Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

double clutching????

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 12:45 PM
scheetz83
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: double clutching????

ok guys lets not refer to it as double clutching, lets say rev matching. When you down shift and let the clutch out the motor has to catch up with the rear wheels, when you release the clutch you have to do it a little slow so the car dose not jerk. If you match the revs with the you speed then there is less wear on the clutch because you don't have to let the clutch out so slow because the motor is already in sync with the rear end Thus saving on clutch wear.

I only use the clutch in town once I am above 30 mph I don't use the clutch for down or up shifting. I can do it through all the gears but it is takes a little more time to shift and it is to much of a pain in town. I will run it up to 2500 let off the throttle pull it out of gear let the revs drop to 2000 Lightly tap the throttle (just to stop the revs from falling) and it will slide right in to the next gear
Old 09-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: double clutching????

ORIGINAL: scheetz83

ok guys lets not refer to it as double clutching, lets say rev matching. When you down shift and let the clutch out the motor has to catch up with the rear wheels, when you release the clutch you have to do it a little slow so the car dose not jerk. If you match the revs with the you speed then there is less wear on the clutch because you don't have to let the clutch out so slow because the motor is already in sync with the rear end Thus saving on clutch wear.

I only use the clutch in town once I am above 30 mph I don't use the clutch for down or up shifting. I can do it through all the gears but it is takes a little more time to shift and it is to much of a pain in town. I will run it up to 2500 let off the throttle pull it out of gear let the revs drop to 2000 Lightly tap the throttle (just to stop the revs from falling) and it will slide right in to the next gear
I'd love to see your bill when you miss a gear a couple of times and just thrash the tranny. RRRRRrrrr...THUNK, *****! (gear grind and loud thunk as it finally drops into gear. The ***** is the sychro shattering or losing teeth)[&:]

Although you do point out something that some automatics have started do these days. Rev matching or 'blipping' the throttle as it drops down into gear to match the RPM of the motor with the tranny.

And for whoever uses Fast and Furious or ANY movie for that matter as reference material [sm=icon_beat.gif] It's a MOOOVVIIIEEEE.