Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just got a 2006 Mustang V6 looking for ideas..

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 03:41 AM
monkeytooth

Default Just got a 2006 Mustang V6 looking for ideas..

Ok just got a Mustang, been wanting one for a super long time so I am happy bout that. Now that I have it I wanna make this thing beastly. I want it to growl, I want it to just get up and go more than it does. I'm almost positive everything in this Mustang is stock. So who can lay it on me, help me come up with idea's specific to my Mustang? Cause I've no clue where I want to begin, or end...

I know this has likely been discussed ton's of times over with who knows how many other people and there mustangs. I've read a handful myself here and other places. However I still can't make up my mind. Also I am not superbly mechanically incline. So yea that all said.. ideas?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:42 AM
monkeytooth

sorry, miss linked the pix in original post.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:34 AM
JimC

Congratulations on the new car - the first thing to wake it up is to get a CAI and tune for it, American Muscle has a combination package that is good.

Second holy big pictures Batman! Can you resize those and replace them?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 AM
djoneill
1st Gear Member

Great looking car-- congrats on the purchase! Welcome!

Yes, I 2nd the CAI and tune-- especially if its an auto-- it will really wake up the car to be more enjoyable.

Next up is Mustang GT takeoff sway bars. The base v6 was delivered w/o a rear sway and an undersized front sway. You should be able to pick up some takeoff sways from a GT. Coupe rear sways have black links and vert have white-- although I think Ford went to vert style sways on all models.

Last up, V6s have the 7.5" rear axle instead of the 8.8" of the GT. Gears are tall on the V6 making the car slower off the line. You can change out the gears on the 7.5" or go with a new take off 8.8" swap (which is what I did).
Old 01-07-2012, 09:41 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Nice! Congrats, CAI + Tune is first, then slap on a single exhaust or go with true duals.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:10 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Congrats and welcome to the Forum! You can also do some dress up mods like new after market rims as well as a different grill and bumper. Check out the Appearance Forums and see what other members on here have done.
Happy Modding!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 PM
monkeytooth

Thank you everyone for the replies, I will deffinately be looking into the CAI/Tune thing. I was thinking about duals but I think I'm going to have to get a whole new bumper for that. Am I right in that assumption? I know this Mustang can get some nice cosmetic mods, but for the moment at least I am tempting to avoid mods like that. I really want the car inside to growl like a beast and have the power to back it. Eventually I will move on to the cosmetics inside and out. But currently its all about a performance and tuning, one just to make everything all around stronger but also to make sure it stays healthy..

On a side note apart from my original question. I noticed today while driving over the speed bumps in my complex that my mustang is making a metal on metal clank sound appears to be coming from both sides near the wheels. I want to say I think its the bushings on the control arms but I'd like to see if I could get your guys opinions on that as well.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:15 AM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

cai and tune is without a doubt the place to start

if you didnt want a new rear bumper yet, but would get one eventually, and want dual exhaust, theres a template you can print out and tape on the stock bumper so you can cut it out. Im not a fan of cutting the bumper for a second exhaust pipe, but if it would be temporary, it wouldnt be a big deal.

the manliest axleback sound i could find clips of was borla...but everyone has different opinions on which exhaust sounds coolest. if you stick with single exhaust though, i will tell you my single borla axleback puts out a deep, loud enough to be noticed by everyone during the day but not loud enough to **** off neighbors at night, sound. Though I wish i had two pipes solely for looks.

gears arent a bad idea. they will make the car feel alot faster off the line.

there are alot of bolt ons that will add a couple horsepower here and there...but imo, very few are worth it for the price. i dont know what your budget is, but id save any additional money toward a supercharger

in reference to your speed bump remark...im not sure what you were driving before, but when i went from an expedition to a mustang, i wasnt used to the stiff suspension at all and thought the same kinda things. something totally could be wrong though, so dont cross that out
Old 01-08-2012, 10:32 AM
amustangrocks
2nd Gear Member

dual exhaust is a must. not that it nets any huge performance gains, it does sound better, breaths better and most important does not look stupid.this was the very first thing i had to do to mine, i couldnt stand that sngl muffler. dont know what fords was thinking at the time, but now just about every car on the road, even the little compacts comes with duals. its really easy to trim the little notch in the bumper for free. its real soft plastic and cuts real easy. i used a die grinder, but guys have used jig saws, utility knives, sanding drums in drills, dremels, tin snips ect to make the small notch. i like the V6 bumper notched more than the gt bumper myself and there is no reason to replace it.

then i went with the cai/tuner combo,,,that will wake it up
Attached Thumbnails Just got a 2006 Mustang V6 looking for ideas..-dscf0878.jpg   Just got a 2006 Mustang V6 looking for ideas..-dscf0272.jpg  

Last edited by amustangrocks; 01-08-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:52 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
i like the V6 bumper notched more than the gt bumper myself and there is no reason to replace it.
other than it would bug me that part of my car is kinda ghetto rigged. but agreed, i dont like the lip on the gt bumper like i do the plain and clean look of the v6

Quick Reply: Just got a 2006 Mustang V6 looking for ideas..