Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:18 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

The duals won't do much fr performance, but the CAI is good, tune is good, get an 8.8 rear with either 3.73s or 4.10s, new shocks/struts/springs/bars (ask Sam Strano in the Handling section for help on this) and an aluminum driveshaft.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
...shorty headers are not worth it. Dual exhaust will not give you huge gains, but more of better looks and sound.

The CAI & tune is your only real power adder unless you go FI. Figure on about 15-20 RWHP with a CAI & good tune.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 PM
aero86
2nd Gear Member

oh, my that mustang looks amazing. youd almost have to be s/c'ed to drive that thing around, everything would be revving at you or asking you to do a burn out. lol
Old 11-08-2011, 12:48 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

OP, like everyone else said, your CAI/tune combo will give you your bang for your buck. Shorty headers and dual exhaust won't net you hardly anything (if anything at all) and are more for sound. I love my shorties, definitely killed some of the raspiness above 4k.

I would think that you're looking at about 25rwhp, maybe even 30 optimistically.

As for drifting, you'll definitely need some suspension goodies, none more important than a t-loc to get power to both of the wheels, and steeper gears will help as well.

Happy modding!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

OP-
I ran 207 hp on the dyno recently with my cai/tune, and duals. Thats a gain of about 20ish, just to give you an idea of what to expect.

I am selling my C&L cai, email/PM sent if your interested.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:03 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

I've personally settled on doing Long tube headers, not shorties. From what I've been told shorties are only there to make your engine look pretty.

while getting a CAI and tuner, you might want to look at throttle body spacers. i've seen them claiming to earn you another 8 to 15 horsepower and they only cost like $50 to $115. seems like a large increase for a low amount of money. this is what i've read, but i don't know anyone who has ever added a throttle body spacer. so if anyone thinks i'm wrong here, PLEASE correct me. both for the OP and myself haha.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre
while getting a CAI and tuner, you might want to look at throttle body spacers. i've seen them claiming to earn you another 8 to 15 horsepower and they only cost like $50 to $115. seems like a large increase for a low amount of money. this is what i've read, but i don't know anyone who has ever added a throttle body spacer. so if anyone thinks i'm wrong here, PLEASE correct me. both for the OP and myself haha.
I personally haven't gone the way of the TB spacer, but most people on here seem to agree that the hp claims are bogus and the spacer is a total waste of money. Im sure somebody with personal experience will chime in though.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

+1 on the TB spacer being nothing but a paper weight. I have no personal experience but all these claims people make on reviews of that thing must be smoking or the placebo effect has taken over giving them the impression that it gave them some form of gain they could feel. If it did give you a gain I am sure you won't be able to feel it...
Old 11-15-2011, 07:27 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

well i'd rely on the info of the two who responded. i've done a little research and it really does come down to personal opinion. some say there were increases, others say there weren't. some claim the increases are only evident on older motors.. everyone does agree that it seems to add some sort of whistle to the engine though hahaha. at this point i now think that i'd take it as a gift, or maybe pay for it if its less than fifty dollars.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:16 PM
djoneill
1st Gear Member

Default CAI, Tune, Gears, Sways... OH MY!

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
The duals won't do much fr performance, but the CAI is good, tune is good, get an 8.8 rear with either 3.73s or 4.10s, new shocks/struts/springs/bars (ask Sam Strano in the Handling section for help on this) and an aluminum driveshaft.
This! And exhaust can be tough to get right on this car without the dreaded droning. I would leave that for last, but a tune & intake is a must-- especially with an auto. Headers? Seriously?

My first stop for suspension would be GT take off sways ($100 at the most), or pick up the whole suspension package over at newtakeoff.com. They transform the handling of the car.

Quick Reply: V6 upgrades