Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Car Won't Start. Electrical Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Bearcat94

Default Car Won't Start. Electrical Problem?

2005 V6 Automatic, Deluxe. ~75,000 miles. Stock.

Car won't start. It's not here for me to look at it or hear it. Sounds like the radio, windows and key fob (locks) work. Starter turns but car does not start.

Any ideas?

Daughter is at her apt (3 hrs away), so not stranded, but pretty much stuck there without her car.

I'm afraid it might be the SJB. I've read about the water problems. AND the car had recently (past couple months) shown signs of an electrical gremlin. Occasionally while driving the A/C would cut in and out randomly. When that happened the power windows would also stop working.

Assuming this may be the root cause, is the SJB user replaceable (assume a reasonable amount of mechanical skill)? If so, how much and how to keep it from happening in the future?

Also, if I can replace it myself, where to purchase?

TIA.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:45 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

Did she run out of gas? sounds stupid but worth checking the obvious. Even if the gauge says there is some ask when the last time she got gas. how about the fuses? could be the fuel pump or something else fuel related. Does it strain when it turns over or does it turn over freely? Any check engine lights? Typically SJB problems does not affect the cars ability to start.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Bearcat94

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
Did she run out of gas? sounds stupid but worth checking the obvious. Even if the gauge says there is some ask when the last time she got gas. how about the fuses? could be the fuel pump or something else fuel related. Does it strain when it turns over or does it turn over freely? Any check engine lights? Typically SJB problems does not affect the cars ability to start.
Haha! I asked that to. Gas is low, but she has gas.

She was able to get the car jumped and it's been running ~30 mins or so. She reports that the Window Button and the Door Lock Button lights are flickering.

It may worth noting the car has sat, without being started, since Sunday. Also, there is no sign (nore ever has been) of wet carpeting or anything like that (but that whole water leak/SJB has me skittish).

I'll have to wait and see what happens the next day or so.

Think it's worth changing out the battery?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

is it an OEM battery? even if its not, if jumping it off fixed the problem then it sounds like it wasn't getting juice comming from the battery. Seeing as its an 05 it is susceptible to all kinds of quirks. I would replace the battery and check under the carpet to see if there was any water. mine didn't have any immediate signs of water but after pulling the panels, there were signs of the TSB
Old 09-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Bearcat94

Pretty sure, but not positive, that it's an OEM battery. Maybe the original.

I have previously, after hard rain, etc., checked for signs of water under the carpet and in the panel where the SJB is. I did not find any evidence of water inside the car.

I did, however, find a piece of plastic foam-like material draped over the SJB with tape as if to keep water from getting into the SJB.

Any recommendations on a replacement battery?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

Interstate or Diehard Gold, no need to go Optima and def not Motorcraft. Its worth getting the alternator checked too.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Bearcat94

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
Interstate or Diehard Gold, no need to go Optima and def not Motorcraft. Its worth getting the alternator checked too.

I was thinking the same thing about the alternator.

Hopefully a new battery and/or alternator fixes our problems. :crossfingers:

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Bearcat94

Had her stop by Autozone for a quick check on the battery and alternator. They said both pass.

:dunno:
Old 09-08-2011, 03:36 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Had her stop by Autozone for a quick check on the battery and alternator. They said both pass.
They tend to be about as useful as the average radio shack salesman for building circuits.

If getting a jump lets her start the car, then the battery obviously wasn't either holding a charge, or getting one. SJB might have been the cause, as that particular gremlin could have drained it to start with.

It really sounds like (assuming all symptoms stated by daughter are on the money, lights flickering, etc) this might be something to spend the money on to have a reputable dealer look into. As even a nearly dead battery should not cause lights to flicker, AC to kick in and out, etc..

A few other basic things to look into before taking it in:
  • pull/check all of the ground leads in the engine bay, most of all the main chassis one from the battery, and the one going to the shell of the Alternator(as this is the absolute ground).
  • Check for broken insulation on the lines leading to corrosion, and the contact points themselves(wire brush any contact points that look corroded).
  • also if you can, have a look behind the SJB itself, and after that check the local grounds and leads there as well.

Last edited by wayne613; 09-08-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:05 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The SJB has nothing to do with the vehicle running or not.
It should start unless the PCM is not allowing it to start.
The worst thing for the PCM is low battery voltage.
Thats the culprit, not the SJB.
Battery or Alternator or wiring to said Battery or Alternator.

Quick Reply: Car Won't Start. Electrical Problem?