Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Magnaflow 16605

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:02 PM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

Default Magnaflow 16605

I went to a yard today to see If I could get some exhaust hangers and found that the car had a magnaflow exhaust 16605, Which is the reverse y pipe system to convert a v6 to dual exhaust. I grabbed the y pipe and mid pipes for $25 figuring that I could use my GT take off mufflers with it. I got home and realized that the mid pipes are shorter than they need to be to run the GT mufflers with out fabbing a peice of pipe on each side to make it work. So my question is, should I go back and grab the glasspack style axel backs that go with it? Or see if an exhaust shop can fab up sections of pipes to run my GT mufflers? I dont want the car too sound too loud or ricey so I dont think I will like the glass packs. How hard would it be for a shop to fab up the pipes? They need to be about 7" long and bend slightly to fit the mufflers. advice?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

I have the magnaflo catted true duals with x-pipe doesnt sound ricey to me it sounds mean IMO go back and grab them you wont be dissapointed.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:13 PM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

are the mufflers you have the fatory style? or the glasspack style like the ones i may get. You car looks great btw I got a GT rear bumper on the back too with one muffler so it looks kinda dumb and i want duals
Old 10-05-2011, 10:41 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

thank yours looks like a Gt mine are glasspacks they sound deep and throaty when in lower gears but quiet hardly noticable at highway speeds. If you can pick them up for $50 or so i say do it if you dont like them you could always sell them. and double your money
Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 PM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

I will go and get them tomorrow and try them out, we will see what happens with them. It looks like this is a 500 dollar system I can get for less than $100. BTW this is the car I got it off of, pretty much the only good thing left on it..

Old 10-06-2011, 12:31 AM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

Wow I have never seen a s197 that destroyed if you can get the magnaflows that cheap your definatly getting a bargain too bad it didn't havve the x pipe setup the added horsepower is nice they should still look and sound good though
Old 10-06-2011, 08:34 AM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

Make sure to post how they turned out
Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 AM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

The yard wants $80 for the axelbacks so I will go and get them in the next few days! I will post up!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:57 PM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

As the day goes on I am leaning more and more towards just saving up and getting the exhaust set up I wanted because It really will not be much more expensive. What I want to do is get the pypes cut and clamp X pipe, for $140, Then go to the parts store and get the drivers side intermediate pipe for $50. And I already have pretty much brand new manual GT mufflers. I can install it all myself, that's no issue. I think that's what I am going to do because I really don't want to pay $80 for a set of used probably beat up glass packs then try and put it all together and see that it doesn't fit right because the pipes are tweaked. Plus I dont really want the car louder than it already is with the one GT muffler on it. I am sure when I get my CAI and tune the true duals will help some too.

Last edited by BeachBlv; 10-06-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BeachBlv
As the day goes on I am leaning more and more towards just saving up and getting the exhaust set up I wanted because It really will not be much more expensive. What I want to do is get the pypes cut and clamp X pipe, for $140, Then go to the parts store and get the drivers side intermediate pipe for $50. And I already have pretty much brand new manual GT mufflers. I can install it all myself, that's no issue. I think that's what I am going to do because I really don't want to pay $80 for a set of used probably beat up glass packs then try and put it all together and see that it doesn't fit right because the pipes are tweaked. Plus I dont really want the car louder than it already is with the one GT muffler on it. I am sure when I get my CAI and tune the true duals will help some too.
For that much you can have a shop custom make an x and mid pipe and install it all. Just saying. It is fun to do it yourself though. Where were ya for coffee and cars on Saturday? I went from 9-10, washed my car so I wouldn't be embarresed pulling in, then it rained 3 straight days! Never happens in Vegas.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 16605