Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A little Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Foozy

Default A little Advice?

Hi guys, this is my first time posting on these forums (i've read through them recently).

Unfortunately what has brought this mod to life was my car got a nice phantom dent on the right rear quarterpanel right on the crease above the wheel. Needless to say its going into the shop for a repair after thanksgiving so since i'm dropping $500 bucks on something I didn't want/need..I'm getting something i've wanted out of it.

I am at a stage on my first mod to my GO 2009 V6 which is replacing the front and rear stock bumpers with GT/CS/Gt500 bumpers. Also installing the PIAA lighting system on the front bumper with the Brake vent/light kit bezel.

I picked up my bumper kits through my local ford dealer for a grand total of $811.67 along with some touch up paint included in that.
The lighting system+bezel was about $320.

Now comes the most difficult part (for me at least)
I can't have my nooby stock exhaust with such nice new bumpers.

I've watched so many youtube videos on primarily two different kits specifically for v6's it is crazy.

Pypes True dual exhaust system (x-pipe) $480ish
FRPP True dual exhaust sysytem (x-pipe) $650ish

I recently found a guy on youtube who basically has my car with at least the gt/cs bumper in GO with a custom exhaust.

Fully custom 2.25 Stainless Steel H-pipe with Muffler Eliminators and 3 1/2" tips. He states as $350 give or take from a muffler shop he used.
Here is a video of his for a sound example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf95y...eature=related

From what I have gathered, the H-pipe has the sound I want which is the Deeper/Throatier sound.

I can't find any kits that have and H-pipe specifically for a v6.
Would it be far fetched to use a GT/Gt500 exhaust kit?

Or should I check with a muffler shop to have an H-pipe fabricated along with mid pipes?
If I do that route should I just stick with muffler deletes or get some gt500 takeoffs?

Sorry for the length and bulkyness of this post and thanks for the read.

Foozy.

P.s. I know a lot of it is personal preference but I'm kind of stuck at a crossroads and you guys have experienced more with this than myself so I do appreciate any advice/opinions on the matter.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I hate to burst all of your thought process bubble, but to be totally honest, it won't make a lot of difference on a V6; there's less difference between the 2 on the 6 as compared to the diff on a GT and it simply won't have the rumble of an 8. I've heard the Pypes have poor quality but either would be an improvement over stock. I've heard the FRPP's on the 6 but not the Pypes, though. And don't expect any performance gains, either; just exhaust note improvement.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Foozy

Well thanks for the reply Nuke, honestly just have grown "tired" of my car as it is right now and as for being a college student I can't afford anything new to replace it.
I'm not looking for a v8 rumble, it's not a GT so I don't think it should sound like one but I do think it has the right to sound better than Ford made the 6 sound.

I'm mainly trying to breathe some new life into my first car until I can get something I truely desire.
Whenever that happens my girl will be taking over the reins on this one.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

In that case, spend your money on a CAI & custom tune for that breath of new life. The extra HP (roughly 15-20 RWHP on the V6) and improved driveability and shift points (if it's an auto) are worth a lot more than a little sound.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

If your wanting performance that seat of your pants feeling then the cai and tune are the way you wanna go, if your looking for sound and looks dual exhaust with high flow cats shorty headers and American thunder mufflers should get you some turned heads. But performance gains are minimal especially without a cai and tune all in all the full exhaust will cost you in the 1k range the cai and tune around 500
Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

I think you should search for a h-pipe and Flowmaster American Thunder on youtube. When I was in the same same position as you are right now, I searched the many videos and I found this combo to sound the best (I know its just an opinion though). I know a V6 will never sound like a V8, so I believe that the key is to make it sound as deep as possible. From all my research, I saw that the way to go about it is an h-pipe with chambered mufflers and leaving the stock cats on. The aforementioned combo is the one I got on mine and I honestly couldn't be any happier. And the intake will make it sound deeper as well.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:57 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Custom H and mid pipes with mufflers of your choice. Check out the MAC mufflers on youtube though, there is a really high quality video and IMO, they sound great.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:24 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

I have basically the same setup as the guy you said...
Got a GT H-pipe (it is NOT a direct fit, it had to be cut off behind the Cats, and welded onto my sixxer pipe...
Then ran pipes all the way back (threw in some SLP Loudmouth Shotgun Resonators to fight drone..), got a muffler shop to bend and hang some Custom muffler deletes.

So essentially it's straight pipe all the way back aside from the resonators (which is pretty much straight pipe, lol..)

You could put it together for maybe 300$, depending on how much your install costs.

I will tell you, it sounds AMAZING.
Typically when you take the mufflers off, it sounds terrible,
but with the extra 2 and a half feet of pipe, it gets rid of that loud obnoxious tone.
It's not too loud inside the cab,
but outside it sounds MEAN,.

I've had several people think it's a GT from the sound,
and personally I think it sounds like a GT with OEM mufflers on it.

I would highly recommend my setup, it's cheap, easy, and sounds amazing.
I'd be happy to link you to all the parts too.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:14 AM
Foozy

Wow guys, definitely wasn't expecting so much of a response while I was gone this weekend haha.

I really can't say thanks enough to everyone on their input.

I'm going to a local muffler shop near me tomorrow for a quote on a custom H-pipe and mid pipes.
Most likely going to try and find a pair of GTA mufflers (from the gt500's) if I can.

Didn't really think too much about a CAI with a custom tune but will definitely look into that aswell, 93 octane is sold pretty much everywhere in my area so that should be fun.
I've also found a shifter for my car I might get eventually ($400 for an auto, aftermarket shifter.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Kbw...eature=related

On progress with my current mods, got my front and rear GT/CS bumpers in, getting them painted this week and installing.
Also ordered the Shelby PIAA lighting system, still need to order my fog light switch from ford for them to be ran by themselves.
Since I only have my headlights currently I guess I need to order the fog light wiring harness aswell?
Old 11-21-2011, 12:41 AM
Foozy

Added a few pictures to my profile of my car before my bumpers/exhaust/lights are installed.

Also a few of my dent which has lead me to finally doing these modifications.

Quick Reply: A little Advice?