Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust & Headers questions?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 02:22 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default Exhaust & Headers questions?????

I just got my stang like 3 1/2 weeks ago (on Aug 30th) from a private seller who paid for it in full! He had a Jeep and another truck I believe and his wife had a BMW. He never really drove it, kept it in his garage said he liked his Jeep more. When he got it it had 565 miles on it when I got it from him it had 2800 miles. Got it for $18,000 but my loan was for a Licensed Dealer so I had my Uncle who just happened to be a licenced dealer pick it up. Came out to $19,600 with tags 7 taxes. Im not even at 4100 yet which brings me too why I posted.

1. First off the engine is barely starting to break in at 4,000 miles, it has not even been serviced yet! Should I wait till at least 10,000 miles so the engine is broke in more to put exhaust on?

2 New aftermarket exhaust won't trip the check engine light or anything like that afterwards? I won't have any problems? ( All of my car is stock)

3. I want to go true dual with headers. 2 cats , 2 mufflers. I have been looking into JBA, they only seem to have the real dual set up. All the others are just for (dual look) one muffler one cat. Are there any others that have a true dual set up that sound good.

4. The reason Im looking into JBA is cause they have the most Americanized sound I feel. Magnaflow is good, I had magnaflow on my 2.8L 85 Camaro. It gave it a more sporty sound dont really want it for my 4.0L. I heard the sound clips of the axel back for the 2005 mustang v6, it sounds alright not too much of what Im looking for. I would go with magnaflow if I had a BMW or an 350Z , Jetta or something along that line. Well theres Flowmaster too but for one, everyone wants or has Flowmasters. Plus I heard it's not worth even going with them unless you have a V8. I heard a Monte Carlo 3.8 with Flowmasters it was too quiet for me, more like a quiet humming. I heard a JBA clip from sombody on this sight that has JBA Headers & true dual Exhaust plus I heard the sound clips on the web site and its sounds more like what I want. JBA seems like it has a hollower sound to it, a little more deeper that the other aftermarket exhausts give. Lots of snap.crackle, and popping too which I dont mind at all Does Borla make headers & exhuast true dual?

5. How do I go about getting a rear bumper? Are they hard to come by? Do I go to the dealership to order on or what? Im thinking of just getting my bumper cut for the time being then get a body kit after I pay the exhaust off.

6. What is the difference in Longtube headers & Shorttube headers? Is one more horse & Torq than the other? What is the diff between ceramic coated headers and if there silver or Titanium?

7. How much Horsepower & Torque gain will I gain? 20 at the least right?

I really would apprecieate any sound clips, imput or feedback from anyone

Let me know what ya'll think about the JBA true dual Set up

Old 09-19-2005, 05:51 AM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Exhaust & Headers questions?????

If I had waited I would have gotten the JBA true duals. If you get long tube headers you will have to modify the exhaust and/or get rid of the cats. From what I understand, headers don't really help much. If you get headers, I would get the JBAs.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:40 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

the JBA headers on my car helped a lot. There was a noticeable increase in hp/tq and the sound... just opened 'er right up with quicker, harder, louder revs. I've posted sound clips on these boards many times... try a search if you're curious.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:32 AM
زoe
1st Gear Member

Ive heard that aftermarket headers always come loose. Like you have to keep re-tightening the bolts, is this true or only for older cars? and I noticed you can see the headers very clearly on the v6, could you put these headers on yourself if you dont have many tools?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:42 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hamidlmt

the JBA headers on my car helped a lot. There was a noticeable increase in hp/tq and the sound... just opened 'er right up with quicker, harder, louder revs. I've posted sound clips on these boards many times... try a search if you're curious.
How much did your mod set you back, including installation (if you didn't do it yourself)? You bought headers and true dualies, right?

Thing is, I'd like to spend that $2K Walmart gave me on some performance mods, too, not just body kits.