Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

how do i make a v6 faster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:57 AM
mustangwooley
1st Gear Member

well I am a 16 year old kid. I'm trying to improve my car with somewhat cheap stuff. And I already have true dual exhaust on it.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangwooley
well I am a 16 year old kid. I'm trying to improve my car with somewhat cheap stuff. And I already have true dual exhaust on it.
Sounds like a supercharger or turbo isn't in the budget so next best thing would be a CAI/Tune package from American Muscle or Brenspeed
Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 PM
mustangwooley
1st Gear Member

can u get a supercharger or turbo on v6's? i thought thy didnt make any
Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah, there's quite a few. They're not cheap though. There's a Powerhouse turbo kit, Vortech, X-charger, Pro-charger etc for the V6
Old 04-21-2011, 12:22 PM
mustangwooley
1st Gear Member

what is the difference between a cold air intake and a short ram intake
Old 04-21-2011, 12:26 PM
whitethunder09
1st Gear Member

If you want Neons then get the Neons. Who cares what any one else thinks? If YOU like it then get it. Although, everybody in these forums will rag on you for it. I personally think that underglow isnt half bad on a white Mustang but that is just me obviously lol.
For going faster I would suggest a CAI and Tuner first as everyone already said. But Stick with a Plan like blacksmoke said or else you might end up regretting some of the things you do to it. Also Gears are very good I hear and im getting some as soon as I can. Research it on google Im sure you will find something..
Old 04-21-2011, 12:47 PM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

powerhouse turbo on mine right here
Old 04-21-2011, 12:52 PM
mustangwooley
1st Gear Member

how much is a powerhouse turbo?
Old 04-21-2011, 01:42 PM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

how much is a powerhouse turbo?

not cheap i was 16 when i started saving for one tho hahah............

your looking at about 5k for turbo kit thats the turbo, intercooler, and pipein plus all the fuel upgrades you will need + tuner........

after that tho the instaltion fee is gonna be atleast 2 grand.....with labor, dyno tune, and shop materials oil and such its not a cheap process in any means...

however, i will say this....it was well worth it and id repeat this again if i had 2.

the best thing you can do imo is this.... if you want this to be a fun car while it last with the idea of selling in the future get a CAI in fact i actually have a C&L CAI for the 05-09 if interested...but at any rate get a CAI plus tuner.... then get 3.73 gears with a t-lock (it actually is cheaper to just upgrade to the 8.8 rear end)....and for exhuast go with 40 seris flows.....those mods will make your v6 mean for a cheap budget....

however if you plan to keep the car for a very long time with no intentions to sell.....skip the CAI ( you cant use it with a forced induction anyways hence why i have a C&L cai sitting my garage collecting dust) ....go ahead and upgrade your rear end to the 8.8 with 3.73s... and start saving for forced induction...or you could take a less traveled route and go to either www.supersixmotorsports.com or google tom morrona v6 performance and get a new built 4.0 or in tom's case a 4.3 stroker motor for our cars...

Last edited by ward_spratlin; 04-21-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Unless your parents have deep pockets and don't mind you dumping many thousands of dollars of their money on your Mustang you aren't going to make your V6 Faster. If making the car faster could be done with "cheap stuff" everyone would do it. Also true dual exhaust on a 4.0 V6 doesn't make the car faster. It may change the sound somewhat but it won't make it faster. My advice wooley is to just enjoy the car as it is.

Quick Reply: how do i make a v6 faster?