Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

TSX vs Mustang

Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Btai88

Default TSX vs Mustang

Hey everybody, first post in this lovely forum. Little history about myself... I currently own a 2004 TSX 6spd which i've had for 2 years which i've absolutely loved since day one. However due to a slew of problems its been having due to the age of the car, i am parting ways with it. I am trying to decide between a used 2008-2009 G37S and a 2012 V6 Premium Mustang. I already know everything i need to know about the G37s, but the Mustang i still have some questions. I can't decide whether i should get the Performance Package or not. I know i will not be racing, however i don't want the car to feel like a boat. How does the 2011-2012 Base V6 Mustang's suspension compare to the TSX? Coming from a 2005 Civic, i thought the TSX was pretty firm but of course not true sports car firm. Thank you for your opinions
Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I guess it all depends on what YOU really want.
According to MSN cars, the 2009 Infinity G337S got an 8.7 rating.
The 2012 Mustang got a 9.3.
G37S costs about $27,000-29,100 and THAT's for a used 2009!
2012 Mustang V6 $29,810 for base model....NEW!

G37S Has 330 hp and 270 lbs of torque
'12 Mustang V6 305 hp and 280 lbs of torque

G37S Gas mileage varies from 19/28/23 with a 3.5L engine
Mustang 19/29/31

I would obviously get the Mustang because;

A. It's and American Icon
B. Better on Gas
C. Looks better IMO
D. It's a MUSTANG!

Think about it, which ever forum you go to asking about a specific car, you will get THAT forum's CAR as a number one choice MOST of the time.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Btai88

lol, i know the mustang is the best car for performance/buck ratio which is why i wanted to know how the base mustang v6's handling compares to the 2004-2008 TSX. Right now i'd be sacrificing some luxury for performance... but the way i see it, if the base mustang handles worse than my current car then it would feel like im sacrificing both.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

The handling probably isn't quite as good, but with 600 dollars that can be totally and completely remedied. Pick up a pair of STR.T koni shocks/struts and steeda springs, the mustang will look better and handle better then the TSX.

It comes down to this. The Mustang will look better, sound better, and turn more heads. The G looks kind of boring and like an "average" car. If I pass one on the highway, I don't tend to notice, ya know? The Mustang is immediately identifiable and is a well loved piece of American history and culture. People see you with a Mustang, they are impressed. People see you in a G37, well, anyone who has ever raced one may be impressed, but the 99%? They don't even acknowledge that you exist. The performance level is about the same, just a small sacrifice in handling on the Mustang that can be easily and inexpensively remedied. The debate is between interior style or exterior style. Do you want the car to look good and feel fine or look fine and feel good?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:27 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Also, because I am sure you have asked this question on G37, TSX, and Mustang forums, I would suggest you look to a different market of car owners for your answers. Try asking the Challenger guys, or the Lexus guys. Hell, even try asking the Chevy guys. They may hate Mustangs but they hate imports just as much. Whenever you ask a Mustang guy you will get Mustang as an answer. Same with the G37 and TSX guys.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Have you considered a used GT500 Mustang?? That would turn some heads. =-)
Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Btai88

You are absolutely right MustangFirstCar haha... but so far i've been getting a few good responses here and there. And Kevin... the GT500 would be too much car for me, i'd crash into a tree with that thing in less than an hour.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

I would get a stock v6 unless there's something in the premium package you just 'have' to have (Better handling will not be included..) Spend a few hundred as mentioned, and step into a modified suspension and it'll handle better than the TSX. Out of the box no, it won't - you will be a bit thrown off by the longer wheelbase and bit of added weight, at the same time adjusting to the thrust these v6's do make..

I went from a highly modified 3 series into my stock stang; the suspension was my first stop.. After that was all done, i'd now put it on par with my old bimmer at this point (still different; weights more, and longer wheelbase which adds a little complexity to it for me - but back to feeling like 'on rails').
Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 PM
paul12v6

base V6 is around 23k new (at least that's what I paid). I think it handles OK on corners, it is good for a base model, however at highway speeds it is very comfy for a sports car. Noise is minimal, and it rides smooth. Of course that is with the stock 17's with tall sidewalls.

I would recommend test driving a base v6 and a performance v6 and see what you think!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Btai88
You are absolutely right MustangFirstCar haha... but so far i've been getting a few good responses here and there. And Kevin... the GT500 would be too much car for me, i'd crash into a tree with that thing in less than an hour.
LOL, at least your honest. =-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TSX vs Mustang