Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Procharge my v6...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Default Procharge my v6...

Before I get blasted for not buying a legitimate Ford Mustang v6 kit,
let me just say this.

There is no way I can afford a full kit. Nor will I ever be able too (within the next 3 years at least.)

I have a friend who is very very car handy. He takes apart and puts engines back together for fun, and knows all kinds of stuff about cars.
He's got prochargers and superchargers sitting around in his garage with nothing to go in, lol.

He said he'd be willing to help me out on making a kit for my stang.
So for starters, what all will be required to put the procharger into my stang?
We have access to a pipe bender, and he has a lot of extra tubing for the setups, so I'm not worried about that.

Along the lines of brackets, bypass valves, whatever else could be needed..

So essentially, what all besides the head unit is required for the procharger setup?

And what would be a good procharger to go with? (preferably intercooled) and under the prive of $1500 (just the head unit.) And not necessarily mustang designed chargers.

Also, how much boost could I run with my stock 4.0 engine and stock rearend?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:48 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
Before I get blasted for not buying a legitimate Ford Mustang v6 kit,
let me just say this.

There is no way I can afford a full kit. Nor will I ever be able too (within the next 3 years at least.)

I have a friend who is very very car handy. He takes apart and puts engines back together for fun, and knows all kinds of stuff about cars.
He's got prochargers and superchargers sitting around in his garage with nothing to go in, lol.

He said he'd be willing to help me out on making a kit for my stang.
So for starters, what all will be required to put the procharger into my stang?
We have access to a pipe bender, and he has a lot of extra tubing for the setups, so I'm not worried about that.

Along the lines of brackets, bypass valves, whatever else could be needed..

So essentially, what all besides the head unit is required for the procharger setup?

And what would be a good procharger to go with? (preferably intercooled) and under the prive of $1500 (just the head unit.) And not necessarily mustang designed chargers.

Also, how much boost could I run with my stock 4.0 engine and stock rearend?
With centrifugal blowers they really aren't designed for a certain model and are used across many model/makes. The only difference really is how they are mounted. You will need injectors, brackets, pulleys, an intercooler since most prochargers come air to air, piping, BOV. Thats all I can think of right now.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

Is there somewhere I can find a list of the parts?
and how much boost do you think the stock rear end could hold?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:55 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Let me qualify all this by saying that I am no expert on centris or scs in general

The fact is you want to be careful and you may want to think twice about letting your friend do this. Not trying to blast you for going outside the normal kits, I would just hate to see you blow the motor on an experiment. Just tryin to look out for you.

On the PSI note, alot of people are running around with stock motors and 10-12 PSI. I know the X would kill a rear end, but the fact is with the procharger you have a much more gradual hp/ tq curve, unlike the x where you are at max boost and torque around 2k RPM. So you have that going for you

Another thing to consider is that the majority of those who have gone centri have gone Vortech. Im pretty sure theres a reason for that.

Once again not to hate man, im in a similar situation financially, but theres nothing to be gained from taking the cheap road with our cars. If you can only run 4-7 PSI for fear of breaking your rear, you are not going to get the most out of the SC. Youd be getting alot more bang for your $ by saving to get an 8.8". Of course, you could always get FI now and just get an 8.8" and a different pulley later. That said, cuz this car is your dd and you need it for reliable transportation and any FI period would be a crapshoot (I believe JimC broke his BUILT 7.5" rear with a CAI and some big Nittos) I would highly reccomend getting the rear end first. If you dont, youre really just playing russian roulette with your rear.

Not to be a hater mate, I depserately want to go FI too. But I also have financial constraints, and I know that I cant afford to not have my car because it broke down because I decided to scrimp on a part.

I could be completely wrong. Your rear end and motor could be completely fine, and this could work out brilliantly for you. But I feel obligated to tell you the other side, because I would hate to see you hurt your car. And while I personally have almost no experience with FI (exception, my dads Saleen 4.6) I have read almost every post on this damn forum in the last 6 months.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:57 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

If you do decide to do this, just for the love of GOD buy the best wastegate you can find. Wastegate failures = dead motors.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:08 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Definitly understand what you're saying.
I think if i did actually do this (this is just seeing what all I would actually need and what it would cost...) I'd run a low boost for now, then upgrade to the bigger rear-end once I had the money for it.
I feel if I put the money down for a rear-end first, I'll never get to putting the procharger in.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:10 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Definitly understand what you're saying.
I think if i did actually do this (this is just seeing what all I would actually need and what it would cost...) I'd run a low boost for now, then upgrade to the bigger rear-end once I had the money for it.
I feel if I put the money down for a rear-end first, I'll never get to putting the procharger in.
Trust me when I say this, I wish I did everything the other way around. I bought the supercharger first before anything else (deal at the time). But I wish I had replaced the rear, tranny/clutch beforehand because your car is pretty much handicapped with the stock clutch/tranny, rear. Which I know you have an auto so you will not have any issues with that. Your rear end will be fine. I was running around with the 7.5 for awhile and the one tire fire actually saves you from blowing or breaking anything apart with it. Also nothing against Procharger but like mentioned above most go with Vortech for a few different reasons... Just go to google and type in something a long the lines of "Procharger failure" and just read the horror stories. I have not found nearly as many Vortech horror stories as a Procharger.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:54 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

What would the price difference and setup be between prochargers and say a vortech?
like I said, my friend has pretty much all of the parts needed to setup the procharger, just gotta piece a few other things together.

I'd do the research but I have to head to bed here soon, lol.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:35 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

What would the price difference and setup be between prochargers and say a vortech?
like I said, my friend has pretty much all of the parts needed to setup the procharger, just gotta piece a few other things together.

I'd do the research but I have to head to bed here soon, lol.
Looks like you have some research to do, I'm not the one trying to get one.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:59 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Here's a question...
found a GT500 supercharger on ebay for 600 bucks.
What would that require to mount up?

Quick Reply: Procharge my v6...