Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

10" stripes or 12" stripes

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:30 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default 10" stripes or 12" stripes

I'm planning on purchasing some silver racing stripes from AM of my CAI sells anytime soon. Should I get 10" or 12" stripes? Anyone know how wide the stock Shelby stripes are? I like that size a lot.

Also I'm not installing them simply because it seems like a huge headache and very time consuming. Anyone have any rough estimates of the cost to have them installed?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

All of the Shelby's I've seen at the local dealers had 4-inch stripes. I'm having 10-inch put on my car on Monday (was supposed to be this week, but some of my stars fell out of alignment).
Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I know new Shelby's have Smaller ones but I'm talking about 07-09 shelbys
Ideally I want this exact look http://www.autospies.com/images/user...-Shelby-GT.jpg

Last edited by maxshuty; 04-25-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 AM
05windviel
2nd Gear Member

i personally plan on going with the 10" stripes. In terms of getting estimates for stripes being installed i'd definately shop around as much as possible, if you plan on going all the way down the bumpers a lot of shops are going to be leary on it because its such a pain. I've had companies quote me 500-600 just to install them. After doing some C-stripes on my v6 i think i might feel comfortable enough to do the stripes on my GT now myself. It really isn't too bad as long as you keep everything wet and take your time.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

For me I think the 12 looks the best 10 looks to skinny
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Gosh I'm really having trouble deciding, now I can't even decide between blue or silver. I've got a "retro" theme going on so I think silver or that but idk! And 10 or 12" ahh! I want to pull the plug today so I can hopefully get them put on within the next week...
Old 04-26-2012, 06:33 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05windviel
i personally plan on going with the 10" stripes. In terms of getting estimates for stripes being installed i'd definately shop around as much as possible, if you plan on going all the way down the bumpers a lot of shops are going to be leary on it because its such a pain. I've had companies quote me 500-600 just to install them.
I'm paying $1500 for my stripes - they actually paint the vinyl any color you want, and then die cut the stripes to fit whatever body work you have. This includes the appropriate taper as the stripes come down the hood to keep them looking like they're the same width as you're looking at the car from the front.

My stripes will be guardsman blue.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:34 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
I know new Shelby's have Smaller ones but I'm talking about 07-09 shelbys
Ideally I want this exact look http://www.autospies.com/images/user...-Shelby-GT.jpg
Those are 10-inch stripes.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:36 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
Gosh I'm really having trouble deciding, now I can't even decide between blue or silver. I've got a "retro" theme going on so I think silver or that but idk! And 10 or 12" ahh! I want to pull the plug today so I can hopefully get them put on within the next week...
Even if you pick "blue", you have to decide what shade. Vista blue, or maybe even the new 2013 deep impact blue might be nice. If you're going truly retro, guardsman blue is your only real choice.

Don't forget to also get the rocker stripes. It makes the car look shorter in height, but longer in length.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

I didn't know install costs were so high on stripes. I did my own, bumper to bumper, over about 4-5 hours. It wasn't THAT hard. I'd never consider paying more than about $100 to have them installed. Anyway, go WIDE. I'd do the 12's.

Anyone want to hire me? I'll charge half of what they quote you. Oh. And a six pack of the finest porter you can get.

Quick Reply: 10" stripes or 12" stripes