Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

synchros or pressure plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:42 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Default synchros or pressure plate

wanted to get yalls opinions on something. this past weekend i went to MSR in houston (its a road course for those that dont know) and ran my car pretty damn hard to find out the limits of my new konis. in total i was on track for an hour. towards the end of each of my 30 minute runs, when i would shift into 3rd it was grinding like crazy. and these are quick shifts too, especially with the MGW short shifter. also, on my cool down laps, i would slowly shift into 5th, and get a grinding noise as well. even when i left the track and got on the freeway, it was still grinding going into 5th. now both these problems have been happening with my car before, but never to this extent. i noticed the 5th gear problem about a year ago, when i would downshift to pass someone on the freeway, run it up to a highish RPM (like 3500), and put it in 5th at a normal speed, there was grinding. the 3rd gear thing didnt start till last winter, and only really happened until it got warmed up. now tho, anytime i shift fairly quickly into 3rd, theres grinding. also sometimes at a stop i cant get the car into 1st. i either have to really slam it in, or double clutch. after doing a forum search, i think it is either the pressure plate or the synchros, but i have no idea which one. im gonna try changing the transmission fluid to the penz synchromesh, but any other ideas or comments would be welcome!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 PM
aero86
2nd Gear Member

i had a failed pressure plate do that to me on a different car.. but there was a noise too.. a spring had popped out.. may not be related to your issue
Old 10-19-2011, 09:37 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

ok thanks il keep that in mind
Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Hey man sorry for the issues you are having, what it comes down to is the T5 is a piece of crap. I believe its the synchros that give people so many problems with them!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:30 AM
CommanderCOOL
2nd Gear Member

i had a similar problem when shifting into 5th under medium to medium hard acceleration, (ie. freeway onramps) I took it to ford because I am still under warranty and turns out the synchros were bad and needed to be replaced. I don't drive my car hard very often and haven't tracked it so its just a poorly built transmission. I think i have heard of some people going with some high end transmission fluid after hearing grinding and some have reported less after the change, Or if you are under warranty still go to ford and tell them TO FIX IT!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:38 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

yea i might take it to ford but idk if its covered. im over 35k miles but i think thats just the bumper to bumper. but i thought i looked in my car stuff and it said the powertrain is covered to 60k. this might be a noob question but is the tranny part of the powertrain? and i hope they dont give me **** on the short shifter either if i do take it in
Old 10-20-2011, 05:45 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
yea i might take it to ford but idk if its covered. im over 35k miles but i think thats just the bumper to bumper. but i thought i looked in my car stuff and it said the powertrain is covered to 60k. this might be a noob question but is the tranny part of the powertrain? and i hope they dont give me **** on the short shifter either if i do take it in
Yes the transmission is part of the powertrain...
Old 10-20-2011, 07:20 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Yes the transmission is part of the powertrain...
ok cool thats what i thought
Old 10-21-2011, 12:50 AM
CommanderCOOL
2nd Gear Member

And yes they will give you grief about the about shifter. When they were fixing mine they called me and asked if my shifter was aftermarket.(luckily its only a ****) so i think they were and will try to weasel out of warranty work. I would replace your shifter with the stock one...
Old 10-21-2011, 07:26 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CommanderCOOL
And yes they will give you grief about the about shifter. When they were fixing mine they called me and asked if my shifter was aftermarket.(luckily its only a ****) so i think they were and will try to weasel out of warranty work. I would replace your shifter with the stock one...
+1, depending on the dealership/people working on your car they may just blame the shifter for the issues you are having. It would take a good amount of time to pull the transmission fix it and put it back.

Quick Reply: synchros or pressure plate