Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My new 2012 v6 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:36 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Default My new 2012 v6 Coupe

This was a Christmas present to myself and my first new car bought from a dealership's lot. I got it last December '11 and paid $22,000 out the door for it.

Its a base V6 with manual 6 speed and has 2:73 rear end. I really wanted this one because honestly, it was more affordable and I would be able to customize it my way and I thought it looked sharp in race red. This is my 2nd stang the last was a '84 Gt turbo.

The only mod if you want to call it that, was to tint the windows but since Im into high speed cruising more than 1/4 mile times the first mod I would like to do is to change my front end and keep the air from getting under the chassis and to install a rear spoiler.

Im looking at the GT front bumper take off from Roush, http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2010-2012.html and then adding the Boss 302's grill and lower valiance/splitter. Other two options were to spend a few bucks more and go for the Roush front end http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2010-2012.html or maybe even the Saleen front end from A.M. http://www.americanmuscle.com/saleen...scia-1012.html they all look sharp but cost wise I think the GT's front end take off and adding the boss 302 lower valiance and splitter would be cheaper.

Then of course Im looking at the GT500 spoiler or the Roush spoiler.

I want the front end and rear spoiler to be more functional than just for looks. So far I'm leaning towards the Saleen front end.

Suspension mod's are also in the words, Im leaning towards Fords v6 suspension package and the GT500 wheels from A.M.

Tell me what you guys think, all opinions and ideas welcomed of course. So far Im really enjoying this car, ford did a great job with these new 3.7's!

I guess because Im a new guy it won't let me post pics here, however pics of the car are up on my profile if anyone wants to take a peek at it.

Last edited by CaptainRon; 03-27-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

On a street car, doing the speed limit, those parts are merely cosmetic. In fact, you probably can't even get the V6 up to a speed that would require the parts to even be there, at least not on surface streets, and most certainly not legally.

In short, go with what you like the most visually.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

I just bought a base model V6 with no options. The first very obvious thing that needs improvement is the handling. If it were me, I'd pass on the expensive cosmetic stuff and look into suspension parts asap.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Tex-stang
2nd Gear Member

I like race red. Congrats!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
I just bought a base model V6 with no options. The first very obvious thing that needs improvement is the handling. If it were me, I'd pass on the expensive cosmetic stuff and look into suspension parts asap.
That's pretty much what my thoughts were. I just ordered the Boss 302 front strut brace from A.M. I'm also considering the Stillen chin spoiler and GT500 spoiler over the summer.
I wouldn't be able to upgrade the suspension and wheels/tires until tax return time next year....
Old 04-01-2012, 08:53 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:09 PM
TommyB681
2nd Gear Member

congrats enjoy the car have fun
Old 04-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Mgk3961

Ok so the guy that said the handling was noticeably bad and the v6 needs suspension upgrades has no clue what hes talking about. The 2012 v6 mustang pulls .95g on the skidpad with factory tires. Just a few years ago most sports cars dreamed of that number, let alone a v6 mustang. I do agree with another poster that the body changes will be visual, not functional. You would never notice another 50 pounds of down force at 90 mph, if you ever even got to that speed.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mgk3961
Ok so the guy that said the handling was noticeably bad and the v6 needs suspension upgrades has no clue what hes talking about. The 2012 v6 mustang pulls .95g on the skidpad with factory tires. Just a few years ago most sports cars dreamed of that number, let alone a v6 mustang. I do agree with another poster that the body changes will be visual, not functional. You would never notice another 50 pounds of down force at 90 mph, if you ever even got to that speed.
I'm pretty sure by suspension parts he meant to get rid of the floating 'boat' feeling and lack of connection with the road. (A good set of wider sticky tires helps here too) Personally the lean in these things stock is crazy, and although it can be 'made' to handle decently stock - it's a far, far cry from stable and solid that an aftermarket suspension reducing body roll, height, and load shift, would provide. (Not to mention the reduction in rear lift from brakes that a tighter suspension also gives).

Albiet I'm picky, having had to work so hard to get this thing handling like I'm used to my cars handling.. IRS can't come soon enough.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Guys I live in TEXAS, we're one of 7 states I believe that raised their speed limits from 75 to 80mph on most rural highways.
First thing Im doing is replacing my LCA with Ford racing GT500 style LCA's. Then Im going to replace the springs next to lower it.

Quick Reply: My new 2012 v6 Coupe