Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ready to install X-pipe dual exhaust....

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Default Ready to install X-pipe dual exhaust....

The plan is.... to back the rear wheels up on to my ramps... then jack the front end up and support on jackstands.

Thing is.... I'm wondering if I'll need to "hang" the rear axle to remove / install the intermediate pipes.

Anyone having done the install that could share any finer points pursuant to "methodology"... at least pursuant to the aforementioned?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:05 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

I tried the ramps , but it wasn't high enough ( car has been lowered ) I had to jack back end up ,snake the pipes in .And then I lowered it back down on the ramps to make final adjustments . sorry no pics
Old 07-14-2011, 11:20 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Letting the rear end hang down helps. Raising the front didnt help for me, so I left it on the ground (for safety, too). One of the pipes wasn't too hard to get on, but one was really tough, and not being able to raise the car high enough, I had to disconnect the driveshaft at the pinion to get the pipe on.
Another option may be to unhook the shock and work it over that way, but supporting the rear end there so it doesn't fall.
Not having a lift available makes that a PITA!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

I did mine on 2 sets of Jack Stands, don't think I would have got the pipe in setting on ramps.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm... maybe I'll try to figure out how to get the ramps under the front wheels then... and jackstand the rear. Thing is... they're older ramps... made for cars that aren't quite so low in the nose....
Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Install want pretty well for the most part. Put the front wheels up on the ramps... actually jacked 'em up there... rear supported by jackstands....

First "hurdle" was getting the stock intermediate pipe out..... ended up using the sawzall to remove the harmonic balance weight bracket... and she snaked out just fine.

Second "hurdle" was that the doggone inlet end of the X-pipe was just a wee bit too small to fit over the 6 years worth of... "patina" on pipes from the cats. Had to run to my buddy's house and borrow his "Sphincter Stretcher" to expand them a wee bit.

Other than those two hurdles, it was a straighforward install.

As to the bumper cover, that was very nicely trimmed using a coping saw, followed by sanding the edge.

Sounds very nice and mellow at "normal" speeds and throttle conditions. 2500rmp and up with my foot in it, she opens up and hollers like she means business.

Thus far... overall impression is that it seems smoother. Butt dyno sez there's something different in a positive way but sans data, that's really more an opinion... and perhaps somewehat influenced by the "Psychological Dyno".

Biggest difference... is how much nicer it is appearance wise with the newly symmetrical exhaust.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:02 PM
TheBocSez

I have a pretty steep driveway that I usually hate but it came in handy for the install. When I jacked up the rear, the extra clearance from the angle of the driveway gave me just enough room to snake it into place. On the level surface of the garage, there was no way I could fit them in.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I have a gravel driveway (my shoulders are vociferously reminding me of that at the moment) and certainly not perfectly level. As it were, the altitude I had was just sufficient to get the pipes in there.

Just an aside... the V6 stock intermediate pipe, with the exception of the mounting bracket for the anti-vibration weight... is exactly the same as the GT pipe. So... if you really wanted to get in and out economically, you really only need the driver side pipe, X or H pipe, exhaust coupler (got that from Silver State Ford) and driver side hangers (american muscle). You will have to remove the weight bracket as it would interfere with the driver side pipe.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:26 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boneman
Just an aside... the V6 stock intermediate pipe, with the exception of the mounting bracket for the anti-vibration weight... is exactly the same as the GT pipe. So... if you really wanted to get in and out economically, you really only need the driver side pipe, X or H pipe, exhaust coupler (got that from Silver State Ford) and driver side hangers (american muscle). You will have to remove the weight bracket as it would interfere with the driver side pipe.
Thats interesting to know, So you ordered you're stuff from newtakeoff.com?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:48 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

For Sphincter Stretching I always use my 9" tool... Don't need a friend there.

Just out of curiosity, did you re-use the harmonic weights?

Quick Reply: Ready to install X-pipe dual exhaust....