Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Newtakeoff.com v6 dual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:16 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Default Newtakeoff.com v6 dual conversion

Has anyone made the purchase to Newtakeoff's dual conversion kit? If so, how does it sound? throaty? tin-y? deep? If you have pictures or vids, or further info or input, please post! Thanks in further consideration.
-Joe
Old 07-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Well.. I just basically installed the same thing... Pypes X-pipe, GT takeoff intermadiates and GT takeoff (manual trans) mufflers. There's a lot of videos posted on YouTube for this particular setup.

Here's my take on it. Install was relatively straighforward. A couple of hitches... but that's to be expected. See my posting here:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s...l-exhaust.html

As to the sound, I really like it. Not overpoweringly loud under normal load conditions but a nice tone and rumble. Get it up over 2500rpm and it starts to open up. Over 3000rpm is when you'll notice it begins to ... well... "howl".

The power difference methinks is minimal however the butt-dyno tells me that my throttle response has improved... and the engine seems to be considerably smoother. As to the psychological dyno, the sound is excellent and the appearance... worlds of difference over the stock setup... or even the single GT takeoff muffler I was running prior.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:00 PM
TheBocSez

I installed the NTO kit on my car and overall am happy with it. One issue that I did have was that the Pypes intermediate pipes are not bent with as generous of a radius as the factory ones are. You will see that there is not as much clearance, and occasionally when I would hit a good bump or dip in the road, I could hear the pipe hit the rear axle. I saw a side by side comparison pic somewhere of the Pypes next to a stock GT pipe and it was pretty significant.

The stock GT mufflers sounded fine. Over time got to be a little too quiet for me and I found a pair of FRPP GTA's that I put on. Funny thing is since I have put the GTA's on I havent noticed the pipe hitting the axle anymore. I did notice that the GTA is a little smaller and lighter than the stock GT muffler so maybe the reduction in weight pulling on it is the reason.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:47 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Interesting about the weight issue. I wonder what other seemingly "minor" difference between the FRPP and stock GT mufflers may have been a deciding factor. It is pretty tight under there.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

I'm happy with mine, just take your time and triple check all your clearances before you tighten everything up.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...t-so-much.html

If you have the stock v-6 lower bumper, the mufflers show quite a bit. I painted both of mine flat black before I installed them. (see picture) I think it cleans it up, making the muffler cans a lot less noticeable.

I put about 400 miles on it after the install, and after I was sure I didn't have any rattles, had a neighbor weld everything together. I purchased the convertible mufflers, which are supposedly quieter than the coupe take-offs. It was just what I wanted, nice throaty rumble, not a loud cackle. Do a search, there' numerous threads and pictures here. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:30 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Thanks it's good to know they give off the "deep" rumble, how would they sound if you had a custom axlebacks?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:02 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twstones
If you have the stock v-6 lower bumper, the mufflers show quite a bit. I painted both of mine flat black before I installed them. (see picture) I think it cleans it up, making the muffler cans a lot less noticeable.
Nice pic. Interesting too.. the first GT takeoff muffler I had on the car... whilst still running single exhaust was precisely the same as yours. Straight out polished SS out the back. The takeoffs I just installed... have the rolled ends and were just a tad shorter to boot.

As to the cans showing.... LOL... was that not in no small part the whole idea? ;-) I'll leave mine as-is. It's my exerience... that they develop their own "patina" over time.

Meanwhile, GT takoffs are THE starting point. Once you've installed the dual exhaust... be it H-pipe, X-pipe or whatever... you now have the ability to swap out various and assorted mufflers at will.

I might... depends on what turns up and at what price... but for now, I'm still really liking the GT takeoff mufflers.