Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Which F/I
Powerhouse turbo
11.76%
X charger (extreme)
55.88%
Vortec
26.47%
Procharger
0%
Other / nitrous / v8 swap (specify)
5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Your favorite forced induction for our 4.0's

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 05:41 AM
JimC

Well my Xcharger was an incredible deal and lucky timing - and I had to trade some parts as part of it. If he had kept his old parts it wouldn't have been that cheap.

And as far as running it in the winter. I drive year round here in Michigan, with a 45 mile one way commute. No problems at all. Just make sure that the intercooler has anti freeze in it and not straight water or you will freeze and crack the heat exchangers! For the winter it is like any other radiator, unless you have an air to air system (which isn't available for the roots style Xcharger)
Old 09-30-2011, 07:56 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aerbourne
you got a used xcharger for $850!?!?! HOLY ****. SUDDENLY THIS COLLEGE KID HAS ATTAINABLE DREAMS!!!
Youll have to fight me for it first.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:41 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
Youll have to fight me for it first.
Challenge Accepted.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Could be ugly
Old 09-30-2011, 04:55 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aerbourne
you got a used xcharger for $850!?!?! HOLY ****. SUDDENLY THIS COLLEGE KID HAS ATTAINABLE DREAMS!!!
LMAO!
Ya $850 but I'd imagine install is an arm and a leg + intercooler, still super cheap though! Most CAI kits are just under that price!

As far as swap I think I'm going o stay away from that because I plan on getting a New GT someday, probably 2015 GT model depending on my job situation down the road. So I think f/I is good for now
Old 09-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
If you want to troll go to OT.

OP, if you think that you will be happy with a supercharger/turbo charger and not want anymore HP later on then get FI. However, if you think you are going to get power hungry swap in a V8. After you go FI, there isn't a whole lot more to be done, although a pulley swap can get you quite a few more hor. ses. Eddie and Jim both have monsters using the 4.0, and running in the 12s at the track is pretty damn awesome. I would consider all of your options really well before you dump in the money.
Ok chief. On a side note and this is not referring to your post (to lazy to start a new one) when someone asked this question several months ago I suggested swapping in a V8 and all you wee 6er's got all excited/pissed off by my suggestion. You people with the 6's (not all) are a tad strange to say the least, a sixxer suggests an 8 and all is ok, an 8er suggests it they are trolling. If I were trolling I would just come out and say something like "a six is for secretaries/wimps/geeks etc etc. Anyways if it will make some here happy I vote for the 8 swap as this will get you down the freeway onramp toute sweet bwah
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
^^ I lol'd JimC.

Just cause I don't take my car to the track doesn't mean I don't ever get on the throttle. Where I live there are plenty of long, straight roads with a view five miles down the road where you can see almost anything. I go put all the time and go ***** to the wall, but I'd like to go a little faster! Not to say I won't track my car because I know when I get supercharged the first thing I'll want to do is go to a track but the nearest one to me is a couple hours away.

Thanks for all the info on the x and the vortech! I appreciate it, I'll see what deals I can find and hopefully puck something up within the next month.
One more thing... How do these work in winter..? I unfortunately have to use my car in the winter. I'm looking for a beater car to use instead but haven't found one cheap enough. One of my buddies found a car a couple years ago for $300 and they put 100k on it already lol
Funny I laughed to as Homer is my idol. Anywho a s/c works the same in the summer as it would in the winter. Hit the gas it whines, easy on the gas no whine. Is there something more specific in your question that you need answered?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
For some reason whenever you post all I can hear is Homer Simpson saying, "does anyone care what this guy thinks"
Great now my feelings are hurt and you made me cry
Old 09-30-2011, 09:17 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Snakebite64
Ok chief. On a side note and this is not referring to your post (to lazy to start a new one) when someone asked this question several months ago I suggested swapping in a V8 and all you wee 6er's got all excited/pissed off by my suggestion. You people with the 6's (not all) are a tad strange to say the least, a sixxer suggests an 8 and all is ok, an 8er suggests it they are trolling. If I were trolling I would just come out and say something like "a six is for secretaries/wimps/geeks etc etc. Anyways if it will make some here happy I vote for the 8 swap as this will get you down the freeway onramp toute sweet bwah
Well just pointing it out... but the thread title is "Your favorite forced induction for our 4.0s". So why are you in here anyways? Jw. And mainly people get "excited/pissed off" when you suggest a V8 swap because majority of the time its that GT/GT500 guy making some smart *** comment a long the lines of "Why waste your money on a V6? Sell it and buy a GT" ect...
Old 10-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

^^please see last option in his poll and well I suppose you could then apologize. Why am I in here, good question and I will reply with are you ever in the v8 sections. If you are never in the 8 sections I will apologize

Quick Reply: Your favorite forced induction for our 4.0's