Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2007 Mustang V6 Mods Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 PM
pardopachiv
1st Gear Member

Default 2007 Mustang V6 Mods Suggestions

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about doing few mods to my 07 V6 pony. I have a list of modificaitons I would like to do; your suggestions and insights are much appreciated.

1. Ford Racing Air Intake Kit with the Pro Cal tool (Does any one have experience using FRPP's Pro Cal tuner? or I can switch it to SCT3. Compare to other major brand of CAI like K&N, JLT, Airaid, C&L and AEM, how is the reliability anf performance of FRPP CAI?) K&N and JLT are the most likely alternatives I have in mind.

2.FRPP 7.5" 3.73 Ring&Pinion and installation kit, FRPP Traction Lok, any other parts should I install when changing the gear ratio?

3.FRPP Single Rear Axle Back "Touring"

4. BBK Throttle Body 70mm; I read that TB Spacer is a waste of money...so I probably will pass on it.

5. Screaming Demon Coil with live wires and upgraded sparks (any quality live wires and sparks for suggestion? Is this mod worth doing or not?)

6. Underdrive Pulley, as far as I know, ASP would be my only choice so far.

7. JBA Cat4ward Shorty Headers (debating, some say it just give better sound not performance-wise)

Lots of questions, again, your help is much appreciated!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pardopachiv
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about doing few mods to my 07 V6 pony. I have a list of modificaitons I would like to do; your suggestions and insights are much appreciated.

1. Ford Racing Air Intake Kit with the Pro Cal tool (Does any one have experience using FRPP's Pro Cal tuner? or I can switch it to SCT3. Compare to other major brand of CAI like K&N, JLT, Airaid, C&L and AEM, how is the reliability anf performance of FRPP CAI?) K&N and JLT are the most likely alternatives I have in mind.
The FRPP tune is basically the Bullitt tune and is somewhat lame compared to tunes from the likes of AM and Brenspeed; probably about 5-10 RWHP shy. As far as the CAI, they're all equivalent in performance. Pick what you think looks best and suits your wallet.

2.FRPP 7.5" 3.73 Ring&Pinion and installation kit, FRPP Traction Lok, any other parts should I install when changing the gear ratio?
I'd swap out for an 8. And the SCT tuner will allow you to adjust for the gear change to keep the speedometer accurate.

3.FRPP Single Rear Axle Back "Touring"
?? Do you mean the axleback exhaust? You might gain a small bit of sound improvement but no power gain.

4. BBK Throttle Body 70mm; I read that TB Spacer is a waste of money...so I probably will pass on it.
Aftermarket TB's are useless unless you have some serious mods that require a LOT of air. The stock TB can handle a good deal more than you'll be asking of it. And if you buy a TB spacer, you'll be required to turn in your man-card.

5. Screaming Demon Coil with live wires and upgraded sparks (any quality live wires and sparks for suggestion? Is this mod worth doing or not?)
Aftermarket COPS won't do anything for you and have been known to be troublesome.

6. Underdrive Pulley, as far as I know, ASP would be my only choice so far.
UDP's should gain you a few (3-5) RWHP. There are a # of manufacturers.

7. JBA Cat4ward Shorty Headers (debating, some say it just give better sound not performance-wise)
Shorties, IMO, aren't worth the $$ and effort. Little gains.

Lots of questions, again, your help is much appreciated!
See stuff in read above.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 PM
pardopachiv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
See stuff in read above.
Thanks a Lot Bro!

So, you suggest that TB, UDP and Coil are not worth doing, dont you?

Then, do you have any other suggestions for cost effective mods other than throwing big money on things such as supercharge or turbo?

Appreciate.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 PM
pardopachiv
1st Gear Member

See stuff in read above.
And, I probably will stick with the axleback exhaust, converting to duals is just too much money and work; and personally, I dont think they would gain me too much power other than sound...how do you think?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:37 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, pardopachiv!

I'd stick with a CAI/tune from the likes of Brenspeed and Americanmuscle. Both have huge customer bases for a reason, and most of us here are running their tunes or custom dyno tunes (I run americanmuscle). Get whichever CAI that's compatible with the SCT that you like. They all have the same function and as long as you have a heat shield so that the air flowing in to the filter stays as cold as possible, you're set.

You can grab 3.73s and have a shop install. But some experience gear whine. You may just be better off with an 8.8 rear end with 3.73s already installed. Depends on your budget, but it may be worth it.

Throttle bodies are useless unless you're using large shots of nitrous or under forced induction.

I've heard the wires really don't work. Just a waste of hard-earned money.

Shorty headers will improve your exhaust note, but for the price, really not a performance mod. You might see a couple of hp out of it, but nothing noticeable. Definitely takes out some raspiness in the upper rpms that plague the V6.

