Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Still have the mod bug...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Trust me, I'm concerned about the buffer too. I'll try to use the good side of my brain when I do this. HA! Wish me luck.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:26 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Throttle body update...

I dropped in the new ported throttle body this morning and took her for a test drive. I'm running the 93 race tune and the car was already very responsive, and at times erratic, so it's hard to tell the difference. The temperature was around 78 which also also cooler than it has been lately.

As denoted in the instructions, I disconnected the negative battery cable during the install. When I started the car it idled at just above 2k and then settled into the 1100 range. I backed out of the driveway and drove out. I had to hold my foot on the brake, otherwise it would cruise at 40mph (not good). I got about 2 miles from the house and the angry wrench popped up and she sputtered. I immediately pulled over and shut the car off, then I turned the key on and off 3 times to reset the system, then on the fourth time I started her back up. She's been fine since. Drove out to McDonalds, hit the short stretch of highway on the way back and punched her a bit. So far so good, but as I said - can't really notice much. Maybe MPG will improve?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:11 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kzonts
Throttle body update...

I dropped in the new ported throttle body this morning and took her for a test drive. I'm running the 93 race tune and the car was already very responsive, and at times erratic, so it's hard to tell the difference. The temperature was around 78 which also also cooler than it has been lately.

As denoted in the instructions, I disconnected the negative battery cable during the install. When I started the car it idled at just above 2k and then settled into the 1100 range. I backed out of the driveway and drove out. I had to hold my foot on the brake, otherwise it would cruise at 40mph (not good). I got about 2 miles from the house and the angry wrench popped up and she sputtered. I immediately pulled over and shut the car off, then I turned the key on and off 3 times to reset the system, then on the fourth time I started her back up. She's been fine since. Drove out to McDonalds, hit the short stretch of highway on the way back and punched her a bit. So far so good, but as I said - can't really notice much. Maybe MPG will improve?

Didn't think you would notice much but a throttle response increase without being FI the stock throttle body is plenty efficient when allowing air into the motor. Also turning the key off and on 3 times resets what? I'm not doubting you I've just never heard of that lol.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:35 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Didn't think you would notice much but a throttle response increase without being FI the stock throttle body is plenty efficient when allowing air into the motor. Also turning the key off and on 3 times resets what? I'm not doubting you I've just never heard of that lol.
On the BBK web site they have a video of their throttle body install, and the troubleshooting section says that cycling the key 3 times (without starting the engine) resets the fault codes. I didn't have much other choice at that point, so that's what I did.

I drove the car a good 30 miles today and no issues.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:51 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I hit the hood with the Porter Cable today. Not too bad. I've never used one of these machines, so it's true when they say it's safe. I also did half the hood on my red Ford Ranger which hasn't been waxed for years and it removed all the swirl marks. Awesome machine. Can't wait to do the rest of the car.

Last edited by kzonts; 08-27-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:12 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biceps
Get some Raxiom Smoked Tail Lights to compliment that CDC Decklid panel. Makes a HUGE difference and really completes the look back there.

BTW - even after supercharging, I still have the mod bug like crazy. I don't think you ever get over it.
Good point. I tinted my lights so the panel will definitely finish it up nice.

I need to stop the mods soon since I plan to buy a 2014 or 2015 model. My daughter will get this one. At least it will stay in the familiy.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:47 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Had to remove the ported throttle body. The car is not accepting the donor organ! :-)

Anyone have any experience with ported throttle bodies with SCT/BAMA tunes? I thought maybe the computer would make some adjustments for this. At this point I assume I need a customized tune. I guess this is the price you pay when experimenting.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:02 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Car looks amazing kzonts! That porter really polished it up nicely, maybe I'll gather the ***** and go get one lol. Looks almost like the paint is still liquid!

I do believe you need a tune for the throttle body from what I have heard. Did it not say that on the americanmuscle site (or wherever you got it)? Maybe some need a tune, and others say tuneless...?

You might just want to contact BAMA and let them know about the change, I'm sure it's a very small change in the tune.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:55 PM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

I just got done detailing my car this morning. I really need a machine polisher! Well, not really, but I believe it's a must have when owning a black Mustang because swirl marks show up easily.

What hand polishing products you guys using? I've tried a couple different ones and the effort I put in is not worth the results IMO, of course it won't produce results like that of a machine polisher but I still expected more from hand polishing.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:38 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by goodfun_gt
I just got done detailing my car this morning. I really need a machine polisher! Well, not really, but I believe it's a must have when owning a black Mustang because swirl marks show up easily.

What hand polishing products you guys using? I've tried a couple different ones and the effort I put in is not worth the results IMO, of course it won't produce results like that of a machine polisher but I still expected more from hand polishing.
My kit came with the Wolfgang polishes and swirl remover. Seems to work pretty good. I also did a small section by hand and it came out real nice.

http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/

Last edited by kzonts; 08-28-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Still have the mod bug...