Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What voids the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 08:41 PM
زoe
1st Gear Member

Default What voids the warranty?

I read through the warranty manual and can't firgure out if a new cat back system or CAI would void my warranty?
Old 08-28-2005, 11:47 PM
Nickdotcom
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: What voids the warranty?

Only if you new exhaust caused whatever problem your having that needs to be fixed under warranty, i think.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:16 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nickdotcom

Only if you new exhaust caused whatever problem your having that needs to be fixed under warranty, i think.
Yep. They can't void it unless they can prove that part caused the problem.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:26 AM
زoe
1st Gear Member

even with a supercharger?
Old 08-29-2005, 02:46 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

If you blow a head gasket because your charger is pushing too much PSI, then it's your fault and not covered by the warranty.

If you have a charger and your front axle pops off, the charger (most likely) had nothing to do with it, so it would be covered under warranty.

ORIGINAL: زoe

even with a supercharger?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:25 PM
MustangScott
1st Gear Member

I'm Warranty paranoid, so i'm at the dealership alot. Likely with intake and exhaust, the only thing they could void would be the O2 sensor, but they will have an engineer look at it and see if the aftermarket parts caused the damage. The guy said chip, and suspension are the worst things to do for warranty. Intake and exhaust are fine, and if you tune your chip, you can always retune to stock. So what i'm doing is CAI, Cat-back exhaust, then work on looks until my warranty is up and toss in a super and some 4.0 emblems.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:09 PM
headhuntersps

Exactly correct. They have to show that whatever you did caused the problem in order to void the warranty.

The chip or reprograming, is a warranty disaster. If they find out you chipped or reprogramed your car, you are asking for problems. The computer controls almost everything on the car and if you go in with a chip or a reprogramed computer, good luck.

I was told that on chips that run piggy back on the stock program, that they can tell if the car has been chipped even when the chip has been removed. Now I also understand that reprograming, such as with the Superchip Microtuner can not be seen if the program has been removed before you take your car in. I was told this by a Ford Mechanic. The Superchip Microtuner, I am not sure if any of the others do this, store the stock program in the programer and before you take your car in, you pull the performance program out and load the stock program back in, takes about 10 minutes. According to the Ford Mechanic that I talked to they can't tell. Anyone have any info or knowledge on this?

Bottom line they have to prove your mod cause the problem in order to void your warranty. Saying that, if they decide to void your warranty, the only way to get it reinstated is to sue.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:26 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

By law, nothing voids the warrenty, unless your modification is what is causing the problem.

If you have an intake, and your lights dont work, then they will fix the lights.

If you have a supercharger and they can proove that was what caused you to blow the engine, then they woulnt fix it.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:56 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Question- rather than reflash your ECM, and risk detection, can you just buy another ECM to have reprogrammed? The one in the Mustang has been around a few years hasnt it?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:48 AM
05V6inMD
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: If you have a supercharger and they can proove that was what caused you to blow the engine, then they woulnt fix it.
Keep in mind, they don't have to prove anything until they are in court and required to prove through litigation. Since a SC is tied in to almost every system, electrica, mechanical, hydraulic, a dealership can easily say it is the cause of almost any problems, short of a bad headlight.

Quick Reply: What voids the warranty?