .35 to .30, and tried 3 separate tunes (1 from JDM and two from Dave/Doug and Explorer Express). I’m still working with Dave but we are looking for all the help we can get on this one.

Something of note…this problem occurs only in 3rd and 4th gear, not in 1st or second (haven’t been able to get up high enough to try 5th). And it only occurs or is most prominent if I gently roll into 1st and 2nd and the WOT in 3rd. If I WOT 1st, 2nd and then 3rd it doesn’t seem to happen or at least not as distinguishable as before.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vbrecken
I have a problem at high RPMs where my car is hesitating or stuttering. Sounds and feels like someone is pulsating the accelerator but the whole time I am WOT. Here is a clip:

Its tough to see since the camera shakes quite a bit but listen right at the 20 sec mark and you will hear it.

I noticed this when I went to get my car dyno’d back in January after I put on my XCharger. But I’m not completely sure the problem didn’t exist before I put the X on.

Since then I’ve swapped out spark plugs, decreased the gap from .35 to .30, and tried 3 separate tunes (1 from JDM and two from Dave/Doug and Explorer Express). I’m still working with Dave but we are looking for all the help we can get on this one.

Something of note…this problem occurs only in 3rd and 4th gear, not in 1st or second (haven’t been able to get up high enough to try 5th). And it only occurs or is most prominent if I gently roll into 1st and 2nd and the WOT in 3rd. If I WOT 1st, 2nd and then 3rd it doesn’t seem to happen or at least not as distinguishable as before.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Do you have gauges installed?
What's your AFR and fuel pressue when it happens?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I can't open the vid here at work but I'm thinking fuel delivery or a tune tweak.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:19 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

problem with the injectors maybe?
Old 03-31-2011, 03:47 PM
vbrecken
1st Gear Member

Not sure what else we could tweak on the tune. I've already tried 3 different ones. I do have Interceptor gauges installed.

No AFR reading but the fuel pressure is steady throughout at 40 psi. I assumed 40 psi is the standard reading. Anyone have a different reading or is mine off?

I also thought about the injectors but I would think that a bad injector would present itself throughout the RPM band and not just at the high end or at least in every gear and not just 3rd and 4th.

But I'll discuss with Dave and see what we should tackle next.

Thanks for the input and keep it coming.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

To me, that almost sounds like you're slamming into the rev limiter, but of course that shouldn't be happening in the low 5K rpm area
Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 PM
2SiKgt500

Im also having the same problem. Did u ever find the problem?