Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need V6 Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM
mustangmedic90

I just bought a new 2012 kona v6, i have to say for a v6 does that motor pull its a fun car so far and cant wait to upgrade the exhaust system and intake, great car!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:59 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

For some of you guys out there let me ask you, have any of you driven a 2011+ 3.7l V6?

It is a completely new engine that blows away the previous 4.0 V6 and has 10 Hp less than the 2010 V8 GT's. Couple it with a CAI/tune and 3.73's and it pulls just as hard as the 5.0's and eats BMW M4's.

My suggestion for someone who may be considering the V6 mustang to seriously look at the V6 Coupe with the performance package. You'll be glad you did
Old 04-14-2012, 08:38 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
For some of you guys out there let me ask you, have any of you driven a 2011+ 3.7l V6?

It is a completely new engine that blows away the previous 4.0 V6 and has 10 Hp less than the 2010 V8 GT's. Couple it with a CAI/tune and 3.73's and it pulls just as hard as the 5.0's and eats BMW M4's.

My suggestion for someone who may be considering the V6 mustang to seriously look at the V6 Coupe with the performance package. You'll be glad you did
LOL

Have YOU driven a 5.0? The V6 lacks some serious torque compared to the 5.0 and even the "old" 4.6 3V. It isn't all about horsepower!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 PM
06_footy
2nd Gear Member

I've had my 12' V6 for two weeks today. Its been so much fun to drive. I've had V8's before but this thing is just a joy to drive. Might be why there's 713miles on it. I bought it with 28miles on the odo. I get bored with vehicles easily myself.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:10 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
LOL

Have YOU driven a 5.0? The V6 lacks some serious torque compared to the 5.0 and even the "old" 4.6 3V. It isn't all about horsepower!
LoL! have you driven a new V6 lately?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:14 PM
JimC

I drove one just yesterday. The new V6 has a lot more than the old 4.0 - although with my Xcharger it isn't close LOL. But I liked the feel of it and can see some more potential with the 3.7.

I find it funny that most of the people bashing the V6 have never taken their V8 on the track - so you have the power but don't use it; just like the majority of people who buy Jeeps never take them off-road. I am weighing my new car options right now, and not sure I can justify the $5,000 extra that the 5.0 will cost for my use.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:24 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
LoL! have you driven a new V6 lately?
Good point. I will test drive one this week while getting the oil changed on my GT and report back...
Old 04-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I drove one just yesterday. The new V6 has a lot more than the old 4.0 - although with my Xcharger it isn't close LOL. But I liked the feel of it and can see some more potential with the 3.7.

I find it funny that most of the people bashing the V6 have never taken their V8 on the track - so you have the power but don't use it; just like the majority of people who buy Jeeps never take them off-road. I am weighing my new car options right now, and not sure I can justify the $5,000 extra that the 5.0 will cost for my use.
That's kind of what I thought (5k price difference), but if you check out truecar they set you up with salesmen that give you that price. Right now I have one talked down to 24.5 on a 30k 2012 5.0 but its still a couple grand more than I wanted to spend comfortably. So I'm checking out his prices on a 2012 premium V6 and a 2013 base V6 with a couple options like the Racaros and 3.31. I'm guess the V6's will only be a grand or so cheaper, but have yet to get the quotes. I don't know either how much I would ever really use the 400+hp. Seems like 300hp for a daily driver would be enough, although I know the torque isn't the best on the 6 either. I don't know, I probably should find a couple to actually test drive. Funny thing is there aren't any in my area and I would have to drive a good couple hours to get to one. btw, there is a premium V6 in my area, but its an auto and there is a 2012 5.0, but its an auto also. The dealer that can get the base 5.0 doesn't even have it there and I'm a little skeptical of buying a car I haven't actually seen or driven in person.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:26 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

it was a tough choice for me as well when i purchased my 2012 V6. There was a 5 thousand dollar difference between the V6 base and the V6 Premium. Are leather seats, Sirius radio, cheap stripes and a wimpy spoiler worth 5-6 grand? Not to me they aren't.

Tack on another 10 grand over the V6 base price and you get those same creature features on a GT plus a beast V8. Heck that 305 Hp V6 is starting to look better as a daily driver. Especially if Im the chump having to pay for it for the next 5 years on a limited budget.

I have not seen any difference between a base GT and base V6 interior and minor differences in the exterior, mainly just the front bumpers are different. Worth 10 grand? nope.

The only thing I do regret is not getting the V6 Performance package cause now Im stuck having to upgrade as I get the dough, but i guess upgrading is part of the fun of owning a Mustang...
Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

I hear ya Captain. Some of the reasons I'm considering the 2013 V6 (besides the cool taillights and revised front end) are the HID's and leather steering wheel standard. Add the Recaros for about a grand and maybe the gears and you've got a lot of the 2012 premium for less. The only downsides from not getting a 2012 premium are the mycolor and stereo (not too big a deal for me) and the smaller wheels. Although I may have an 18 or 19" set from my Genesis Coupe that I could use. What do you guys think, maybe change the center cap to something else of course? Plus it looks like they are putting out some discounts on the 13's already.

Quick Reply: Need V6 Opinions?