Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 premium or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 PM
djoneill
1st Gear Member

If you have to ask, go with the base. Premium costs too much extra unless you really want it. I really wanted lather and the other gizmos- but i'm a relatively old guy. You can always add leather for a few hundred later.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:38 PM
jakegoku
1st Gear Member

I got the GT Premium, and definitely worth every penny. Though, if you're teetering between GT base and V6 premium, get a GT base. It's amazing.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

With the premium package, or any of the options, there are some good parts as well as some parts of the packages that I did not want. The standard radio is fine, so I did not want the entertainment package. The side stripes are not for me. I can't see paying $995. for some of the options, when you can purchase aftermarket parts that are better and cost less. I guess if you are not mechanically inclined, the premium package is the way to go, as you would have to pay someone to install the parts for you. I got the base since I wanted to decide which options I wanted, without having to live with options I didn't want. I have aftermarket 18" wheels and tires, as the 19" tires are hard to find, and very expensive. I installed aftermarket suspension, as the upgraded suspension was not much different than the base suspension. I installed 3.73 gears, as the 3.31 gears still do not place the V6 into the correct powerband. I also installed a supercharger, aftermarket seats, rear vinyl applique, because I did not want to get a Shelby GTS, but wanted the same horsepower. I installed a billet grille because I did not want the plastic grilles offered by Ford. I retrofitted projectors in my OEM headlights because I wanted better than stock HID headlights. You get the picture. That is what a mustang is all about. Making it special for you, not buying a package that most owners get, while still either saving money, or getting better quality and performance.

My payments are $475.00 for 3 years. I would have been looking at the same amount for an additional two years. That is $11,400.00 extra. I have spent an additional $10,000, and almost have the car the way it should have been offered by Ford. My car is a screamer, but it does not give any clues how fast it is. Exactly what I wanted.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Tex-stang
2nd Gear Member

Im very happy with the premium set up I got. Saved me from having to change some things that I could have right off the bat.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

My Mustang it a deluxe, but has the IUP upgrade. That means it has the silver dash and leather steering wheel. If that its an option in the new ones you may want to check it out.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I wanted the Premium stuff so that I wouldn't have to add it later.
See you need to get a good deal on the car you want then compare it to "what if" you got a deluxe or base and added the extras later.
With all the incentives and rebates plus purchasing it on the X plan, I got it for waaay less than the sticker price.

Shop around and don't jump on the first deal you come to.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

We opted for the premium v6 back in 2005. The base was just too plain for our liking. The upgraded interior stuff made it an easy choice, and the price was not that much different.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:10 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I went the cheap $17,087 V6 route and added my own "Premium" items.
$4K in mods later and its all mine. Whats the fun buying a modded up
stang. The fun is in the modding, not the buying.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:11 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
I went the cheap $17,087 V6 route and added my own "Premium" items.
$4K in mods later and its all mine. Whats the fun buying a modded up
stang. The fun is in the modding, not the buying.
True, it's is addictive modding our stangs, but I think of the $$$ I saved that I used towards other mods that Ford didn't offer. Like my SHR louvers.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I'd definately go to Heller in Escondido. They were the only dealer in SD that was willing to take care of warranty issues for me.

Quick Reply: V6 premium or not?