Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Installed the CAI, Tuner, and upper and lower grille..now a question

Old 02-03-2012, 05:34 PM
CoupeKiller
1st Gear Member

Default Installed the CAI, Tuner, and upper and lower grille..now a question

OK, so I installed them today and I filled up with 89 Octane. Now my question is, can I put an octane booster in the tank to boost the octane to 93 so I can try the 93 Octane tune? also, what's next guys...what should I do next...as you can see from my photo's my car is pretty much stock. I ordered the headlight and side marker tint and it should be here this weekend..but performance wise..what's next?

before and after pics..I cut out the honeycomb center and cleaned it up so you can't see any of it.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:14 PM
CommanderCOOL
2nd Gear Member

Please don't use octane booster! that stuff is garbage and wont work! If you want to change to a different tune which requires a higher octane: drive your car until almost empty. fill up with appropriate octane for tune. THEN upload the tune to your car.

as far as next performance mod think about a new set of rims/tires, shocks and struts, springs, upper/lower control arms, 3.73 gears, 8.8 rear end, dual axle-back exhaust, lightweight driveshaft... just to name a few
Old 02-03-2012, 06:28 PM
CoupeKiller
1st Gear Member

sweet..thanks...all of which I have in my build list from American Muscle...catch is..like I've said before is trying to find someone to install the gears...no...and i mean NO speed shops near me. Im thinking next will be the dual axle back's...then wheels and tires..then gears...wanna get the gears done after I get the fatter back tires. Where can I get the 8.8 rear end and what is the purpose of it?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

You can find the 8.8 several places, but when you are shopping around give JimC a call (message). He seems to have some good prices from a source. The purpose is a stronger axle, positraction, and a higher gear ratio.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:23 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
You can find the 8.8 several places, but when you are shopping around give JimC a call (message). He seems to have some good prices from a source. The purpose is a stronger axle, positraction, and a higher gear ratio.
+1

If you're going with an 8.8, grab one with the 3.73s (or 4.10s if you want to go that steep...) and tloc already included. No point in grabbing an 8.8 with 3.31s just so you can change the gearing in a new axle! You'll notice around here that most (if not all) boosted V6s have switched from the standard 7.5 to 8.8 rear ends. I think the 7.5s are rated to 330ft/lbs trq, and if you ever go forced induction, this is the first thing you'll want to change to maintain reliability! Besides, why hassle with cracking open the 7.5 and having the chance that the tech doesn't do the install correctly, when you can have a much stronger 8.8 with the gears already in place (if you have the cash flow for it)?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:25 PM
CoupeKiller
1st Gear Member

I have the cash flow for it...might take a month or so of saving up (I have kids and one is a pre-teen so he eats like a horse). Good info..thanks guys
Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

No additives with the exception of a good fuel system cleaner every so often. These engines foul up pretty gruesome with many of the additives on the market.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:53 PM
CoupeKiller
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
No additives with the exception of a good fuel system cleaner every so often. These engines foul up pretty gruesome with many of the additives on the market.
Thanks man. I realize some of my questions may come off slightly crazy or stupid..but if I don't ask..sometimes I will just never know until it costs me thousands lol.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

A lot better to ask here than find out the hard way
Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 AM
CommanderCOOL
2nd Gear Member

^^^exactly... we want to help and not see any Seized/blown/broken motor posts!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed the CAI, Tuner, and upper and lower grille..now a question