Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT vs V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:34 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Talking GT vs V6

i was looking at newtakeoff.com and i had a question. Are the gt springs, sway bars, and shocks the same as stock v6 ones? There only like 20 bucks for the springs and like 30 for all the shocks or whatever. Basically there cheap but are they worth it or should i just go top of the line as a normally do? or try to at least. Also are the gt brake rotors and calipers the same as v6`s?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

i would assume the springs are not, the GT spring rate should be more since they have to support more weight (same thing for the struts) therefore if you put them on your car, you might possibly lift it a little bit rather than lowering it.

the gt brakes are not the same, in fact they are larger, but for the price it is a great deal for us v6 people because you can easily swap yours out for larger rotors and use the supplied caliper bracket included in what they send u. the caliper itself is exactly the same, so you can chose to use the new or the ones already on the car it doesnt matter. (using new is always better though) I did this and although i couldnt feel the difference, i kno its there especially with nearly 1" larger rotor that common sense.

and changing out the pads is also helpful to do at the same time, this did make a difference i could feel, i just used Hawk HPS street pads since i dont take it on the track. break dust is minimal.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1

The GT suspension parts are designed to carry more weight. I've heard that GT springs on the V6 have a negative impact on handling. I could be wrong.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 AM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

It would make sense to be made to support more weight but i dunno. So its if-y on the springs and struts. And i get it with the rotors but i may just by some slotted and drilled rotors. I already got the hawk ceramic track brakes which are awesome.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:23 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

...search and ye shall find...

- the rear springs are the same on GT and V6.
- the rear brakes (rotors and pads) are the same on GT and V6.

GT front springs are slightly stiffer.
Gt front swaybar is larger.

Dont waste money on rear take-off springs/brakes when you already have those same parts.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:38 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

^+1

Spring rates are similar enough that they wont help at all (they're made for the heavier 4.6L), just stiffer as said before. I do not know enough about the struts, but I would imagine not much change there either, my suggestion is to save the money and put it toward some GT sway bars- night and day difference in handling...

Or go aftermarket for the springs, etc. from what I've heard, they never disappoint.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang

Dont waste money on rear take-off springs/brakes when you already have those same parts.
Sorry to be a moron if this is a stupid question, but what about the front brakes? Reason I ask, new take off has these:

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt...2005-2009.aspx

Will they fit the V-6, and would I need new pads? Is this an upgrade? I assumed they were due to the GT needing better brakes, but you know what happens when you assume! Thanks for not berating me if this is a dumb question.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Nuke

... I've heard that GT springs on the V6 have a negative impact on handling. I could be wrong.
Actually, I think it could be of a more positive impact...
I have the FRPP M-5300-K springs on my sixxer, which are designed for the GT.
I know they're lowering springs, not GT stock but it works great on the V6.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I stand corrected.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Actually, I think it could be of a more positive impact...
I have the FRPP M-5300-K springs on my sixxer, which are designed for the GT.
I know they're lowering springs, not GT stock but it works great on the V6.
the FRPP K Springs work good for the V6 because the front K springs intend to hold up the GT V8 engine, but the rears should be very similar to the rears of the FRPP N springs (built specifically for the V6.) probably a tenth or two of an inch less.

FRPP K:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/fr-2005-k-springs.html

FRPP N:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/n-springs-0511-v6.html

so using the the K springs will bring down the back the same as the N springs, but using the K springs in the front will bring it down less than the N springs (theoretically at least haha)

Originally Posted by tx_zstang

the front springs are not the same neither is the front sway bar (GT v V6) obviously, the rear springs are the same because the weight to the rear is nearly the same. (done so to save $)

the rear brake calipers, rotors, and pads are exactly the same because of the same weight reason.
the front brake rotors are NOT the same, the GT are larger than the V6, but the front calipers and pads are the same. the way ford is able to do this (to save $ again) is to use different sized caliper brackets that hold the same calipers either smaller/closer to hub (V6) or larger/further from the hub (GT).

so very simplistically to change to GT brakes all you need really are the larger rotors and GT bracket. no pads or calipers are necessary, but if they come in the kit from newtakeoff for that cheap its worth just changing to new.

Last edited by Stang-aholic; 06-19-2011 at 09:59 PM.