Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Timing chain rattle?

Old 01-08-2007, 07:42 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default Timing chain rattle?

hmmm i was on the ranger forums and it seems ALOT of them have problems with timing chain rattle and they said it just gets louder and louder...i have this odd rattle between 2400-3000 rpm's but it is pretty quiet and i didn't think anything of it...since they use basically the same motor in the sohc equipped ones, i was wondering if anyone had that rattle here and if they think that could be what it was. not really urgent, but some say it is so loud they can hear it outside of the car which i dont want.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Timing chain rattle?

i know our injectors our loud as all hell.. when i pop the hood, thats all i hear.. tick tick tick tick tick tick tick
Old 01-08-2007, 08:07 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

Do we have timing chains or timing belts? Not starting an argument here, I honestly don't know.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Our 4.0L V6 has three timing chains. One main one and two extras the engineers thought we could use. (Sorry Scrming, I couldn't help myself).
Old 01-08-2007, 09:32 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

I dont get it? haha

ORIGINAL: 05 Cayuse

Our 4.0L V6 has three timing chains. One main one and two extras the engineers thought we could use. (Sorry Scrming, I couldn't help myself).
Old 01-08-2007, 09:58 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

there is a sproket from the crankshaft that goes to a sproket at the top of the V (bottom arrow), that sproket has 2 other sprokets splined to it and they drive the camshaft at the top of the heads (top arrow)

lol i know the picture has a chain all clumped up at the bottom...
Old 01-08-2007, 10:04 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Nicksezz - I ruffled a few feathers yesterday when I voiced my concern about our V6's "overly complicated" design with three timing chains possibly making it more fragile under extreme use. I know better now than to go against forum concensus. LOL!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:11 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

Nicksezz - I ruffled a few feathers yesterday when I voiced my concern about our V6's "overly complicated" design with three timing chains possibly making it more fragile under extreme use. I know better now than to go against forum concensus. LOL!
Do you have any facts to backup the "fragile" theory?

So the popping noise is from the injectors-I thought it was valvetrain related...
Old 01-08-2007, 11:07 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Nothing wrong with bringing it up. It is a valid concern, but no more than our ****ty *** pistons. Just something we have to accept.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:17 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

this problem was fixed over 3 years ago, it effected all SOHC 4.0s, not just in the rangers.

the problem was the front tensioner kept bleeding off oil (they are oil pressure driven tensioners) so u would get timing chain rattle. in 2003 they redesigned the chain tensioner, and no problems since then that i know of. there is actually many tsb's out there for them.

ive replaced 2 of these at my shop, not too much work involved

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing chain rattle?