Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What a long, strange, interesting and FUN trip it's been.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Default What a long, strange, interesting and FUN trip it's been.

Been offline for a wee bit... as I was in the process of MOVING. Lemme tellya.... MOVING (especially cross-country) SUCKS! As it were, I embarked on my long journey after seeing the Wife to the Airport... and seeing all the earthly possession packed on a big ole Mayflower truck....

So that left ME, the 'Stang, three Boxer dogs, a CAT, a 2001 Vulcan Drifter motorcycle and a Load-Rite trailer....

Load up the bike... the car... pile the dogs and the cat in... and we ROLL from Dingmans Ferry, PA to Cape Coral, FL. A total distance in excess of 1200 miles.

Mind you, my '05 4.0l S197 has.... 130K miles on it. So... in prep, I did the following:

Ball Joints were roasted... that had resulted in the front tires being roasted... so to get her through inspection, I replaced the *****... then finally the tires.

That wasn't necessarily pre-trip requirement.... but I didn't wanna drive that distance on front tires that were marginal at best.

Oil change with fresh synthetic and motorcraft filter.
Changed the serp belt (it was original equip)
Changed idler and tensioner pulleys (cheap and easy)
Cleaned and re-oiled K&N air filter.
Spark Plugs

That was about all....

Car didn't skip a beat all the way down... however, once I got "South" where posted interstate speed limits are 70mph, what with pulling the trailer the fuel economy took a nose dive. 'Puter was telling me 20 mpg all the way before... dropped to 16 mpg once I was rolling at 70.

I never thought to re-flash the ICM with the 86 Octane "economy" tune.... DUH! Oh well.... I don't know if it would have made much difference.

Solid little cars these Mustangs!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

Three dogs and a cat, lol....glad you had a safe trip, that's a long one for sure.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

I can't imagine having all those animals in the car with you. I travelled from West Palm Beach up here to NC with my Rottie, Golden and the wife's cat in a U-haul and it was Cramped.

glad you made it safely.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

How about Kentucky to Chicago, then Chicago to Vicksburg, MS, then to Tanpa, FL in a 2 1/2 year period, each trip including the moving truck [lus second trips to get the boat and haul it with the SUV (which is my DD)?

Plus, my Stang is my long distance trip queen and has seen quite a few 3000 mile trips. I drive her MAYBE once every 2-4 weeks and I have over 38k miles on her. Sweet and fun cars, amen.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

'Stangs are great over-the-road machines. Whilst "performance" or "Muscle" cars they are... their underpinnings and appointments make for comfy long-haul crusing. I've been in cars for long periods where I thought it would take a crowbar to get me out... a 1991 Sundance I drove from NJ to OH... was HORRIBLE.

That's some Haulin' Nuke. Nicely done.

JeffK: What colour is your 'Stang? Looks like Sonic Blue as mine is... but I thought that was only available in '05? Very nice.

Dean: Thanks for the reply. Yes... it ended up being a nice road-trip. Critters and all. COuld have been a nightmare, but everyone behaved!

Oh... and WTF is UP with the HORIZONTALLY ORIENTED traffic lights in Northern FL. I ran TWO of them before I figured that crap out. Can't imagine how the colour blind navigate them.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Mine is color code G9, Vista Blue.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Ah, now I see it. The one pic in your sig on the RH side looks more like Sonic. Always been partial to blue and SCREAMING YELLOW myself. ;-)
Old 04-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Me too! Must be a PA thing