Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Suggested MODS for an European 2011 V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Corrado68

Default Suggested MODS for an European 2011 V6

Hi all,

I just bought a 2011 V6 Premium Convertible.
Candy red with Black top and Saddle Brown leather, full stock.... pictures should be visible in my garage.

While I wait that's being shipped to Europe, I'm already thinking at the possible modifications to add.

I'm an almost 44 years old fart, so I won't go too fancy with visual mods, I'm more insterested in performance add-ons, expecially considering that I'll be travelling to Germany every now and then (I work for a German company), thus enjoying the unlimited (legal!!) speed on the Autobahn

I'm also interested in tuning the car for better mileage at our legal highway speeds (about 94mph in some areas), since I plan on driving it a lot and fuel here costs double than in the US.

I've searched the forums and made a list like this:

1. A light tuning.
    What is the best option and how do you apply the tuning? I've found an item called "Diablosport Trinity T1000" which claims to A) add 20 rwhp B) gain 1-3 MPG and of course it should remove the Governor speed limit. Are the claims close to reality and is it worth the money? Suggested alternatives?
  2. Different gear ratio.
    Is it a good idea to install the 2.73 option and is it easy to install and/or affordable in price?
  3. Better rims and tyres
    I love the 19" black rims of the Performance Package, which go with the 255/40R19 Pirelli P Zero tyres. Sporty and classy, imho (see attached image below).
    By the way, what other size can I mount on the stock rims, if I just want to use higher speed rated tyres?
  4. New Mufflers
    I love the deeper sound given by the Borla Touring mufflers. Don't want to sound louder, only deeper... kind of V8 "wannabe", you know I would have taken the GT if it wasn't costing almost 10,000USD per year in taxes and insurance :-(
  5. Tuned Drive Shaft?
    I'm not sure about this point... I've read that the stock shaft is not suited to drive at Autobahn speeds: is that only a rumor, or should I consider a tuned drive shaft, and which one do you suggest?
Let me know your thought about the points above.

I have time before I do anything on the car, so I can take all your suggestions and make good use of them

Here are the rims I like:
Name:  vsHzo.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  59.5 KB
Old 01-07-2012, 11:28 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Congrats on your purchase and welcome!

As for tuning your car, check out Brenspeed and American Muscle (Bama). Get a cold air intake with the tuner from either of those companies and you will be set. I don't know how fuel is rated outside of the US, but if you don't have 87, 89, and 93 octane options you may want to call bama or brenspeed (whichever you choose) before purchasing to make sure they can tune your car for whatever octanes are offered in your area. The CAI and tune are totally worth the money (though shipping for you will be nasty) and you will think it is an entirely different car after you install them, especially if you have an automatic.

You might not want to go to a steeper gear ratio if you are worried about gas mileage, especially at high speeds. You will rev much higher on the highway and eat up alot more gas.

As for tires and rims, the pirellis are not very good tires. They are ok for typical daily driving, but if you want performance, the pirellis are not the best choice. I'd think you would be fine mounting a 275/35 or 275/40 on your stock rims, if they are 19x9".

Borlas are great mufflers with a cool sound. I don't know what other mufflers you have checked out but this thread has alot of exhaust videos for the 3.7l.

Driveshafts...... An aluminum driveshaft is always a great upgrade for any application, but recently some people have reported nasty vibrations from them at high speeds (90+). I believe the driveshaft problem is in the 05-09 V6s, seeing as how a different driveshaft, rearend, and transmission were used in the 11s. Wait for other members who are more familiar with the problem to chime in, because I am not sure.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:20 PM
FsuGoNoles63
2nd Gear Member

Do not remove the governor until you replace the driveshaft. The driveshaft cannot handle speeds over 120 mph. This is an example of what might happen by going over 120 with the stock driveshaft;

https://mustangforums.com/articles/2...ves-itself.php
Old 01-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Corrado68

I don't know how fuel is rated outside of the US
We normally fill up with 93 octanes (it's called 98 here but we have a different rating system, as I learnt recently)

As for tuning your car, check out Brenspeed and American Muscle (Bama). Get a cold air intake with the tuner from either of those companies and you will be set.
Thanks, I'll check them.

