Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3.7 MPG and other general DD advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:17 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

Default 3.7 MPG and other general DD advice needed.

Oh, hai guys. This'll be a long read but I would appreciate it if you could bare with me.
Well with the recent spike in fuel prices and the fact that I DD an 05 1500 Ram with a HEMI which give mes 14 mpg city, I've decided to look into a more economical car. My dilemma is between choosing a nicely equipped Fiesta sedan and a decently equipped 3.7. Both cars would be stick but the gas millage is where things start to get muddled for me. The fiesta's city mpg is 29mpg as per fuel economy.gov and the 3.7 is 19. but I believe that doesnt take into account the 3.31 gearing, which is what i would want.
what are you 3.31 3.7 guys getting for city mpg?

the rest is a little less technical. Reason is screaming at me to get a fiesta. the 2013's (for both vehicles) are coming in and by the time im ready to buy the 2012's should be available at good prices, the only downside is that i may not be able to get exactly what i want. I went on ford.com and built both cars.

2012 Fiesta S-
5-speed manual
Upgraded stereo (CD/MPS/Radio)
Illuminated shift ****
Interior illumination package
Supplemental parking lights
Rear spoiler
Central armrest/storage console.
Sports pedals.
Comes to $15,948 sans taxes and licensing.

2012 3.7 Mustang Premium
3.31 rear end
illuminated door sills
leather and IUP (aluminum dash applique)
shaker 500 with siruisu/xm
sync

Comes to $27,707

i would get a base 3.7 but dammit if im getting a mustang I want leather. the IUP stuff i could install myself, and an aftermarket stereo is easily the route to go for sound. any idea on how expensive setting up leather in a 2010+ SI97 would be? if it's cheaper then id go for a much cheaper base 3.7

so im not sure on what to do. i thought about a 4.0 but it gets no mpg improvement over a much cheaper new edge car. hwy is actually worse. it's not worth it imo. especially since most 4.0's in decent shape are still going for $10k+ anywhere near me. for said money i could find a new edge 3.8 with <20k miles and in immaculate condition.

my final question is on the v6 performance package. in short: is it worth it. I know it comes with a better suspension set up and 3.31's. again, is it better to go completely aftermarket and save some money?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Obviously if price and mpg are your most important items the Fiesta is the way to go. I am a big believer in trying to obtain the high end of any particular model which involves 8 cylinders when talking Mustangs so in this case the Fiesta would be my pick. I like you find I get about 14 city and 20 mpg hwy with the 10 Hemi which is just about what I get with the toy. Thank God I do not put much mileage on either. Good luck with the hunt either way.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:29 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

thanks. but im looking at a focus now. $50/ month difference for a more powerful/roomier car. and while it may not get the fiesta's mpg, it would still be a massive improvement on the hemi. only thing that irks me is that a single-tone leather isn't available until the second-highest trim level, which isn't available with a manual.
im really trying hard not to rationalize the mustang. maybe a used 2011? is anyone aware of any rebates or incentives on the 3.7's?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:39 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Get the Focus. I average 33+ MPG combined in my 2011. Great car, comfortable, quick and economical.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My first thought is "troll". My second thought is don't buy the Stang if the fuel mileage is REALLY that important that you compare a Stang with a Fiesta and a Focus (I can't believe I even used those 3 vehicles in the same sentence...).
Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

If fuel economy is your #1 consideration, a Mustang shouldn't even be in the equation. I'm averaging 28 mpg with my '06 4.0L but I do mostly highway driving. I also drive 35,000 miles a year. There are plenty of cars out there that can get far better mileage. But for me, having a car that is a fun ride, holds it's value better than an economy car and won't send you to the poor house is the clear choice. When this engine finally quits on me, I'll replace it. I wouldn't do that with a Fiesta or a Focus.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

Originally Posted by Nuke
My first thought is "troll". My second thought is don't buy the Stang if the fuel mileage is REALLY that important that you compare a Stang with a Fiesta and a Focus (I can't believe I even used those 3 vehicles in the same sentence...).
I know, I was just hoping there was some detail you guys could spring on me that I had over looked with the mustang. And comparing a 30mpg capable Mustang with an economy car , based solely on HWY MPG, isn't unreasonable to me but I digress. Like I said, anything that gets a notable increase in MPG over the ram is a good thing. I'm really trying to look at used compacts but they're not worth the money to try and find in decent shape with low miles.

And when's the last time you saw a troll with 2,000+ posts?

Bitter- I see what you're saying but as far as holding value goes the econo class is pretty well set in stone. Hell, maybe I should look at a fusion.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by simpsonfan13
Bitter- I see what you're saying but as far as holding value goes the econo class is pretty well set in stone. Hell, maybe I should look at a fusion.
It all depends on how long you hold it for. My '68 coupe is worth more than it sold for new. If I'm still around in 40 years, I'll let you know how much my '06 is worth.

In the meantime, if the higher price at the dealer and at the pump is your prime concern, I don't blame you for leaning toward the economies. Mustangs will still be around if and when your finances allow.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I DID say "my FIRST thought..." which was before I opened the thread. Afterwards, I saw the # of posts.

I just found it... odd... that you'd include the Mustang in choices that include Fiesta and Focus as the only other options.

Good luck and happy driving (and modding!), whichever choice you make.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

I think a big chunk of what you will ACTUALLY get in gas mileage will depend on how you drive and what your conditions are like. I drove a Focus recently and while I liked it in general, I was probably at 75% WOT most of the time. In the Mustang, I felt totally comfortable at about 40% WOT on stock gearing.

My point is don't buy into the EPA MPG figures too far, because they are only really accurate for a very narrow range of conditions that may never happen out in your part of the real world. Which would you rather come out of work into the parking lot and have waiting there for you?

Quick Reply: 3.7 MPG and other general DD advice needed.