Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Blue_steel
1st Gear Member

realistically you wont see much of a gain with the coil maybe if anything 1-2hp
Old 08-14-2011, 12:26 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I don't think the coil will do much. You probably won't be able to feel the difference.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Shelby350Mike
2nd Gear Member

Ok, so I'm gonna scrap the coil idea,

How bout a throttle body and a spacer?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Aftermarket TB's do nothing unless you're heavily modified and can make use of the additional airflow. The stock TB's flow as well as necessary to handle most bolt-on modding.

If you put a TB spacer on then 90% of the forum members will come to your house, rip your head off and poop down your neck. Please, no....

But TB spacers DO make very nice Christmas ornaments. You can sit around the xmas tree and drink eggnog and let everyone laugh at you. Very nice for the holidays...
Old 08-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Shelby350Mike
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Aftermarket TB's do nothing unless you're heavily modified and can make use of the additional airflow. The stock TB's flow as well as necessary to handle most bolt-on modding.

If you put a TB spacer on then 90% of the forum members will come to your house, rip your head off and poop down your neck. Please, no....

But TB spacers DO make very nice Christmas ornaments. You can sit around the xmas tree and drink eggnog and let everyone laugh at you. Very nice for the holidays...
Well... that just answered my question. My friends already threatened to do that to me, just wanted someone else's opinion.

Another question, how can I deal with the pedal lag?

I'll be waiting at a red light, and as soon as I see the light turn, punch the gas, but it takes a good two-three seconds or so to feel any power, and that's at 20mph. I'm guessing its because my car is an Automatic?

And will the CAI and Tune help that?

Thanks again for dealing with my incessant chatter and questions...
Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A CAI & tune not only adds RWHP but also improves throttle response and shifting on your auto. There IS a method to recalibrate the throttle and it's been posted numerous times in the forum so try the search feature. It MAY help some but not to the extent a tune will.

You call it incessant chatter; I call it learning. But be prepared for some joking around...
Old 08-14-2011, 07:29 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

The lag is just a problem with our V6s. We just don't have much power down low. Of course, a CAI/tune helps alot with that. There is also apparently a significant amount of "dead space" in the pedal itself, which can be corrected without too much trouble, but it has nothing to do with the throttle lag you are talking about.

The best way to fix this lack of power really is a CAI/tune. Combine that with the 4.10s in the 8.8 rearend and you will have no complaints about throttle lag.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
The lag is just a problem with our V6s. We just don't have much power down low. Of course, a CAI/tune helps alot with that. There is also apparently a significant amount of "dead space" in the pedal itself, which can be corrected without too much trouble, but it has nothing to do with the throttle lag you are talking about.

The best way to fix this lack of power really is a CAI/tune. Combine that with the 4.10s in the 8.8 rearend and you will have no complaints about throttle lag.

^^this
Old 08-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Shelby350Mike
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
^^this
You know I can't do an 8.8 right now Alec...
And I'd go with 3.73's probably
Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelby350Mike
You know I can't do an 8.8 right now Alec...
And I'd go with 3.73's probably
Just saying that will get rid of most of the throttle lag

Quick Reply: First Upgrade