You might not want to go to a steeper gear ratio if you are worried about gas mileage, especially at high speeds. You will rev much higher on the highway and eat up alot more gas.
Well, actually I was planning to do the contrary, installing a gear ratio that would rev lower: which options are there for a V6 '11 Mustang in this direction?

I'd think you would be fine mounting a 275/35 or 275/40 on your stock rims, if they are 19x9".
I meant the stock 17" rims that come with the original V6, sorry. I wanted to know if I can upgrade to better tyres without changing the rims on day one... saving some bucks for a later purchase.

this thread has alot of exhaust videos for the 3.7l.
I'll check it out immediately, thanks

Do not remove the governor until you replace the driveshaft. The driveshaft cannot handle speeds over 120 mph
Yeah, I've already seen that thread and the various videos... that's why I asked
Old 01-07-2012, 07:02 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Your premium is likely coming with 3.31 gears, if not the 2.73's, nothing really lower than that for it that I'm aware of. Completely stock cars will come with 2.73's. I wouldn't downgrade gears for the life of me if I were you, as the v6 does bog a bit down low until it gets the RPM's up. 3.31's are absolutely perfect if yours comes that way. 3.73's are a poor man's turbo and a quick way to gain some speed for folks modding for 'more' power, albiet it eats into the gas mileage. (I wanna set of 3.73's!)

As for bigger tires on your existing rims - if they are the 19" 19x9's, you can slap some pretty hefty meat on those - you mentioned it's coming with 255's (all around?) You can go bigger in the front however larger wheels in the front like that leads to 'tramming' on roads (Maybe the Euro roads are better?). In the rear you can get pretty large, if you're starting with 255's all around you can certainly put a 275 on the back without even blinking. The Pirelli's as someone mentioned aren't the greatest, better tires await you. I dunno about going meatier than a 275 on a 9" width rim, can you get a set of staggered rears that are wider that match the stock?

In all honesty with the v6, good 255 tires hook up well, meatier rears may just add to your oversteer but that can be fun in itself. These new mustangs 'want' to get straight and seem to push themselves back in place quite well I've found.

GL with the modding, you are living the dream banging along on the autobahn..

The DS issue to me is sort of in the air (This did happen on a 05-09 car, and there has been some mention that the 11+'s aren't as susceptible due to tranny distance/shaft travel. It's still on my short list though, and would be if I had a chance to autobahn my car. ShaftMasters, The Axle Exchange, 2 good places to look for them but there seems to be a shortage these days (American Muscle mentioned when I inquired that their v6 11+ shafts from Axle Exchange will be back in stock 12-14th this month for Manual, TBA for Auto).
Old 01-08-2012, 01:22 AM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

tyres...hehe
Old 01-08-2012, 10:28 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Don't go with a lower gear ratio than 2.73 because if you do, your v6 will drive more like an accord then a mustang.

If your wheels are 17x8 stock, you can put 255/50/17 NT555 tires on there no problem (don't go wider then 255 on the stock rim). Those tires are rated at 168mph so I think you'll be good on the autobahn.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:55 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I was hoping it was right hand drive, that would be cool to see! Congrats on the new car, I'd imagine it is very unique in Italy!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:10 PM
emin
2nd Gear Member

For tune, go with a CAI + Tune combo.

Mufflerwise, I love the Borla ATAK's. They are a bit pricy but the best sounding IMO
Old 01-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Corrado68

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
If your wheels are 17x8 stock, you can put 255/50/17 NT555 tires on there no problem
I believe that the stock rims are 17x7 so the max size would be probably 235/55/17 ?

Quick Reply: Suggested MODS for an European 2011 V6