Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

True Duals on 2008 v6

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 PM
bbrannan

Default True Duals on 2008 v6

Ok...I recently got back into the pony scene and almost forgot how much fun it is. So far, the only thing that I have done is to replace the stock exhaust with a GT takeoff. I would really like to convert to true duals but I am not sure exactly what parts I will need. I already have the left GT takeoff but other than that, I am not sure. I apologize for being the newb here but I am still reading and trying to learn the ins and outs. Let me see if I am right in my thinking here - I need the hangers for the left side as well as a new midpipe. But that is where I get lost. From what I am thinking, there is a Y-pipe that runs from the manifold back to the muffler. Could I simply get a stock GT takeoff midpipe and replace the Y with that? Or am I way off? Thanks in advance and I apologize if this is answered somewhere else. I looked around and searched for several hours but have not been able to find an answer that I completely understood or pertained to me. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:29 PM
2k232
2nd Gear Member

Just take it to a muffler shop. That's the best way to do exhaust work.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bbrannan
Ok...I recently got back into the pony scene and almost forgot how much fun it is. So far, the only thing that I have done is to replace the stock exhaust with a GT takeoff. I would really like to convert to true duals but I am not sure exactly what parts I will need. I already have the left GT takeoff but other than that, I am not sure. I apologize for being the newb here but I am still reading and trying to learn the ins and outs. Let me see if I am right in my thinking here - I need the hangers for the left side as well as a new midpipe. But that is where I get lost. From what I am thinking, there is a Y-pipe that runs from the manifold back to the muffler. Could I simply get a stock GT takeoff midpipe and replace the Y with that? Or am I way off? Thanks in advance and I apologize if this is answered somewhere else. I looked around and searched for several hours but have not been able to find an answer that I completely understood or pertained to me. Thanks!
Close, you will need a second mid-pipe/overaxle pipe. But you will also need the hangars for the second muffler (americanmuscle.com sells them as a pair) plus an H-pipe/X-pipe after the cats, where you'll probably have to get an exhaust shop involved to cut off the Y, and place in the H/X...

I might have missed some things, since I have not done it yet myself. But I believe the shops could easily make you an X/H pipe (I think quite a few members go that route) for cheap, but you can find them on here pretty cheap too... And the ones off of GTs are usually mandrel bent, so you get better piping than what the run of the mill shop will give you.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 PM
bbrannan

Cool! Thanks for the quick replies! I will call around tomorrow to a couple of muffler shops tomorrow and do some checking around. I will post clips once I have it finished!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

I have my stock midpipe that I just took off if you're interested in it.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 PM
bbrannan

Originally Posted by Roush05
I have my stock midpipe that I just took off if you're interested in it.
Definitely interested. What kind of price you asking and what else would I need other than hangers? Also, how difficult is it to do yourself?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

I would take $60 plus shipping. I can get pics if you want. They were taken off at 29,000 miles and still look new. And installing a midpipe is simple.

-Jack up your car/put car on lift
-unplug O2 sensors from Y pipe
-unbolt Y pipe from axlebacks and from headers
-Place H pipe
-bolt h pipe to headers, clamp h pipe to axle back
-reinstall O2 sensors
-done!

for a full dual exhaust? this, your pipe for the side that you are missing from the end of the midpipe to the axlebacks, and your two axlebacks. Shoot me a PM if you want to buy the H pipe and I can have it sent out tomorrow if we make a deal.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yep, a GT take-off exhaust from the cats back is the cheap and
stainless steel way to go. Muffler shop will bend you some aluminized
steel rusts-a-lot tubing and where will you be a couple of years down the road?