Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Free / Cheap Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 AM
GTI-Guy
2nd Gear Member

Default Free / Cheap Mod Thread

I didn’t see this posted anywhere, so here's handy place to collect ideas …

Since I haven’t even ordered mine yet, nothing to add other than the proverbial “K & N” filter, but I know there’s some clever stuff out there certainly, so fire away!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Forget the K&N filter, regardless if you mean the drop-in or their stand-alone CAI. The only power gains to be had with a change to intake air volume can be accomplished with a custom tune. The K&N CAI will work ok but it's not the best (but were only talking a few RWHP difference between CAI's; 2-3 if that).

The CAI & custom tune is your biggest bang short of FI. After that, there are no mods other than LT's and cams (together) to provide any major gains. All else are single didgit gains and still cost some cash. The only thing "free" is to drop some weight such as rear seat delete, lose the spare, etc.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:31 PM
GTI-Guy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Forget the K&N filter, regardless if you mean the drop-in or their stand-alone CAI. The only power gains to be had with a change to intake air volume can be accomplished with a custom tune. The K&N CAI will work ok but it's not the best (but were only talking a few RWHP difference between CAI's; 2-3 if that).

The CAI & custom tune is your biggest bang short of FI. After that, there are no mods other than LT's and cams (together) to provide any major gains. All else are single didgit gains and still cost some cash. The only thing "free" is to drop some weight such as rear seat delete, lose the spare, etc.
I was at the airport and a Mustang mag dyno'd the new V6 with a C&L (?) CAI and it came in at 10 HP and I believe 9 twisters. No tune. That's a $300 piece, though to your point. They also did a tune and added more, can't recall the amount. $30 buck per HP ain't bad.

Not just talkin' power mods here ... thread open for clever fixes, tweeks etc.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 PM
FsuGoNoles63
2nd Gear Member

Weight reduction is always free lol
Old 07-05-2011, 10:32 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

free mod= keep your car clean as hell, and look cool as hell at every stop light. dont race from stop lights... people will think your car is fast as hell...dont race and prove them wrong.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:43 PM
GTI-Guy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FsuGoNoles63
Weight reduction is always free lol
I saved a dumb bell's worth on my GTI going to a Miata battery, worked in Winter even. I could feel the difference in quick side-to-side maneuvering, honest.

Anyone running a particular battery for weight reduction .. that's a good hunk of weight on the nose of the car.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:11 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

For 2005's, the heated throttle bypass is a free mod.

Otherwise, as mentioned, your best gains will be CAI **WITH** a custom tune.

Get a GT or other muffler for cheap or free and that'd be a good cheap mod for a few HP.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
...Get a GT or other muffler for cheap or free and that'd be a good cheap mod for a few HP.
That's highly debatable. I'm not sure the you could see the difference in RWHP between normal dyno variation and the actual gain, IF any.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Stickers aren't that expensive. Each sticker is like 3-4 dollars and depending on where you stick them on your car, you can get like 10-20 hp from each.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:40 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Paint your calipers, window tint, tint your tail lights (niteshade), stripes (if you don't already have them, blackout your emblems/wheels...there are a lot of DIY mods at least for appearance and everything I mentioned here is from $20-200.

Quick Reply: Free / Cheap Mod Thread