Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

how do i make a v6 faster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by mustangwooley
i have a 2006 v6 and i wanna no how 2 make it faster. also wat r ur thoughts on a white hid kit and white neons on a white mustang?

Yank it out of the car and put a V8 in it hahaha!

Just kidding.
You can do the same things in principle that you can to a V8.

If you want it to be as fast as a GT however, you are going into the turbo or supercharger area which gets expensive.

Starters to make it faster..
Cold Air Intake WITH a tune
Change the gearing ratio

The BEST thing you can do for your car is this... BEFORE ANYTHING else.
Make a PLAN. Base it on how fast you want the car and how much you can afford and feel comfortable spending.
Many people jump into mods only to find out later they would have rather saved up their money for something bigger later.
Example: adding tons of little things and in the end wanting a supercharger.
Now... those things can help add on top of a supercharger... especially if they are mods that complement one... lets say... long tube headers for example or a stouter clutch or suspension mods to to support all the power of a supercharger.

Point is this... DO RESEARCH. Take your time. Get educated FIRST.
Then go into the modding!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 04-20-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:52 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Yeah, define what you mean by "making it faster". What do you want to do? How much power do you want, or reasonably need? What is your definition of "fast"? If it's a specific track time, what is that?
There's only so much you can do with the 4.0 without f/i, and even with f/i, only so much you can safely do. IMO, after having both a 4.0 and 4.6 in a Mustang, a V8 is the way to go: there's simply nothing like it.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:55 PM
raimjob2@hotmail.com

adding 2 pony emblems add like 200 horse power! stripes add another 200!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 PM
GlassVapor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Yank it out of the car and put a V8 in it hahaha!

Just kidding.
You can do the same things in principle that you can to a V8.

If you want it to be as fast as a GT however, you are going into the turbo or supercharger area which gets expensive.

Starters to make it faster..
Cold Air Intake WITH a tune
Change the gearing ratio

The BEST thing you can do for your car is this... BEFORE ANYTHING else.
Make a PLAN. Base it on how fast you want the car and how much you can afford and feel comfortable spending.
Many people jump into mods only to find out later they would have rather saved up their money for something bigger later.
Example: adding tons of little things and in the end wanting a supercharger.
Now... those things can help add on top of a supercharger... especially if they are mods that complement one... lets say... long tube headers for example or a stouter clutch or suspension mods to to support all the power of a supercharger.

Point is this... DO RESEARCH. Take your time. Get educated FIRST.
Then go into the modding!
Blacksmoke is dead nuts on, do your research and plan for what your long term goal is. Don't just buy this and that, to take it off and sell it for penny's. Do it right the 1st time, it's a win win for you in the long run.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:58 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

The neon just ADDS weight and if you're not careful, will drain your battery. LOSE IT like a college freshman does his virginity...

Want power? Well the first thing is, a cai and tune will give you WAY better throttle response but wont necessarily make you "faster"- the speed limit is still in effect. (Lol, I'm just giving you a hard time)

Anyway, get the CAI + tuner combo from american muscle and then maybe go ahead and stick that underglow on the interior of the car under the footwells where it will at least look cool. (some members including myself have done the interior lighting thing, and its pretty cool IMO)
Old 04-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Lol Aaquib your have gotten feisty since you joined the forum.
I like it.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
Lol Aaquib your have gotten feisty since you joined the forum.
I like it.
hahaha, thanks T! Lol, OT has chiseled me into a well honed instrument of troll.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Lmao the troll face should be your avatar.

OP, Yeah I think you are probably stuck getting a CAI and tune. That's not a bad thing though from the way members talk about them they are a great mod that really wakes up the car.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

It really comes down to how much you want to spend/how "fast" you want to go. Basic bolt-ons are enough for some, but not others. +1 on what Blacksmoke said about having a plan. Otherwise you'll be throwing money all over the place for no good reason

As it's been said, start out with a CAI/tuner combo with a GOOD custom tune from the likes of American Muscle or Brenspeed. That really wakes up the car, throttle response, shift points if you're an auto etc. That's what everyone will recommend as the starter mods. After that there's a steeper gear with a posi, suspension work, exhaust, weight reduction, brakes, beefing up the drivetrain etc. and depending on how much you want to spend, you can throw some sort of F/I on there (blower, turbo or N20) and/or go with internal engine work such as heads and a cam.

There's a lot of options, just research everything beforehand so that you don't make an ill informed decision. There's a lot of great members here who have been down the road first so learn from their experience

Oh, and a resounding NO from me on neons. Rice rice baby

Last edited by Alec; 04-20-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Jack up the horn and put a new Mustang under it, preferably one with a couple extra cylinders.

Quick Reply: how do i make a v6 faster?