Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I lost tons of torque

Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default I lost tons of torque

I had my custom h-pipe finally installed and it definitely looks a lot better but my worse nightmare came true... I seem to have lost tons of low end torque. I
The best compareable way to explain the difference is that its like going from a 91 race tune to an 87 economy tune.it doesn't feel nearly as jumpy as it did and it even feels like it's shifting softerin the first two gears.
I'm getting new tunes next week from bama since they are free but Im just curious why it's such a noticeable difference..? Could something be wrong? Could it be that it just needs a re tune? I'm using manual GT takeoff mufflers and It almost sounds like the driver side one is F'd up. Could that be a cause of this by any chance?
I just wanna know how to get it back to how it was.... if there is no explanation other than that's just how it is then what mods do I need to do to get that low end torque back? I'd go buy them asap to get that torque back
Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 PM
1992 MUSTANG

Do you think its the exhaust?? explain
Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

idk i installed a gt hpipe on mine from the double y and i didnt feel any difference. u sure its not all in your head lol
Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Make sure you tightened everything down correctly. There should be VERY minimal gains from switching midpipes and I doubt it could even be read on the butt dyno.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Hm something has to be wrong.. At first I did think it was in my head but Ive compared it side by side with old videos and it's a bit of a loss on the low end - like I said kind
of like comparing the two tunes. Could a bad muffler do this by any chance if it's not flowing right? The driver side muffler sounds like it's just not opening up how the other side is/does. I was expecting to get very minimal gains or loss out of this but nothing noticeable and this is totally noticeable. There's no clamps or anything - I had a shop make and install the pipe and they welded all
Old 08-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

One of your cats could be clogged possible. Jack the car up, crawl under it with a rubber mallet, and tap the cats lightly. If you hear rattling, one of the cats might have gone out. Should be a solid thump with zero rattle.

Worth a shot at least.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:20 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Check your cats, could be clogged or blown.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

..does your custom H pipe have cats?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:40 AM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

or an exhaust leak leading into less back pressure. It almost sucks you had it welded bc of problems like this. was the exhaust shop legit? if not or shady at all id def take it to a different one.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:46 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Cat problem or exhaust leak like others have said.
There is NO reason to lose trq with the switch.

Anything is possible BUT if you were to lose any for some odd reason it would NOT be enough to notice at all unless you have a cat problem or leak.
UNLESS you had a new tune installed in which case the tune could be the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I lost tons of torque