Some members here run an aluminum driveshaft. Gets rid of worries of failure if you extend your speedometer past 110mph on occasion. I can't remember the exact number but I want to say 110 or 113. The driveshaft also weighs a heck of a lot less than the OEM driveshaft which of course reduces the rotational mass and frees up a few ponies lost between the crankshaft and the wheels.

Welcome to the modding world! Good luck holding on to your wallet! haha
Old 04-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

And, I probably will stick with the axleback exhaust, converting to duals is just too much money and work; and personally, I dont think they would gain me too much power other than sound...how do you think?
You can convert to duals for under $300. Buy some GT takeoffs(up to $100), have an exhaust shop build you the rest(under $200). Better sound and looks 100% better.

Go for the Ford CAI and SCT tuner combo. This was one of the last mods I did, looking back I would do it first if I did it again. If fact these two mods would be the first two I would do. Under a grand and it makes a big difference.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Thanks a Lot Bro!

So, you suggest that TB, UDP and Coil are not worth doing, dont you?

Then, do you have any other suggestions for cost effective mods other than throwing big money on things such as supercharge or turbo?

Appreciate.
Scrap your plans for the TB and COP's but the UDP is probably worth doing. The problem is, that after the CAI & tune, most other power gainer mods are small change. But they add up. UDP's, aluminum DS, lighter wheels all increase the drive train efficiency so the difference between your crank HP and RWHP is less (your effectively putting more of the crank power to the wheels).
Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 PM
pardopachiv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
Welcome to the forums, pardopachiv!

I'd stick with a CAI/tune from the likes of Brenspeed and Americanmuscle. Both have huge customer bases for a reason, and most of us here are running their tunes or custom dyno tunes (I run americanmuscle). Get whichever CAI that's compatible with the SCT that you like. They all have the same function and as long as you have a heat shield so that the air flowing in to the filter stays as cold as possible, you're set.

You can grab 3.73s and have a shop install. But some experience gear whine. You may just be better off with an 8.8 rear end with 3.73s already installed. Depends on your budget, but it may be worth it.

Throttle bodies are useless unless you're using large shots of nitrous or under forced induction.

I've heard the wires really don't work. Just a waste of hard-earned money.

Shorty headers will improve your exhaust note, but for the price, really not a performance mod. You might see a couple of hp out of it, but nothing noticeable. Definitely takes out some raspiness in the upper rpms that plague the V6.

Some members here run an aluminum driveshaft. Gets rid of worries of failure if you extend your speedometer past 110mph on occasion. I can't remember the exact number but I want to say 110 or 113. The driveshaft also weighs a heck of a lot less than the OEM driveshaft which of course reduces the rotational mass and frees up a few ponies lost between the crankshaft and the wheels.

Welcome to the modding world! Good luck holding on to your wallet! haha
I will consider upgrading to 8.8 rear end with 3.73 ratio.
Then what are the parts I should be looking into? Like Ford Racing GT 8.8 3.73 gear and installation kit? Maybe T-lok for 8.8 and aluminum driveshaft for GT (could it be applied to the V6?) ?

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:39 PM
pardopachiv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hotwheelracer
You can convert to duals for under $300. Buy some GT takeoffs(up to $100), have an exhaust shop build you the rest(under $200). Better sound and looks 100% better.

Go for the Ford CAI and SCT tuner combo. This was one of the last mods I did, looking back I would do it first if I did it again. If fact these two mods would be the first two I would do. Under a grand and it makes a big difference.
Well, in my city, labor cost is insane...I would say it will cost me 300 to 400 at least just for the labor alone...I went to the Minute Muffler Shop (the muffler shop we have here), and they told it's about 1,000 bucks to make me a dual system (I have to figure out cutting the rear bumper somewhere else, or DIY)...

I probably will go with FRPP CAI with SCT tuner, but American Muscle does not offer this combo anymore, probably have to purchase them separately.

Thank you
Old 04-14-2012, 12:47 PM
pardopachiv
1st Gear Member

Scrap your plans for the TB and COP's but the UDP is probably worth doing. The problem is, that after the CAI & tune, most other power gainer mods are small change. But they add up. UDP's, aluminum DS, lighter wheels all increase the drive train efficiency so the difference between your crank HP and RWHP is less (your effectively putting more of the crank power to the wheels).
Could you advise me some quality UDP brand you have in mind? I
I see some guys have alternator pulley mods, how different is that?
For the aluminum DS, could I apply the GT DS to the 07 V6? As well as the GT UDP, is it appliable to the V6? I found no UDP and DS on American Muscle offering to the V6...

Quick Reply: 2007 Mustang V6 Mods Suggestions