Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Which F/I
Powerhouse turbo
11.76%
X charger (extreme)
55.88%
Vortec
26.47%
Procharger
0%
Other / nitrous / v8 swap (specify)
5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Your favorite forced induction for our 4.0's

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default Your favorite forced induction for our 4.0's

Well I've got a promotion at work and seriously considering going the F/I route or doing an engine swap to a V8.
Personally I've heard so many good things about the different types and brands of F/I. What is your personal favorite and why?

And what would you recommend me to get - I want something that accelerates very quickly. I personally would rather do 0-60 really fast rather than the quarter mile. I dont have a track anywhere near me so I just like going out to the country and doing some pulls from a dead stop every now and then. I also want something that is fairly low maintenance and reliable as my car is my DD. I've watched videos and read about the powerhouse turbo. What's everyone's take on that? I plan on getting an 8.8 rear end w/t-lok & some gears too before I get the F/I. Hopefully some bigger rims/tires too otherwise I could see major traction issues.

Or would you guys say I'm vest off just getting some nitrous? 50-75 shot?
I can see any of these options being a lot of money but it's time for more speed! I love my car way too much to sell it and get a GT or something else, it's got way more sentimental value to me than that.
Anyways let me know your thoughts and opinions!

Last edited by maxshuty; 09-28-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
I love my car way too much to sell it and get a GT or something else, it's got way more sentimental value to me than that.
Anyways let me know your thoughts and opinions!
Well if you're serious about this. I vote v8 Swap.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:15 AM
JimC

If you aren't looking for a track set up then stay away from nitrous. It isn't a street use product so it doesn't fit your intended use. Nitrous is really only a track use power adder - you have to fill the bottle, turn it on, keep it heated to pressurize, etc. Most places you can't have it on when you are on the street, and if you have it installed you can't leave it on all the time because the pressure will wear out the solenoids after time - that is why it is a track use only power adder.

I like my Xcharger Xtreme and for street use it is great. The low end torque is great for 0-60 because it doesn't need to spool up like a turbo or centri system.

At the track, the turbo and centri systems will be better since they continue to build power once spooled up and at the top end of the track. My Xcharger is great for getting off the line but at the top end of the track the turbo and centri will catch me.

From what you describe as your goal the Xcharger sounds like what you are looking for.

Last edited by JimC; 09-29-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:14 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

You will get different responses from different owners of the certain type/brand of FI. The reason I prefer a centrifugal over the x-charger is mainly because it is cheaper, makes more power per psi, has faster time slips, and is expandable/upgradable. You can pick up an intercooled vortech kit with everything for $4500 compared to the $6000 price tag of an intercooled X-charger and you still won't make as much power.... But it will be close. Its all personal preference and what you will be using the car for, I believe the X-charger is better for road racing/auto x. Originally I was going with a turbo setup but came across a deal on my Vortech, turbos will give you the most power and will break the most stuff too! Lol. Just do lots of research!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Uh oh here we go again lol
Old 09-29-2011, 01:15 PM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

X-charger.....works well and is reliable.....
Old 09-29-2011, 01:57 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Alec
Uh oh here we go again lol
No, I think we've proven we can have an adult discussion on this topic! And the OP posed the question in a way that promotes the discussion as to what fits his goals.

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
You will get different responses from different owners of the certain type/brand of FI. The reason I prefer a centrifugal over the x-charger is mainly because it is cheaper, makes more power per psi, has faster time slips, and is expandable/upgradable. You can pick up an intercooled vortech kit with everything for $4500 compared to the $6000 price tag of an intercooled X-charger and you still won't make as much power.... But it will be close. Its all personal preference and what you will be using the car for, I believe the X-charger is better for road racing/auto x. Originally I was going with a turbo setup but came across a deal on my Vortech, turbos will give you the most power and will break the most stuff too! Lol. Just do lots of research!
Everything you said is accurate (of course my bias says that the Xcharger is best overall because that is what I have LOL). I recommended the Xcharger though based upon the OP's stated goals.

If he was looking for a drag strip oriented set up, then definitely the turbo would be the way to go. Just look at Brumby and Jenna on the Collective. I can't touch their times on the track. But I still prefer my Xcharger because my car is daily driver first and I like the instant response on the highway when I am changing lanes - it has the power where I need it each day, and I give up a little at the track until the TVS R1900 becomes an option.

Last edited by JimC; 09-29-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:32 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

When I get the cash to go FI, It will be with the Xcharger
Old 09-29-2011, 03:02 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Hmm some very interesting responses.
I'm not trying to stir anything up either :P

I'm definitely not looking for a track car at the moment, just something I can cruise down exit ramps quickly in and what not. My next car is actually going to be a lotus exige s (yes flame me idc :P :P ). I plan on going all out with that and making that my track car I can corner in. Hopefully someday I'll have a drag car but I think that the f/I setup on the stang will throw me in the right direction although it's not what I want now.

Since no one has gone the pro charger route on this thread I'll throw that out and ask what the major differences are between the vortec/x charger? Price (used & new), horsepower, acceleration, warranties (if any), mpg loss (not that it matters much), reliability, etc. Some has been covered already but just curious.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
Hmm some very interesting responses.
I'm not trying to stir anything up either :P

I'm definitely not looking for a track car at the moment, just something I can cruise down exit ramps quickly in and what not. My next car is actually going to be a lotus exige s (yes flame me idc :P :P ). I plan on going all out with that and making that my track car I can corner in. Hopefully someday I'll have a drag car but I think that the f/I setup on the stang will throw me in the right direction although it's not what I want now.

Since no one has gone the pro charger route on this thread I'll throw that out and ask what the major differences are between the vortec/x charger? Price (used & new), horsepower, acceleration, warranties (if any), mpg loss (not that it matters much), reliability, etc. Some has been covered already but just curious.
I paid under $3000 for my fully intercooled, polished vortech kit and that came with a Saleen heat exchanger, battery relocation kit, canton intercooler reservoir, and the 2.87 pulley (13psi). You probably haven't heard much from Procharger people because well... google Procharger failure. I'm not saying a Vortech is superior to a Procharger but I don't hear nearly as many horror stories compared to Procharger. As far as MPG goes I can drive all day without ever touching boost so its pretty much the same but if you start getting crazy with it its all over for MPG lol! Vortech has a 3 year/30k mile warranty I believe, or maybe its just 3 years? Regardless the X-charger has prooven reliability there is no denying that. But at the same time my Vortech has had 4 owners (me being the 4th) with well over 100k miles and 58k miles since the last rebuild. No leaks or anything! And it was rebuilt the first time just cause, there was nothing wrong with it! Personally I don't think the Xcharger is worth getting if youre not getting it intercooled... Non-intercooled they have crazy high IATs and don't make much for power... I've seen numerous only put down in the 250-270 range non-intercooled, which would still have trouble with a stock GT! That ain't worth it to me, but maybe thats just me?!

Quick Reply: Your favorite forced induction for our 4.0's